NEurope
Kirkatronics

Harder, Better?

Which do you like?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like?

All I know and all im saying is that I like Kanye West. I couldnt give 2 shits if I said something stupid.

All I know and all im saying is that I like Kanye West. I couldnt give 2 shits if I said something stupid.

You can't really prefer one unless you have heard both though.

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger is a Daft Punk song mate, look in to them. They're one of the best dance groups around. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger is one of the best dance tracks ever, you could even say one of the best songs ever.

Kanye covered it, not the other way round. I say "covered", i mean "bastardised"

Theres nothing to say you can't prefer the Kanye version, but you're post just screamed ignorance (and basically proved the point Daft made earlier on)

Oops I voted for better artist, i prefer Kanye. Havent heard Daft Punks cover.(?)

Better artist my arse. He's a complete dick (his big toddler tantrums). You can't judge something before trying it, at least give it a listen.

Hmm, the Alive 2007 one was pretty damn good once it kicked in, I've not really heard alot of Daft Punk(like four songs), anyone recommend me their best album?

Kanye West is good at is regurgitating non mainstream cool trends for the idiot masses who are ready to collectively fellate anyone who gives them something "original". (In all honesty, kudos to him for picking up on how much a joke most popular culture is and how lame the people who lap it up are.)

...hold on, I forgot, Kanye is also brilliant at having big f*cking baby tantrums:

Yeah, you're real "cool" Kanye.

No prizes for guessing which one I voted for.

Hmmmm, so how come he has flocks of hit singles that are completely original and still groundbreaking? Sampling songs from the past and using them as an influence to create is pretty much the blueprint to some of the best songs ever created. Every single famous music artist has a side to their character the media can portray as a negative, so I dont get why your putting that link in?

I can appreciate that your a Daft Punk fan, but dont talk shit dude.

The original is better, but Kanye did a good job adding a fresh new direction to it. The fact Daft Punk co-signed his version says it all.

Hmmmm, so how come he has flocks of hit singles that are completely original and still groundbreaking? Every single famous music artist has a side to their character the media can portray as a negative, so I dont get why your putting that link in?

The original is better, but Kanye did a good job adding a fresh new direction to it. The fact Daft Punk co-signed his version says it all.

But that video isn't "the media putting a spin" on anything. Thats just him acting like a baby because he missed out on an award. He's can have anything he wants, he's incredibly rich and yet he can't be a gracious loser. Simple.

I'm not commenting on his music here, I'm commenting on Kayne as a person. But when you know the artist can be such a dick, it's hard to enjoy their music.

Hmmmm, so how come he has flocks of hit singles that are completely original and still groundbreaking? Sampling songs from the past and using them as an influence to create is pretty much the blueprint to some of the best songs ever created. Every single famous music artist has a side to their character the media can portray as a negative, so I dont get why your putting that link in?

I kinda felt the same when I read it, a few people seem to care more about the artist than the song, and whilst I've heard stuff about what an arse Kanye himself can be, I rather like alot of his songs regardless.

But that video isn't "the media putting a spin" on anything. Thats just him acting like a baby because he missed out on an award. Simple.

And? Does that take away from the brilliant and diverse songs he has produced for urban artist after urban artist, over the last decade? Or the awesomeness that is College Dropout?

In this robotly smiling manufactured age of music, it is good to have an artist who stands up for what he believes in and lets his opinion be known.

Sure he might look like an ass in the process, but hes only acting out what 99% of other artists think when they lose an award but are actually afraid to do. And thats real to me.

And? Does that take away from the brilliant and diverse songs he has produced for urban artist after urban artist, over the last decade? Or the awesomeness that is College Dropout?

In this robotly smiling manufactured age of music, it is good to have an artist who stands up for what he believes in and lets his opinion be known.

Sure he might look like an ass in the process, but hes only acting out what 99% of other artists think when they lose an award but are actually afraid to do. And thats real to me.

Thats bollocks. So, if I work hard to win something, but I'm beaten to the prize by someone who is judged as better I should go and ruin their acceptance of that prize by acting like a prat. And then I'll be "real". Jeez.

I quite like one of his songs, something like "the good life", and the video's rather good to so I'm not saying he's a terrible artist because he isn't. I'm talking about Kayne himself.

Thats bollocks. So, if I work hard to win something, but I'm beaten to the prize by someone who is judged as better I should go and ruin their acceptance of that prize by acting like a prat. And then I'll be "real". Jeez.

If you do it with grace, hell yes. It wasnt like Kanye didnt acknowledge the talent of Justice, he just wondered why his video didnt get the award. The fact he publicly takes the piss out of his persona of 'crying like a baby when he loses awards' says it all, you shouldnt take it too seriously.

Alot of what you have said is also 'bollocks' my friend. I mean disliking somebodies music because you dont like the media's portrayal of their image?

Marlon Brando was known as the biggest douche on set ever, he fucked over awards ceremonies (made an Indian woman collect his oscar, to make a misguided political statement on racial equality) and was rude to directors he worked with & even fans. Does this make his performence in The Godfather suddenly "hard to enjoy"?

Get the fook outta here

If you do it with grace, hell yes. It wasnt like Kanye didnt acknowledge the talent of Justice, he just wondered why his video didnt get the award. The fact he publicly takes the piss out of his persona of 'crying like a baby when he loses awards' says it all, you shouldnt take it too seriously.

Alot of what you have said is also 'bollocks' my friend. I mean disliking somebodies music because you dont like the media's portrayal of their image?

Marlon Brando was known as the biggest douche on set ever, he fucked over awards ceremonies (made an Indian woman collect his oscar, to make a misguided political statement on racial equality) and was rude to directors he worked with & even fans. Does this make his performence in The Godfather suddenly "hard to enjoy"?

Get the fook outta here

You're miss qouting me (partly). I didn't say I disliked all his music, I actually said I quite like one of his songs. I said I can find it hard to like some of this music after seeing videos of him acting like that. I still like a few of his songs, and I actually own his latest album. It's not exactly a wonderful role model is it? I mean, I don't care if he takes the piss out of himself for doing it, he just plain shouldn't.

If he's that good an artist, he shouldn't need to act like a jerk for the attention. If he just relied on his music, that would be much more "real to me".

(Also, Yay for a little debate. I'm bored of doing this ethics work and needed something to distract me. Thanks! :D)

Nothing can beat the original, especially not crappy Kanye West.

Only thing that could possibly be better is the remix of the original by Daft Punk themselves (on their Alive 2007 album). Always manages to get me in a great mood and makes me feel like wanting to dance!

live remix version here

Oh my god. That's like having fine spices and the space shuttle massaged into your scalp by an ephemeral techno goddess.

Your miss qouting me. I didn't say I disliked all his music, I actually said I quite like on of his songs. I said I can find it hard to like some of this music after seeing videos of him acting like that. It's not exactly a wonderful role model is it? I mean, I don't care if he takes the piss out of himself for doing it, he just plain shouldn't.

If he's that good an artist, he shouldn't need to act like a jerk for the attention. If he just relied on his music, that would be much more "real to me".

Well I didnt misquote you then did I, because that was precisely my point. Disliking quality music or quality performences, due to your disliking of the creators public actions is LAME.

John Lennon backed taking LSD and bashed a government backed by the masses, taking part in speeches that argueably fuelled violent riots in America in the 70's. I guess hes not a musical role model.

Jimi Hendrix died of a massive drug overdose, hes not a musical role model either!

I get the point you are trying to make, but the way you are wording it is totally misguided. Kanye isnt out to be a public saint that lives by the rules. He is out to make good music and be an entertaining character.

And he succeeds on both fronts.

I prefer the original, cover versions are 99% of time always inferior to the originals. And are the pop industry running out of things to cover that they are pciking stuff from where the 90's now, instead of the usual 60's or 70's songs?

To me the only "good cover" is when you take a song that is originally "bad" and make it better. But usually they pick songs that are already good, just annoys me.

For me some examples of a good cover are Sugarcoma's cover of "You Drive Me Crazy" by Britney Spears and Kamikazee's (Philippine band) cover of "Lucky" again by Britney, because the orginal songs were just plain awful yet the covers are actually damned good

Well I didnt misquote you then did I, because that was precisely my point. Disliking quality music or quality performences, due to your disliking of the creators public actions is LAME.

That's all down to opinion though, cause to me his music doesn't equal quality, nor did his performance (saw him live once, didn't like what I was seeing/hearing).

:smile:

That's all down to opinion though, cause to me his music doesn't equal quality, nor did his performance (saw him live once, didn't like what I was seeing/hearing).

:smile:

Not really, because I am talking in general. The thinking behind not being able to fully like a creation because of something the creator has done in their personal life is sort of lame.

Surely you can understand that?

John Lennon took LSD and bashed a government backed by the masses and took part in speeches that argueably fuelled violent riots in America in the 70's. I guess hes not a role model.

Jimi Hendrix died of a massive drug overdose, hes not a role model either!

I get the point you are trying to make, but the way you are wording it is totally misguided.

Hmm, I see what you mean, but with me, it's probably down to the fact I'm not a big fan of that type of music anyway. So I'm a little biased when it comes down to it. I only bought his album because of Hobz, who said it was awesome so I tried it. *Hums the Good life*

But I'm glad you see what I mean at least, and yes I'm terrible at wording my arguements. But It's late and I've been doing an essay for two hours, so give me a break! :D:p

Thats my way of saying you won the debate *runs of with tale between his legs*

--

Anyway, Daft Punks version is miles better. I don't think Stronger is in the same league.

Anyway, Daft Punks version is miles better. I don't think Stronger is in the same league.

Oh definetly, but Kanye was never trying to compete with the original. His intentions were always to make a fun club track, not to make something with the diversity or unique quirkyness of a Daft Punk creation.

People on this forum forget that and dont judge stuff on its own merit. Not everything is made purely for critical acclaim and to be remembered in musical history, some people at times are just trying to make fun music.

I didn't say it was the only thing he was good at, in fact I didn't really say anything about Kanye's "completely original and still ground breaking" songs. I was merely stating that West was very good at bringing things to the mainstream. If anything it was a dig at pop culture and society. You may find this hard to believe but I actually quite like Kanye West.

I put that link in because he gracefully lost to Justice vs Simian and started mouthing them off. When he lost again to Justice, I think it was the next year, maybe the year after, he completely changed his tune. I never knocked West, I said he is good at what he does.

I find it funny you need to defend some who doesn't need defending against something that I didn't say.

I'm a massive fan of Daft Punk but I'm not insane enough to like everything they do. I don't particularly like their newest album and I sure as hell hate most their remixes.