Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2008

MadDog

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant see him getting them back tbh, the only argument they have got is the fact that the stewards said a few times during the race that his actions were ok

Yeah, The only way I can see them getting anything is to argue that race control told them what Lewis did was correct.

Defiant Hamilton awaits appeal verdict

Lewis Hamilton will find out tomorrow if he will regain his Belgian Grand Prix victory, having argued his case in determined fashion in today's FIA Court of Appeal hearing in Paris.

The McLaren driver fell from first to third at Spa when he was handed a 25s penalty because the stewards believed he had not backed off sufficiently after cutting the Bus Stop chicane in a dice for victory with Kimi Raikkonen.

The penalty meant that Hamilton's title rival Felipe Massa inherited the win, his team-mate Raikkonen having crashed out during his spectacular battle with Hamilton.

Hamilton chose to attend today's hearing in person rather than submitting a written statement, and he delivered a combative performance under cross examination from Ferrari's QC Nigel Tozzi.

"I just said what was on my mind and my recollection," Hamilton told BBC Radio Five Live.

"For sure I'm going to be the most emotional about it - I drove my heart out and won it fairly.

"Sometimes in those positions you can be talked down to.

"By no means am I an idiot.

"Considering all the lawyers and very smart people in there, it doesn't mean I'm an idiot, and so I think I had a right to my own opinion."

McLaren barrister Mark Phillips QC had earlier argued that Hamilton had done more than enough to cede the advantage he had gained by cutting the corner, having allowed Raikkonen to move completely ahead before re-passing him under braking for the La Source hairpin.

He also played the court a recording of radio conversation between the McLaren team and FIA race director Charlie Whiting, in which Whiting said that the manner in which Hamilton handed the place back had been 'okay'.

Five judges will debate the appeal tonight prior to delivering their verdict in the morning.

But before discussing McLaren and Ferrari's arguments, they must first consider whether the penalty can actually be appealed under the Formula 1 regulations.

The 25s time addition was awarded in lieu of a drivethrough penalty as the incident occurred just two laps before the end of the race, but the F1 rules do not allow for drivethroughs to be appealed.

This morning's court session was taken up with the teams' respective lawyers debating whether the penalty could actually be appealed, with Phillips insisting that it had to be regarded as a time penalty - which can be appealed - rather than a drivethrough in this instance.

Despite the appeal continuing for the afternoon and debating the actual incident, there remains a possibility that the judges could deem the appeal inadmissable when they make their announcement on Tuesday.

50198_2.jpg

Lewis Hamilton argued his case at the Paris appeal court

I'm still surprised at how arcane and shadowy the inner workings of F1 and the FIA have been revealed to be over the course of these last two seasons. It's like a cross between the Bourne series and Judge Judy.

Anyway, I'm still very much planted in the pro-Hamilton "I know what I saw" camp on this particular issue. I doubt he'll get the points, but questions need to be answered.

Expected, but this is all very worrying for the integrity of the championship. If Massa wins the championship by less then the six point difference exchanged at Spa it's going to be a tarnished trophy.

Oh I can forsee the pitchforks being sharpened now.

What time does the race in Singapore broadcast on ITV?

Singapore Grand Prix on ITV

Live qualifying Saturday 27 September 1410-1630 ITV1 & itv.com/f1

Qualifying re-run Sunday 28 September 0925-1145 ITV4

Live race Sunday 28 September 1200-1500 ITV1 & itv.com/f1

Race highlights Sunday 28 September 2315-0015 ITV1

Highlights re-run Monday 29 September 1800-1900 ITV4

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!