N-Europe

Formula 1 2008

MadDog

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes sense because Kimi would really need two retirements from Hamilton and Massa to be right in amongst it.
Maybe. But last year, four races from the end, Raikkonen was 18 points behind on Hamilton and 15 points behind on Alonso. Nothing's impossible, even though the situation is quite different.

This Ferrari - McLaren battle is pretty amazing these last two years. Bit of a shame Kovalainen can't quite match up this year, but then again, last season was so epic it would be hard one to match.

Hamilton has also said...

- Legends win from the back... something he's been unable to do!

- That no-one ever overtakes him round the outside... which Kimi did a couple of days later at Spa!

- And about Kimi's driving in the wet at Spa...

If you don't have the balls to brake late then that is your problem! At the end of the day, in those situations it is the driver who can feel the grip more and put the car more on the edge. And I know I am great in those conditions.
...yet finding the braking points in the wet was something he failed miserably at in Monza!

He does have a habbit of putting his foot in it! So lets see how things pan out!

Hamilton has also said...

- Legends win from the back... something he's been unable to do!

- That no-one ever overtakes him round the outside... which Kimi did a couple of days later at Spa!

- And about Kimi's driving in the wet at Spa......yet finding the braking points in the wet was something he failed miserably at in Monza!

He does have a habbit of putting his foot in it! So lets see how things pan out!

He is the most annoying F1 driver ever; it's so infuriating hearing him talk about how great he is. He compared himself to Schuey once which is jsut disgusting. Schuey started at Jordan, moved up, became the worlds best and moved to what was the 4th best team, Ferrari and look what he did to them.

Williams are testing a 2009 style rear wing at Jerez this week, which is taller and norrower to fit in with the new '09 aero rule changes:

50114_2.jpg

50107_2.jpg

50105_2.jpg

I knew the '09 rules would through up some very different looking cars, but maybe even more so than I thought! Be interesting to see what the front will look like.

Of course this is an early development of the rear wing, and a lot will change between now and March '09.

Sarcelles bids to host French GP

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=44003

Personally I'm getting fed up of all these new GP circuits.

If they build a new complex in Sarcelles it will no doubt be another Bernie-Tilke track, which could go either way in terms of how it works as a race track. I love Turkey, but other tracks this guy's built are just processional snore fests, in the middle of derelict waste land and just look empty, characterless and boring!

The Disneyland Paris proposal whilst offering interesting scenery, would no doubt be another processional street-style circuit, and I think street circuits should be limited in numbers anyways. Afterall, circuits are the home of motor racing and street circuits should be used sparingly to just offer up the occasional racing spectacle.

A Paris street circuit would also be of little interest to me for the above reasons.

The articles says Magny-Cours are going to put a redevelopment programme into effect, in a bid to maintain the race and I have to say this would be my preferred option.

I used to find Magny-Cours pretty dull, but personally I've found the last two years fantastic!

I really think much more needs to be done to preserve 'circuits' on the calender and especially some of the traditional racer ones, with history.

But I can see Bernie getting his way and filling the calender up with new modern circuits.

However, I'd much rather see the money go into updating and redeveloping/renovating tracks, as these are often the ones with the best layout, best scenery and most exciting racing!

Check out a lap of the ditched Austrain GP for example...

We're not getting circuits like this anymore, that go up and down hills or through forrests etc...

The natural courses are so much more attractive and often offer up plenty of overtaking.

I'd rather they take us to racing venues like this, just modernise them and bring them up to standard!

It's part of the reduction to the aerodynamic use of the car. A smaller wing offers less down force and makes it easier for the following car to catch up because it doesn't mess up the air so much.

That's a good thing, I thought it might be for that. Too little overtaking nowadays.

But a big rear wing really does look more awesome than that.

Yeah Williams have been so poor this season [back there with Honda], that it makes sense they started '09 development as early as possible.

The fact their '08 car hasn't really improved all season, also shows they must be putting all their focus and resources into '09.

Rosberg I think could be great given the right car. He's surely a match for Kovaleinen at least. He won GP2 the year before Hamilton after all, he just needs the car to show his potential!

Nakajima has had a few impressive drives, finishing higher up the field than expected. But like Rosberg, if he hasn't got the car, he can't really show anything, so give him a chance yet!

Also, I think we'll get used to the '09 cars. When we see them with the new rear wing, none of the aero winglets, and maybe a quite different front wing also; the look of the cars will probably be alright! different, but alright!

Not long know untill we know if Hamilton gets his points back.

Ferrari boss hits out at street tracks

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has hit out at the increasing number of street circuits on the Formula 1 calendar, suggesting that next week's inaugural Singapore Grand Prix will be a "let down".

For many years Monaco was the only true street venue used by F1, but this season city centre tracks in Valencia and Singapore have been added to the schedule.

However the Valencia race in August was widely criticised for a lack of overtaking and exciting action, and di Montezemolo predicts that the same will be true when the series arrives at Singapore's new Marina Bay track next weekend.

"I have the impression it will be another one of those let downs where you cannot overtake, like Valencia," Reuters quoted di Montezemolo as saying.

Next year's new Abu Dhabi event is also set to take place on a partially street-based circuit, and the Ferrari supremo believes this is the wrong direction for the sport.

"Going forward with these circuits heralds a bad future for Formula 1," he said.

But Ferrari's title rivals Lewis Hamilton and McLaren-Mercedes are more optimistic about the Singapore race, with Hamilton predicting an exciting contest.

"From what I understand it is wide and fairly flowing in nature, which is not what you usually expect from a street circuit, but it sounds like it will be pretty spectacular," he said.

Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug added that the combination of the Marina Bay track's city centre location and evening start under floodlights will make the Singapore GP a unique race.

"This premiere will certainly be the most exciting in Formula 1 history - in the middle of the night, in the middle of the metropolis," he said.

50184_2.jpg

Ferrari dominated Valencia with Felipe Massa