Mario Kart 64 Vs. Crash Team Racing

Which Kart Racer?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which Kart Racer?

• Mario Kart 64
    • Crash Team Racing
    • Other...?

To all you CTR bummers:

People have there own opinions. What you think might not be the right way of thinking. Just because somebody doesn't agree with you it doesn't mean they're stupid or have no taste.

"You prefer CTR??? God you must be thick. CTR is a blatant rip off of MK64 and it's just some crappy characters going round a crappy track."

See we can both play at that game. And yes one of you people will probably reply with "Yeah but CTr is better though." or something equally retarded.

Don't give me that people have their own opinions shit.Nobody here is saying your opinion is a piece of shit or whatever.I did respect your opinion until that post.

however your next paragraph throws your first paragraph and your the entire credibility of your post out the window by calling other people's opinions thick and calling posts retarded.Kiss my ass!

nobody is denying that ctr is mario kart influenced but if that's the best you can come up..

We have already stated why we prefer ctr..you're argument about polish is not your opinion it's just stupid.It clearly isn't better polished.It's like saying cruisn is more polished than need for speed..It's just wrong not even opinion worthy. And that is my opinion.

Open your eyes I refuse to believe you gave them both a decent playtime.

Your post is just childish.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is certainly the last thread I expected to turn bitter. This is supposed to be a light-hearted discussion about childhood memories! They were both very well-recieved games, and both have their own respected fan-bases. If anyone doesn't like one or the other, can't we just agree to disagree and not call eachother retards?

I prefer CTA because it had way more characters, way more places that like said before were less bland and also said above was more shortcuts. I also loved that maze on battle mode :D

Of course I might have just liked CTA better because I was a lot younger and wasn't really into game but meh! I still choose CTA :P

Crash theft auto?

Don't give me that people have their own opinions shit.Nobody here is saying your opinion is a piece of shit or whatever.I did respect your opinion until that post.

however your next paragraph throws your first paragraph and your the entire credibility of your post out the window by calling other people's opinions thick and calling posts retarded.Kiss my ass!

nobody is denying that ctr is mario kart influenced but if that's the best you can come up..

We have already stated why we prefer ctr..you're argument about polish is not your opinion it's just stupid.It clearly isn't better polished.It's like saying cruisn is more polished than need for speed..It's just wrong not even opinion worthy. And that is my opinion.

Open your eyes I refuse to believe you gave them both a decent playtime.

Your post is just childish.

Well your third paragraph just proves my first pragraph correct. Apprently I'm "boring on the edge of insanity" and my opinions are "stupid".

And as for my second paragraph, I was just turning around what a lot of you CTR fans have said to show you that you were talking shit. It wasn't a serious arguement, hence the "" marks.

To all you CTR bummers:

People have there own opinions. What you think might not be the right way of thinking. Just because somebody doesn't agree with you it doesn't mean they're stupid or have no taste.

"You prefer CTR??? God you must be thick. CTR is a blatant rip off of MK64 and it's just some crappy characters going round a crappy track."

See we can both play at that game. And yes one of you people will probably reply with "Yeah but CTr is better though." or something equally retarded.

I'm not a CTR bummer.

And the arguments of:

More interesting Tracks

Better/More controllable Boost Systems & Sliding

Better Graphics

Cool Shortcuts

More Skill Involved

aren't retarded things to say whatsoever.

All the MK64 crowd has said is:

MK64's just better Duh

More Polished (which is complete nonsence).

More Fun (how?)

I think those things pretty much prove that we're talking anything but nonsence, and that you really are in love with Mario, not us being Crash Bandicoot Bummers, You've had no real points of how MK64's better whatsoever.

You seem to be amazingly gwumpy that we aren't being fed your "more polished" point....And there's a reason for that you know.

I'm not a CTR bummer.

And the arguments of:

More interesting Tracks

Better Graphics

Cool Shortcuts

More Skill Involved

MK64's just better Duh

More Fun (how?)

I think those things pretty much prove that we're talking anything but nonsence, and that you really are in love with Mario, not us being Crash Bandicoot Bummers, You've had no real points of how MK64's better whatsoever.

You seem to be amazingly gwumpy that we aren't being fed your "more polished" point....And there's a reason for that you know.

this was the post i was meant to make..mine got lost in one of my hatefilled rants somewhere..

well done qouted for truth.

I'm not a CTR bummer.

And the arguments of:

More interesting Tracks

Better Graphics

Cool Shortcuts

More Skill Involved

MK64's just better Duh

More Fun (how?)

I'll have a go:

- great tracks

- great graphics

- great characters

- great music

- great power ups

- great multiplayer

- skillful powersliding

- lots of short cuts to find and exploit

- you can do the feather jump using an action replay

- great memories and its still played today

- great series

Now, I don't know which of these points in particular made you realise that I'm talking about the great Mario Kart 64... but I was, duh. ;)

I'm not a CTR bummer.

And the arguments of:

More interesting Tracks

Better Graphics

Cool Shortcuts

More Skill Involved

MK64's just better Duh

More Fun (how?)

Do you not realise that these are just your opinions. They are not fact as a lot of you seem to think. I could quite easily say that Mario Kart has better tracks. Which I think it does. But you ignorant people would just turn it around and say that I was talking rubbish and it was complete nonsense. Just like you did when I said it was more polished. You can't measure how polished it is. It is all just opinions.

Do you not realise that these are just your opinions. They are not fact as a lot of you seem to think. I could quite easily say that Mario Kart has better tracks. Which I think it does. But you ignorant people would just turn it around and say that I was talking rubbish and it was complete nonsense. Just like you did when I said it was more polished. You can't measure how polished it is. It is all just opinions.

you STILL haven't giving us a proper reason besides that. And polish isnt an opinion in the same way that graphics isn't an opinion..It either is or isn't it's not for you to decide.

I'll have a go:

- great tracks

- great graphics

- great characters

- great music

- great power ups

- great multiplayer

- skillful powersliding

- lots of short cuts to find and exploit

- you can do the feather jump using an action replay

- great memories and its still played today

- great series

Now, I don't know which of these points in particular made you realise that I'm talking about the great Mario Kart 64... but I was, duh. ;)

but all of those points apply to ctr as well(except feather jump and great series cause every other crash nitro kart sucked..and you can look up any review..hell even in gameranking and metacritic the ctr score is higher with more reviews.And you can make fun or whatever the hell you like of that but it's better than the polish argument.

But you haven't played ctr you can't join in on this!

you STILL haven't giving us a proper reason besides that. And polish isnt an opinion in the same way that graphics isn't an opinion..It either is or isn't it's not for you to decide.

but all of those points apply to ctr as well(except feather jump and great series cause every other crash nitro kart sucked..and you can look up any review..hell even in gameranking and metacritic the ctr score is higher with more reviews.And you can make fun or whatever the hell you like of that but it's better than the polish argument.

But you haven't played ctr you can't join in on this!

Yes they apply to both of the games depending on what you PREFER. There is no fact about it. None of your arguements have been fact just like none of mine have been fact. It's all about opinions.

Yes they apply to both of the games depending on what you PREFER. There is no fact about it. None of your arguements have been fact just like none of mine have been fact. It's all about opinions.

true but darksnowmman already admitted to never playing the game so forgive me not taking that opinion seriously.

some of them ARE fact.

FACT: it has MORE tracks

FACT: it has MORE characters

FACT: It has a longer and more in-depth(by far) one player

FACT: It has MORE game modes

FACT: it has MORE battle stages with complete customisable options

FACT: it has better graphics

FACT: it is a far more difficult game.(especially on time trial which is near impossible)So the game is MORE of a challenge on one player.

none of these points can be disputed and in fairness crash team racing is the far newer game so it improved on all of these but they are all FACT...you however have given nothing.

Stuff like controls and better powerups ARE opinion however.

true but darksnowmman already admitted to never playing the game so forgive me not taking that opinion seriously.

some of them ARE fact.

FACT: It has a better and longer one player

none of these points can be disputed and in fairness crash team racing is the far newer game so it improved on all of these but they are all FACT...you however have given nothing.

Actually this one is still opinion. It might be longer but that doesn't mean it's better.

Yes it may have more of everything. But if you prefer MK64 anyway then more stuff in CTR won't be an issue. I prefer the game because it's more fun. That's my opinion and I don't expect to be treated like a retard because of it.

Actually this one is still opinion. It might be longer but that doesn't mean it's better.

Yes it may have more of everything. But if you prefer MK64 anyway then more stuff in CTR won't be an issue. I prefer the game because it's more fun. That's my opinion and I don't expect to be treated like a retard because of it.

ya i changed that line to more in-depth actually.

but still i PREFER it.. you were never treated like a retard..you started it by calling us ctr bummers and calling our posts retarded whereas we have given arguments that you can't beat.I'm the world's biggest mario fan but every so often i will admit when a game is better than his.

it comes to this.. you prefer mario kart 64 but ctr has improves so much on it's formula ....many people haven't played the game compared to the ever popular mario kart 64. Many of us grew up with a playstation instead of an n64 but it was still impossible to avoid mario kart 64 it was everywhere:) So EVERYONE played that game particularly on a nintendo forum.

then other people have voted given nitro kart as a template..that isn't fair everyone knows those games are complete crap..It's like judging mario games on the mario hotel game.

ya i changed that line to more in-depth actually.

but still i PREFER it.. you were never treated like a retard..you started it by calling us ctr bummers and calling our posts retarded whereas we have given arguments that you can't beat.I'm the world's biggest mario fan but every so often i will admit when a game is better than his.

it comes to this.. you prefer mario kart 64 but ctr has improves so much on it's formula ....many people haven't played the game compared to the ever popular mario kart 64. Many of us grew up with a playstation instead of an n64 but it was still impossible to avoid mario kart 64 it was everywhere:) So EVERYONE played that game particularly on a nintendo forum.

then other people have voted given nitro kart as a template..that isn't fair everyone knows those games are complete crap..It's like judging mario games on the mario hotel game.

I used CTR bummers as a joke. It was not meant to be taken seriously. And my opinions were called idiotic and I was apparently bordering on the edge of insanity before I made that post. And not once did I say your opinions were retarded.

And like you i grew up on a playstation. So I played CTR a lot.

Mariokart 64 is way better than any karting game of its generation.

Diddy Kong Racing har really oddly behaving cars, Crash Team Racing just felt like a desperate attempt to turn Crash into the Playstation's mascot. Something that failed because first Spyro came out and quite simply made everyone forget about crash. Then both series jumped ship and attempted to go multiformat, completely removing every excuse for both series to exist...

I don't remember much of what CTR was like to play, but I remember disgusting graphics, and twitchy controls. Plus that just the fact that I've forgotten probbably means the game is bland.

Originally Posted by mcj metroid View Post

some of them ARE fact.

FACT: It has a better and longer one player

All that stuff about CTR having MORE is true. But... err... Better graphics? Are you... no, let me rephrase that... HOW stoned are you? CTR is made of fewer polygons, it lacks perspective correction, it doesent have soft textures and the design isn't that good either. The only thing that's technically better is that MK64 had sprites for characters, while CTR has poly characters. But considering the limitations of the both systems, it's just more visually appealing that way.

Diddy Kong Racing har really oddly behaving cars, Crash Team Racing just felt like a desperate attempt to turn Crash into the Playstation's mascot. Something that failed because first Spyro came out and quite simply made everyone forget about crash. Then both series jumped ship and attempted to go multiformat, completely removing every excuse for both series to exist...

I don't remember much of what CTR was like to play, but I remember disgusting graphics, and twitchy controls. Plus that just the fact that I've forgotten probbably means the game is bland.

All that stuff about CTR having MORE is true. But... err... Better graphics? Are you... no, let me rephrase that... HOW stoned are you? CTR is made of fewer polygons, it lacks perspective correction, it doesent have soft textures and the design isn't that good either. The only thing that's technically better is that MK64 had sprites for characters, while CTR has poly characters. But considering the limitations of the both systems, it's just more visually appealing that way.

Where did you get your facs from? i searched fora while, and nothing came up. Fewer polygons doesnt always mean worse graphics anyway.

Where did you get your facs from? i searched fora while, and nothing came up. Fewer polygons doesnt always mean worse graphics anyway.

I'm an university student studying games development. On graphics studies me and a bunch of classmates made a comparasint between PS1 and the N64. The N64 had soft texture, perspective correction, antialias and mip mapping support, which was used by practically every game on the system. The PS1 had NONE of that! That's why the N64 was far supperior to the PS1, and that's why every attempt to make PS1/Saturn games better looking than N64 games completely ridiculous.

I'm an university student studying games development. On graphics studies me and a bunch of classmates made a comparasint between PS1 and the N64. The N64 had soft texture, perspective correction, antialias and mip mapping support, which was used by practically every game on the system. The PS1 had NONE of that! That's why the N64 was far supperior to the PS1, and that's why every attempt to make PS1/Saturn games better looking than N64 games completely ridiculous.

Im not disputing any of what you said, i don't know enough to argue. Where did you get the information?

CPU: 64-bit R4300i RISC (93.75MHz) / 64-bit data paths, registers with 5-stage pipelining

Co-processor: 64-bit RISC (62.5MHz)

RAM: 4MB (36Mb) upgradeable

Graphics: Pixel Drawing Processor (RDP) built into co-processor

Colors: 16.7 million (32,000 on screen)

Polygons: 150,000 per second

Resolution: 640x480 pixels

Sound: 16 to 24-channel 16-bit stereo (up to 100 PCM channels possible)

CPU: 32-bit RISC (33.9MHz)

RAM: 2MB, 1MB Video RAM

Graphics: 3D Geometry Engine, with 2D rotation, scaling, transparency and fading and 3D texture mapping and shading

Colors: 16.7 million

Sprites: 4,000

Polygons: 360,000 per second

Resolution: 640x480

Sound: 16-bit 24 channel PCM

This is mostly all i can find.

first of all i don't care about your choice of study and if i hear that from one more person i'm going to scream.

Everyone knows the n64 is more powerful than the ps1 no shit like.

But mario kart 64 was a very close to launch game...You're comment is unvelievably fanboyish though..

look at the 2 videos...crash team racing was made very late in the consoles lifepan so the full advantage of the console was made...are you seriously going to say mario kart 64 has better graphics:)

clearly it didn't... the games are about 5 years apart. A ps2 game like god of war 2 trashes every single early xbox game...Same thing here.

Watching the videos posted above CLEARLY crash team racing has far more track detail in graphics..I'm not much on techno mumbo jumbo but I have eyes and I have am using them and clearly crash wins but it's no shame to mk64.

Where to start with THIS one. OK when the hell......did ANYONE give a shit about spyro over crash? That never happened....crash team racing sold extremely so how the hell was it a failure? It was the last success if anything.

I laughed when you said you don't remember much about HOW it plays.....lol thats the most important part you fool!

first of all i don't care about your choice of study and if i hear that from one more person i'm going to scream.

Everyone knows the n64 is more powerful than the ps1 no shit like.

But mario kart 64 was a very close to launch game...You're comment is unvelievably fanboyish though..

look at the 2 videos...crash team racing was made very late in the consoles lifepan so the full advantage of the console was made...are you seriously going to say mario kart 64 has better graphics:)

clearly it didn't... the games are about 5 years apart. A ps2 game like god of war 2 trashes every single early xbox game...Same thing here.

Watching the videos posted above CLEARLY crash team racing has far more track detail in graphics..I'm not much on techno mumbo jumbo but I have eyes and I have am using them and clearly crash wins but it's no shame to mk64.

You can't compare the looks of 2 games based purely on a low-rez youtube video. Look at the games played directly from their respective consoles on a screen you'd imagine using to play a game, and you'l very clearly get the idea. Soft textures means basically that the textures get more blurred the closer you get to them, so you don't see gigantic square textures covering stuff.

Perspective correction means that solid objects look like solid objects, rather than sheats that wave in the wind.

Here's a replay from Gran Turismo 2, where these phenomena are clearly visible.

Then we have the mip mapping, which means that textures of different resolutions are used on the same objects depending on how far away from an object you are. This saves power, enabling the objects closest to you to have a very high level of detail. This also redices aliaseffects.

This is something that I was whining about from day 1 of the PS1 release, and even the most hardcore Playstation nuts at the university can't deny that these things made an incredible difference. Just the fact that all PS1 games had these non-solid objects in the game, and the lack of soft textures litterally gave me a headache back in the day.

My choice of study might not seem relevant to you, but let me take that again: I'm at the UNIVERSITY, being taught to make games. I'm being taught that "technical mumbo jumbo". I and OTHER students got an assignment to check the technical pros/cons of the N64 when compared to its competitors, and how it impacted on the technology in the industry. Our teacher was impressed that we understood these differences, and we all passed, no questions asked. There is no fanboyism in that, just pure and simple facts. I acknowleged that CTR had more of everything, and I didn't say that CTR was a worse game. I said that it's technically damn near impossible for an N64 game to look worse than a PS1 equivelant, because of these very substantial differences.

Where to start with THIS one. OK when the hell......did ANYONE give a shit about spyro over crash? That never happened....crash team racing sold extremely so how the hell was it a failure? It was the last success if anything.

I laughed when you said you don't remember much about HOW it plays.....lol thats the most important part you fool!

Actually, yes. Spyro was received as the best platformer on the PS1 when it came out, and no Crash game was released to outshine it. I never said that CTR sold bad, just that it was kind of pointless.

Of course the most important thing is how it plays. Like I said I do remember awkward controls, although I don't remember the tracks or the powerups.

You can't compare the looks of 2 games based purely on a low-rez youtube video. Look at the games played directly from their respective consoles on a screen you'd imagine using to play a game, and you'l very clearly get the idea. Soft textures means basically that the textures get more blurred the closer you get to them, so you don't see gigantic square textures covering stuff.

Perspective correction means that solid objects look like solid objects, rather than sheats that wave in the wind.

Here's a replay from Gran Turismo 2, where these phenomena are clearly visible.

Then we have the mip mapping, which means that textures of different resolutions are used on the same objects depending on how far away from an object you are. This saves power, enabling the objects closest to you to have a very high level of detail. This also redices aliaseffects.

This is something that I was whining about from day 1 of the PS1 release, and even the most hardcore Playstation nuts at the university can't deny that these things made an incredible difference. Just the fact that all PS1 games had these non-solid objects in the game, and the lack of soft textures litterally gave me a headache back in the day.

My choice of study might not seem relevant to you, but let me take that again: I'm at the UNIVERSITY, being taught to make games. I'm being taught that "technical mumbo jumbo". I and OTHER students got an assignment to check the technical pros/cons of the N64 when compared to its competitors, and how it impacted on the technology in the industry. Our teacher was impressed that we understood these differences, and we all passed, no questions asked. There is no fanboyism in that, just pure and simple facts. I acknowleged that CTR had more of everything, and I didn't say that CTR was a worse game. I said that it's technically damn near impossible for an N64 game to look worse than a PS1 equivelant, because of these very substantial differences.

Actually, yes. Spyro was received as the best platformer on the PS1 when it came out, and no Crash game was released to outshine it. I never said that CTR sold bad, just that it was kind of pointless.

Of course the most important thing is how it plays. Like I said I do remember awkward controls, although I don't remember the tracks or the powerups.

How can you say that a youtube video cant compare graphics, then use a youtube video yourself.

If you compare a youtube video of each game, its the same..

Theyre both equal quality...

Also you haven't proven anything to me yete, the 'facts' you given me may as well be made up.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!