NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Darkspine S

Split UK Gamers from Europe petition

It's selfish for the rest of Europe to expect us to wait to play the games when we could be playing them now.

It's selfish for the UK residents to expect other people to play games in English just because they can't wait a couple of months.

Imagine if the main language in the US was Spanish. I bet you would demand a translation to English when it came out in the UK, and wouldn't mind a couple of months in delay.

No, it would just mean that the game is released in the UK before it is released to the rest of Europe. You would still get your translated games just like you do now, we'd just be getting ours earlier. No one expects the rest of Europe to speak English at all.

No, it would just mean that the game is released in the UK before it is released to the rest of Europe. You would still get your translated games just like you do now, we'd just be getting ours earlier. No one expects the rest of Europe to speak English at all.

So what you're asking is to be European, but when shit happens, you want to pretend you're not, and get special privileges.

If that's the case, then every other single European country should get the games before Spain, France, Italy and Germany.

Yep, pretty much. Nothing wrong with it. English is our main language, and if an advantage of having it as our main language means we get games early, then so be it. Other countries not having English as their main language is not our problem. Europe will carry on the same as always, the only country it will affect is the UK.

Other countries not having English as their main language is not our problem.
Oh right, the UK shouldn't have anything to do with problems in the European Union, as they're not their problem. You're not in the EU for fun, you know. You know what is our (and I'm actually referring to Europe here instead of sitting on my private rock) problem? Nintendo's reluctance towards Europe. Translations are just a tiny factor in the delays anyway.

You're expecting changes in import, age rating and whatnot regulations just to satisfy your selfish self. That, and you'd be ruining the games economy in the rest of Europe due to huge demand from the 'mainland'. This idea is really short sighted.

Quit pipe dreamin'

NOE is NEVER going to split the UK from it's region. It would be clearly unfair just because we are an Island and speak the same language as America/Canada doesn't mean we should get treated differently from the rest of Europe.

Personally I'd rather stick with Europe, sure as a whole we get the raw end of the stick but we have victories and I'm drawing your attention to:

Early Release

Wii Chess, Endless Ocean, 42 all time classics, , Bomberman Story, Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Island/New Zealand Story Revolution, Maths Training,

Never Released in USA

Ie Doshin the Gaint, Tingles Rosecoloured Rupeeland, and Kuru Kuru Kurin

If we split from Europe, we wouldnt get the Club Scheme since hes run from Germany Nintendo HQ. Europe works well as a whole, and a lot of thought/planning goes in to when to release games in the European region.

Besides doesn't the wait make the play of a delayed game even sweeter?

You do realise that translations have fuck all to do with release dates? We're talking about video-games not the Bible.

I'd suggest we didn't get our games banned or censored based on the British rating.

Oh right, the UK shouldn't have anything to do with problems in the European Union, as they're not their problem. You're not in the EU for fun, you know. You know what is our (and I'm actually referring to Europe here instead of sitting on my private rock) problem? Nintendo's reluctance towards Europe. Translations are just a tiny factor in the delays anyway.

You're expecting changes in import, age rating and whatnot regulations just to satisfy your selfish self. That, and you'd be ruining the games economy in the rest of Europe due to huge demand from the 'mainland'. This idea is really short sighted.

For fuck sake. They do it all of the time with other products. Not everything in that is shipped to the UK has to be shipped to the rest of Europe as well. They could just give us the US versions, sort out some of the minor details, and it'd be fine.

:'(

Why are you so mean to us?

Do you really think that being only UK will help you with the release dates? It will make UK and the other country's suffer even more :\

I think he means getting the US translated games straight off. It makes sense; I don't get why we wait for translations that we don't even need when for things like DS games, you simply need to ship them out and write "PAL" on them, job done.

Saying that, like all these petitions this will do nothing. ;)

I think we should split n-europe forums also. I am fed up all these portugeuse trolls trying to take over!

For fuck sake. They do it all of the time with other products.
Those products are shipped off to the rest of Europe just as much. Straight importing stuff from the USA is not the same thing as putting the UK in an unfair special position.
Not everything in that is shipped to the UK has to be shipped to the rest of Europe as well. They could just give us the US versions, sort out some of the minor details, and it'd be fine.
That's exactly what they're doing at the moment - the languages are a relatively minor delay in any serious game. I don't care about the other languages either (I wouldn't even bare to play a game in Dutch), but these translations are not the cause of the delay. These delays are because of strategical and legislative reasons, not the language.

These delays are because of strategical and legislative reasons, not the language.

So NoE are totally lying about the situation?

Language, is no doubt, a barrier in getting much of anything released. Especially in Europe where you have multiple dominating languages.

I really don't have an opinion of it because I don't live in Europe, but my advice to you is if you really want to play English games early, import. I know a number of people who live in Europe and whose primary language is English end up just buying an American console and import everything from here.

Hell, I know I'll be stationed in Germany several years from now and that is what I'll be doing too. Keep my American consoles and import. It is a simple solution.

I think he means getting the US translated games straight off. It makes sense; I don't get why we wait for translations that we don't even need when for things like DS games, you simply need to ship them out and write "PAL" on them, job done.

Saying that, like all these petitions this will do nothing. ;)

Oh God that's hilarious. You have no idea what PAL and NTSC is do ya? Do you think it's just some thing they did to annoy us?

Wow.

Then you're getting offended over nothing. This wouldn't affect the rest of Europe, they would recieve their games like they always have done, it just means we won't have to wait for translations which don't apply to us anyway.

Then you're getting offended over nothing. This wouldn't affect the rest of Europe, they would recieve their games like they always have done, it just means we won't have to wait for translations which don't apply to us anyway.

It does affect Europe, because we're being treated unfairly. Would you think it's fair if Belgium suddenly got their games translated to Dutch (I still prefer English though) and got their games released earlier than the UK and the rest of Europe?

So NoE are totally lying about the situation?

NoE knows fuck all, NoJ decides when games come out where.

If other countries in Europe spoke English, then they'd get the games the same time as England too, this is why countries like Wales, Scotland and Ireland would get the games the same time as England, because they speak English. You wouldn't be getting treated any more unfair than what you are being treated now.

I think we should split n-europe forums also. I am fed up all these portugeuse trolls trying to take over!

X_X

Was that an insult or irony? lol, didn't get it..

If other countries in Europe spoke English, then they'd get the games the same time as England too, this is why countries like Wales, Scotland and Ireland would get the games the same time as England, because they speak English. You wouldn't be getting treated any more unfair than what you are being treated now.
Yeah we would, because it isn't the simple one two three you make it out to be - this is economical suicide. Suppose the language is the issue here, and the UK could magically get the games around the same time as the USA (which is impossible). Then, not only would we have you rubbing in the games way before us (basically removing the point of N-E being N-Europe), but mostly, you and us would be screwed over by a huge number of stores importing from the UK, fighting for early free trade PAL releases. This would cause extreme shortages in the UK, which are bad enough as they are, and then have 'them mainlanders' fighting over what was managed to be imported accros the canal. It would cause extreme dissappointment and consumer complaints in the UK, straining the games market, and it would cause confusion and even more market strain due to shortages on the mainland. No party involved is going to be any better off, but mostly you'll be screwing over mainland Europe.

The only way to make it happen is to introduce the idea in the entire EU.

But this isn't even possible. Also, I completely agree with Echo, the very idea is ridicilous.

Oh God that's hilarious. You have no idea what PAL and NTSC is do ya? Do you think it's just some thing they did to annoy us?

Wow.

Of course I do! As an avid importer for many years I've known about the differences for ages. Sorry if my post sounded ignorant. My point is that the DS, unlike most consoles, is region free anyway, and the DS screen does not come under the same past problems TVs had with the 50Hz/60Hz conundrum. So really there could be no difference between the NTSC and PAL UK versions if they wanted to, as we speak the same language.

It would be possible to release at the same time as the US in the UK, then carry on with translations to release another version. That is why the person before probably suggested that we should be split from the rest of people. I'm not saying whether I agree or disagree (import games are cheaper anyway, lol) ;)

DCK do you know for a fact NoJ decide all release dates? I'd be very surprised f they do, its not like someone in Japan presses a big red button and along comes Wii Fit in Europe.

There's a lot more that comes under the localisation banner than just languages. Games need to be classified, tested, a whole host of other things, its a very big job indeed. Release dates are a lot better than they used to be with often parallel development going on in order to reduce the delays as much as possible. The reasons for delays are undoubtedly not to do with these issues though. Different markets operate differently and companies need to release their products to get the best possible return in any given region. The waits are more down to economic factors than technical ones.

The UK splitting off from Europe is never going to happen. Europe and US are run by different companies and why would Euro divisions want to give away their best market to the US? It just wouldn't make any sense.

What I really don't get is if it bothers you that much just import from America yourself. Its easy, often cheaper than buying things here and you get your desired result. Theres really no need to be complaining at all - you have the choice of a global market if you choose to use it.

I know, one of the bigger reasons is probably that it is cheaper to launch in Europe all at once, after enough copies have been produced and advertising campaigns, classification etc are launched at once. I was just clarifying the person's viewpoint before, because technically it would be easy to do, if not financially the best option...

DCK do you know for a fact NoJ decide all release dates?
It couldn't really be any other way. Nintendo is in fact Nintendo of Japan - it's where the company started, it's where all the executives are. NoA and NoE were founded to make localisation and marketing easy to manage more locally. All company strategies about maximizing profit are still in Japan though; as you might've noticed all NoA job titles have something to do with localisation or PR - none are about actually making games or making strategy.

I don't think NoJ can pinpoint exact dates for their subdivisions, as it would give too many local problems. They probably say "stock and strategy say it's best to release the game somewhere between this week and that week", and then NoA/NoE are given freedom to release the game there, whatever they can manage best.

Sign in to follow this