N-Europe

Your N-E Agony Aunt

Jamba

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say you should allll come to Sheffield! Screw the future. Come have a pint!

On a serious note... Nightwolf you talk as if only two people per year get a job from that course :P Perhaps have a gander at some student forums, see the consensus on the particular course from their perspectives. Talking to the module leaders would be good too. I could try and hunt some people down. I have some friends doing various I.T-ish courses who will know the department in charge of your course.

If you're fixed in doing games for a living, then Aimless hits the nail on the flat bit; you'll need to further your further education with a masters. It's what all the cool kids are doing these days, and it's what the top employers (for a lot of jobs) are looking for.

Stefkov; Sheffield Hallam's campus is dead in the town centre, Huddersfield's is slightly farther out, and the halls can be miles away. Come to sheffield too :P

Guest Stefkov

Fuck Masters. What the hell are they. I just want to make 3D models and get into a games company. It's not like I want to get straight into EA or any other big company. As long as I make games I will be a happy man/woman.

Well I don't want to get stuck in a shitty phone games making company...

The campus doesn't really concern me. The one far away in Huddersfield, can't remember the name, was only 15 mintues by bus. The journey was nice.

oh the campus isn't too far away; what's essential to know is how far away they are from wehre you're going to be living :P There's these cool halls out in the countryside in hudders where my mate stayed last year, with a pub and a bunch of shops on site. Pretty good social atmosphere there, just the buses are rare and take ages.

I should try and remember the course my friend is doing as I have a sneaky suspicion it's the same as the one you want to do...

I didn't mean it like that stefkov :P

Hmm I've looked and asked quite a few people about hallam jayseven and I know that they do get jobs, but it doesn't seem as emphasised as it was when I went to manchester, what was the point going for an open day and asking about game design when all they wanted to talk about was how good they are because they have connections with sony? They gave me no more details even when I asked.

I love sheffield I really do and the course seems great, but I just don't see myself making a career out of game design, I had a talk with the parents last night, what happens if I start doing game design and realise that I don't like it? Do I sit there and do it for the next 3 years and then have something that' to me is a waste of time, when going to manchester if I dislike 3d modelling, I can choose another module with pretty much everything thats to do with computing?

Everything seems to be pointing at manchester, but I've yet to get a reply from sheffield anyway

i'm generally frustrated.

dont really need any advice~ just wanna moan about it....

blah blah blah blah blah! i'm tired! got hardly any fucking sleep last night now i have to work till 10pm with my stupid smarmy bastard boss... i feel REALLY let down by one of my best friends. i think i might have gone invisible and BLAH! >_____< i'm sad and angry and tired and lonely and bored and SICK of having to adjust to friends moods all the fucking time. why's it always me who has to try and be nice and compromise...? and when they finally DO have time for me - it's always on their terms... if i dont feel like going out i'll have to make myself feel like it or i'll just NEVER get any time with my friend - but it's no fun that way.

:cry:

</rant>

:(

Guest Stefkov
well gee, FINE, I guess I won't be stalking either of you now that you're not coming to hallam any more :'(

Who said I'm not? I'm gonna do more reasearch tonight and then apply through UCAS later. If I do get offered a place depending on one or two things I might be going. I'm not a drinker though so don't get your hopes up.

The design course is mixed with photography/animation etc. I applied for games software development and design.

Software will probably be better for you, as game design is classed as multimedia and pushing towards the art side.

But I am an arty person, not good at it, but I'm an arty person none the less.

Then I'd suggest the game design, when I asked about software development I was told I'd more likely to be suited to design.

Rant

My ds I've been trying to get wifi on, I love my ds and would really like to play against others and whatnot, even though I have wireless broadband with sky we couldn't change the keys and such.

So I'm thinking about buying a dongle, but the reviews on every website are half and half, some say about firewalls. Now I have avast running, spybot too and was wondering if they'd be a pain in the arse for setting up a dongle, but nowhere mentions it. So do I risk paying 30quid only that I might have to return it or not..

sigh

/rant

Guest Stefkov

I've Spybot, AVG and Vista and my Dongle worked perfectly fine last night.

Setting it up is sticking a disc in, plugging in the dongle when it says and that's it.

Considering I live with my parents who aren't computer enabled jordan thats abit of a problem. I need to know if it'll be good or bad, hopefully it won't be too bad, but I'm concerned, even though if it doesn't work I can ship it straight back.

Not to mention I've just looked at the rating nintendo gives for netgear routers and it's neigh impossible to do it according to them, so the dongle seems the way forward but its such more money! espcially if it goes tits up...grumble.

I've Spybot, AVG and Vista and my Dongle worked perfectly fine last night.

Setting it up is sticking a disc in, plugging in the dongle when it says and that's it.

Not necessarily, while many people install it effortlessly, for some reason unknown to me for many systems it simply refuses to work. Eventually I found some link to hack the Dongle browsers and make it think its a Buffalo router, which works fine now. Just be aware that installing the dongle right out the packet is a 50/50 thing.

Considering I live with my parents who aren't computer enabled jordan thats abit of a problem. I need to know if it'll be good or bad, hopefully it won't be too bad, but I'm concerned, even though if it doesn't work I can ship it straight back.

Not to mention I've just looked at the rating nintendo gives for netgear routers and it's neigh impossible to do it according to them, so the dongle seems the way forward but its such more money! espcially if it goes tits up...grumble.

Also, make sure you have a compatible O.S.

As long as you can get the dongle installed it should work ok and if there are problems I'm fairly sure there are plenty of patches and whatnot online that will help you get it configured...

And if not, like you say, just return it!

I have windows xp which apprently is the o.s that is best. Its just because the nintendo ds doesn't support a wpa key and when I went about changing the key I realised I had to change all the keys to each laptop that connects to our sky wireless, which is now about 6 laptops. Not ideal.

Aye, I reckon with XP it will be grand. I'm not sure how that antivirus/ firewall stuff you have installed will effect it but you should be able to get your DS online ok.

Make sure you have some good DS games to play via wifi or all these shenanigans will be for nothing.

Not for me.

Lemme find the link for hacking the browsers. It's step by step and pretty easy.

Edit: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36057

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!