Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Whats the difference between 1080i and 1080p?

ReZourceman

1080i is 960x1080

1080p is 1920x1080

Basically it means that in 1080i the screen shows you half the picture, with alternating lines (very quickly of course). This is ok for most people, but if you're playing games or watching sports then you might see interlacing and it could get annoying at which point you'd just leave it on 720p. (the whole screen at once)

1080i is basically in some ways 540p upscaled.

It looks like crap for the reasons Sanchez explained and why it also seems "faster" than 720p.

All depends what your using it for. Slow moving stuff, say, something like Planet Earth where its a still camera looking at a mountain or something will look better at 1080i than 720p. Fast moving stuff like games, football etc will look better at 720p then 1080i. 1080p is the best of both worlds and so looks better than both.

1080p is like *the ultimate*.

In saying that, I've never had any sort of problem with 1080i and I do think it's superior to 720p even in games. That's just my opinion, however.

I think it probably changes depending on what sort of TV you have.

I would like to expand on this to make my post seem more than just a statement, but I don't have the knowledge to do so.