NEurope
dannbrownn

I can't believe they let the Wii slip so far so fast

Things have just been a bit silent, just wait a bit until some big news hit us again and we're all excited again.

I think the Wii has a lacklustre games, but as some of you well know my opinion on that is completely invalid and void of any merit because I have not played SMG:indeed: I think the thing that I don't like most about the Wii is the controller. Wii Sports was awesome and still is, Wii Play and Wario Ware are also brilliant on the Wii, but I think by and large all that controller (a very expensive, battery munching controller) has served to do is replace random button mashing with random stick waggling. It just never seems to add anything and in some cases, takes away from it. Having said all this I may well buy the Wii again for Smash Bros in the future, but I have still been vastly dissapointed by it. I now no longer have it and am the proud owner of a 360 (even if it is the Arcade version :heh:)

I agree with Mikey. This generation, the Wii is a second console. I couldn't have just a Wii - I'd need either a 360, PS3, or Gaming PC aswell.

And that is THE problem. The Wii should be able to stand on its own. It should make people think it's the only console worth buying, so that they'll only buy the Wii, making both the PS3 and 360 flops of about the same magnitude as the Dreamcast.

Nintendo should try to beat Sony, Microsoft and the PC in ALL genres.

They should get exclusive, exciting first person shooters, since the Wiimote is a godsent for shooternuts like myself.

They should make RTS-games, because they are the only ones who have the potential to make an acceptable controlsceme for home consoles.

They should develop racers to compete with Gran Turismo, since both Sega and Microsoft have/had them, and because it's a popular genre.

They should make an MMORPG set in Hyrule, because it would completely OWN WoW.

They should make Pilotwings, Excitebike, Pikmin, F-zero, Waverace, 1080 and Starfox because those are all games that define Nintendo.

They should make their own, exclusive freeroaming shooter in GTA-style, because it's a great genre, that with Nintendo geniuity could be not-so controversial, yet mindblowingly fun!

I'm not saying I'm expecting all that within the first 18 months of release, but COME ON. Give us SOMETHING. An announcment, a weird cryptic message in one of their games or a difuse postcard sent to gaming mags.

I don't see what's the problem now, I don't see why the Wii should provide in everything. Your wishes are so generic; you want the Wii to be a PC, while it isn't.

The Wii sets itself apart from the other consoles (although not particularly in the way intended), and it should. Your wishes would make it converge to being closer to the 360 and PS3, while that's exactly not the Wii's point. And because it's not the Wii's point, it only makes sense that it is a second console for many people, next to a PS360. The only thing I want to happen is that more people start considering their Wii their first console instead of their second.

And that is THE problem. The Wii should be able to stand on its own. It should make people think it's the only console worth buying, so that they'll only buy the Wii, making both the PS3 and 360 flops of about the same magnitude as the Dreamcast.

Nintendo should try to beat Sony, Microsoft and the PC in ALL genres.

They should get exclusive, exciting first person shooters, since the Wiimote is a godsent for shooternuts like myself.

They should make RTS-games, because they are the only ones who have the potential to make an acceptable controlsceme for home consoles.

They should develop racers to compete with Gran Turismo, since both Sega and Microsoft have/had them, and because it's a popular genre.

They should make an MMORPG set in Hyrule, because it would completely OWN WoW.

They should make Pilotwings, Excitebike, Pikmin, F-zero, Waverace, 1080 and Starfox because those are all games that define Nintendo.

They should make their own, exclusive freeroaming shooter in GTA-style, because it's a great genre, that with Nintendo geniuity could be not-so controversial, yet mindblowingly fun!

I'm not saying I'm expecting all that within the first 18 months of release, but COME ON. Give us SOMETHING. An announcment, a weird cryptic message in one of their games or a difuse postcard sent to gaming mags.

Nintendo tried that, and failed. Remember the N64? Remember the GameCube? great consoles sure, but they were completely obliterated by the PS2 and PS1. How many more times could Nintendo handle getting their arse kicked?

I think Nintendo have done a great job at finding their place int he market, in my opinion they'd be foolish to try and change it. Yeah it may not benefit me personally so much, but as long as I own another console with my Wii I've no need to worry.

There is a Wii game for every month which interests me, plus the incredible PS3 line up. No doubt the WIi has plenty more up it's sleeve though.

I don't see what's the problem now, I don't see why the Wii should provide in everything. Your wishes are so generic; you want the Wii to be a PC, while it isn't.

The Wii sets itself apart from the other consoles (although not particularly in the way intended), and it should. Your wishes would make it converge to being closer to the 360 and PS3, while that's exactly not the Wii's point.

The Wii is a console, therefor it's competing with the other consoles. I'm not asking for it to screw around with stupidly high resolutions and so mych detail that the characters have been modelled to such a level of detail that there's actually a model of a naked person under the clothes like the others.

No, I want it to be the next generation of Nintendo consoles. Since the Wii is doing so well, it should be able to do it's unique thing, AND what the others do gameplaywise. The N64 was the king of first person shooters back in the day. It's a fact thet both first person shooters and real time strategygames can be done better on the Wii than any other system, because of the controls.

A good racer and a GTA-beater has been asked for since the late N64/early Gamecube days.

And asking for new parts in beloved Nintendo franchises is sort of a given.

I'm not asking Nintendo to change their place on the market. I'm just thinking they should WIDEN it. They have plenty for the casual gamer, now give the old Nintendo veterans get what they want, and do what you can to snag customers from the competitors.

I mean, back in the days when the N64 was clearly a flop, they still invested in starting NTSC, which made Ridgeracer 64, Waverace Blue Storm, Metroid Prime Hunters and so on. That's a studio that allways have been doing what the gamers wanted. The N64 lacked racers, so we got RR64, which actually was the best racer on the system. Gamers lacked FPS games on the DS, so they made the fantastic Hunters. Why can't they now, when the Wii is the s**t, and Nintendo are retaking their throne in the games buisnes start a few new studios to cross dots of the "what our fans want" list.

The N64 as a matter of fact didn't do too many of those points. RR64 was the closest thing to Gran Turismo we ever got, and come on, it was a game containing two levels from PS1-games and one new, and 30 quite poorly modelled fictional cars.

When Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were released, the boost in sales were imminent. Nintendo never did try to make a GTA-beater. Instead they made sure that True Crime was the only game in the genre for the Gamecube.

This is fascinating to see, there amount of varied opinions on this subject, i quite like the ones that make out i am anti-nintendo, after all i have said and done up until this point!

I am disappointed with the way the wii has turned out, I BELIEVE NINTENDO TO BE THE BEST GAMES DEVELOPERS IN THE WORLD and that is why it is such a disappointment to see them having so few releases over the first year and such a lack of new titles from either themselves or third parties in the near future.

I am not attacking Nintendo because i hate them, i am just feeling let down after all the excitement they generated with all the talk of 'New Ways to Play'

I love Nintendo and i have done people heads in where i work and at home with how much i talk about what they are doing and what is coming out next, i find that there seems to be less and less to get excited about.

This thread has done nothing but remind me that they really need to release NMH, BWII, and SSBB here ASAP...

Mmm, initials...

I haven't read all the comments so whatever I say here won't be in reference to anything said so far..

I am happy with the Wii. I know there's more to come with new games and returning franchises but currently there is already a decent selection of games available. What has been important to me is that there is now a different way to play games which brings something fresh to the table.

With the Wii and DS, I have been able to play some really cool games with new control styles, totally different to anything that has come before. If I feel the need to play something 'hardcore' or 'traditional', the VC is available for downloading great old games whilst I can easily connect my SNES, N64 or GC to the TV and play a long list of games I never got to play all those years ago. A day could consist of playing Banjo-Tooie, mixed up with a bit of Elite Beat Agents and then firing off some shots with Samus on Metroid Prime 3. I'm certainly not bored :heh: ..so, personally, I don't NEED a PS3 or XBOX360 as I am happy.. and even though I hate to use the 'terminology', I certainly wouldn't consider myself a 'Casual Gamer'..

The Wii is a console, therefor it's competing with the other consoles. I'm not asking for it to screw around with stupidly high resolutions and so mych detail that the characters have been modelled to such a level of detail that there's actually a model of a naked person under the clothes like the others.
That's a bit of an oversimplification. Because it's a console it doesn't have to provide every bit of gaming entertainment out there. It mustn't snag away gamers from other consoles when it can't. Their expansion to the seniors and whatnot is 'bad enough'.
A good racer and a GTA-beater has been asked for since the late N64/early Gamecube days.

And asking for new parts in beloved Nintendo franchises is sort of a given.

That's only the part of the Nintendo fans that want it because it's on other consoles.
I'm not asking Nintendo to change their place on the market. I'm just thinking they should WIDEN it.
Don't you think they should take this widening thing one step at a time o_O
They have plenty for the casual gamer, now give the old Nintendo veterans get what they want, and do what you can to snag customers from the competitors.
I can be considered a veteran by now, and I don't want those things. If I would, I would buy another console.
I mean, back in the days when the N64 was clearly a flop, they still invested in starting NTSC, which made Ridgeracer 64, Waverace Blue Storm, Metroid Prime Hunters and so on. That's a studio that allways have been doing what the gamers wanted. The N64 lacked racers, so we got RR64, which actually was the best racer on the system. Gamers lacked FPS games on the DS, so they made the fantastic Hunters. Why can't they now, when the Wii is the s**t, and Nintendo are retaking their throne in the games buisnes start a few new studios to cross dots of the "what our fans want" list.
NST is far from a brilliant studio as far as I'm concerned, and my bet is on them developing 1080 Wii. Also, those aren't really great examples you're mentioning. RR64 wasn't a realistic racer, MP:H was no FPS compensation as it was the first game announced, and Wave Race isn't really that much of a killer app for the veterans either.
Nintendo never did try to make a GTA-beater. Instead they made sure that True Crime was the only game in the genre for the Gamecube.
"They made sure" what? Nintendo has repeatedly requested Rockstar to bring GTA to the Wii or GameCube. Nintendo knows they don't have the skill or insight for such a game, and yet you don't realise it. These Western games you mention are outside of Nintendo's scope, and that's exactly why the 360 and PS3 should coexist with the Wii.

You need to remember that the Wii (especially in Japan) is basically being bought by casual gamers who don't have much intention on buying any other games other than the wii sports and the Mario Party (hence why the attach rate there is 3.6 or something). Now, when developers set out to make a game on Wii, they're thinking 'well Nintendo franchises sell the best. If we don't want our games to flop we should just aim at the core Wii audience', which is why we haven't seen companies like Ubisoft really step up their approach on Wii; sure we're getting games but how many of them are truly great games?

It's different on Ps3 and 360 (esp. the latter) because they know if they pour money into making a game they will definately get sales back.

Ok...Few instant thoughts here:

I can sort of see where some people are coming from within this thread....

If honest I still now think people are being harsh with what the Wii can and will offer and will state what I have said from the outset....The concept of the Wii is still new and hasnt had chance to prove itself.

Simply put it is much more than the sum of its parts..

I am guilty of letting the little blighter gather dust at the moment due to a stockpile of 360 games and the obsessive need to collect achievemnts, but the Wii is still there being the only console pushing the envelope in any new exciting direction...I maybe do get the occasional feeling that it wont be the Wii that makes the true gaming revolution that we all expected/hoped for, but Nintendo have the right idea and enough ppl have bought in for them to continue pushing the revolution into the future.

15 months may seem a long time to some people for Nintendo to have pushed this idea out fully and got devs into programming the Wiimote, but go back to early systems such as the NES and it took longer than that for developers to master programming the D-pad.

It will get there eventually, but we can hardly blame Nintendo for 3rd parties lack of vision or lack of knowledge of how to program the Wiimote or lack of confidence in investing in the product until they work out how.

It is obvious that Nintendo are doing a sterling job here and it can only be the above that is causing the problem.

One thing is for certain....N are still a player and they have shook up the market which is never a bad thing...

Everybody who invested in the console can pat themselves on the back as being part of that shake-up and possibly making the games that are detracting their attention from the Wii for now that little bit better.

It's different on Ps3 and 360 (esp. the latter) because they know if they pour money into making a game they will definately get sales back.

Hahaha, best quote of the thread.

I think the problem is companies don't know how to sell games on the Wii. It's not enough just to make a great game, they need to market it appropriately and make it stand out at retail. The resident Evils / Sonic stand out to me on this, because they're recogniseable franchises people buy them. Developers can easily sell proper games to the Wii audience, it's just they need to learn it's more then just making a good game.

I've no doubt the Wii will end up with a good library, but these things take time.

As for someone saying Nintendo should set up more studio's or something. If it was that easy, then I'm pretty sure everyone in the industry would be doing it. Just look at Microsoft, they've poured billions into getting the Xbox established, if they could just set up their own studio's instead of paying people like Rockstar $50 million for downloadable content, they would.

Let me put a spin on this...

Iwata once said he feels like a chef trying to feed gamers. And the gamers are never full. They just want more all of the time. As one delicious course is finished they want the next one and so-on...

I guess we want our courses to taste good all of the time. But there are other "tastes" out there, tastes that haven't got the developed pallet that many long term diners have. At times there are no good meals on the table. At times you have to sit and look at the crap, or just go back to the meals you've already devoured, taste them all over again. (Like the infamous Mario64 dish).

Yet whilst the developed diner waits, there are many (look @ sales) people enjoying the 'casual' dish. Don't chastise their tastes. Maybe you yourself should give in and drop in on a "new" taste?

If we are sat waiting for our next meal for too long we get irate. If we are looking at the meals served up on another console we can even miss the meals or think those other meals look far tastier! (The Dreamcast Dish was a tasty morsel missed by many, as the alluring PS2 roared out of the Sony oven).

You're just hungry. I get it. You're irate. You feel the ingredients haven't been good enough. Yet give the chefs time. The tools for cooking just got newer. The market is changing, there are NEW! diners. NEW! restaurants all over town.

Just sit back, enjoy what has been served as I'm sure the main courses usually come in the second year. We've only had the starters! Think how good the desserts will be :)

Did any of that make ANY sense? Or do too many chefs spoil the soup!?

What games have you actually played then?

PS (yeah its at the start) Don't read it if you want to read incoherant ramblings by me.

Bit late but.

Zelda - finished. Excite Truck. Monkey Ball. That shit racing one with the steering wheel. Mario Galaxy I still have. Wario Ware. Eledees. Mario Strikers. Red Steel.

I don't remember the games I got at launch. They were pretty bad ones GAME were getting rid of becaues they knew they wouldnt sell.

I've had my fare share of games and I've liked them. Red Steel was alright, a great first game for my Wii. I grew tired of it quickly. The controls were unresponsive at times and got truly annoying.

Wario Ware I completed in a day. Took that back as soon as I got it feels.

Eledees I liked I just couln't sit down with it. Mario Strikers I was in the tournament. I think I won the losers cup thing. I liked it but it got boring fast.

Monkey Ball was fun ish. Didnt want it though. Zelda I was never going to play again. I loved that game so much. I would never start a new file though.

Excite Truck was really fun. I enjoyed it. Finishing all of the levels and then playing them all again it seemed over and over again in the same difficulty, it lost its charm.

It's mostly not the graphics of the Wii. I can sit down and play through Ocarina of time if I wanted to and had the time. I can sit down and play the rest of Mario Galaxy.

It's the length of the games and the ability it has to keep me entertained. Most of the Wii games have that initial pull on me. I have a week with it and it's a fucking awesome game. I can play it none stop, like I did with Mario Galaxy. First week or two it's all I played. Now the Wii doesn't get turned on.

To be honest I've lost interest in games at this moment in time aswell. I just bought a PS3 to spend some money. I hadn't in a while and I thought it'd be a good investment with Blu Ray. The games are an added bonus.

I've had the PS3 a week now and I've not even gotten past 10 levels on Resistance. If I were bothered it'd be done and I'd be trading it in this weekend for another game.

I am so going off topic. I think this generation of games have actually made me less and less interested in games. I truly wanted to be in the games industry. I wanted to make the character models and the scenerty. Make lush backgrounds and just make the stuff you see.

Just looking at the Wii's list of games I think, if that's the quality of games I will probably get into, where they use SNES graphics and try to pass it off as a next generation game, I nearly gave up.

Shame I'd alreayd picked my Uni course when I started to think this through a lot.

Now I just want to learn Japanese alone. Maybe get back into Electronics.

Ah well.

That's a bit of an oversimplification. Because it's a console it doesn't have to provide every bit of gaming entertainment out there. It mustn't snag away gamers from other consoles when it can't. Their expansion to the seniors and whatnot is 'bad enough'.That's only the part of the Nintendo fans that want it because it's on other consoles.

But it has potential to give gamers both what the others can't, AND what the others can, apart from the previously mentioned ludicrous graphics.

Don't you think they should take this widening thing one step at a time o_O

The thing is that Nintendo allready had for example the FPS market in their hand, and they've completely let it pour out between their fingers. I don't expect Nintendo to release all the games I listed tomorrow. I however am dissapointed that there haven't been announcements on ANY of the games I've listed, even in the form of a confirmation that something like that's being done. I expect Nintendo to have what they had previous generations AND the casual-friendly games. Why does everything have to be a choice between one or the other?

I can be considered a veteran by now, and I don't want those things. If I would, I would buy another console.

Personally I see buying different consoles as buying both a Blueray and a HD-DVD. Allthough the specific games differ between the formats, and the percentage of good games in each genre differ, there should at least be a few decent games in every genre on all platforms.

I bought the Wii to be my next-gen console, and now I'm considering to buy a 360. But I'll consider it for a long time, since I'm a student, and I have a very small monthly budget to move arround with.

I personally want a propper Starfox game really badly. And that pilotwings sequel that was rumoured four years ago, and that actually existed on a release scedule ten years ago.

NST is far from a brilliant studio as far as I'm concerned, and my bet is on them developing 1080 Wii. Also, those aren't really great examples you're mentioning. RR64 wasn't a realistic racer, MP:H was no FPS compensation as it was the first game announced, and Wave Race isn't really that much of a killer app for the veterans either.

Of course, it's not a great studio. However, incompetent as they are, they STILL made the best N64 racer. They STILL made the best FPS for the DS. I put it up as an example, not as a tribute to the studio. I know waverace BS and 1080 avalanche weren't the games everyone wanted them to be. But still: they gave many gamers what they wanted. Ridgeracer was in no way realistic, but it had a more serious feel to it than F-zero and Mariokart, and it was the best realistic-ish racer on the format.

"They made sure" what? Nintendo has repeatedly requested Rockstar to bring GTA to the Wii or GameCube. Nintendo knows they don't have the skill or insight for such a game, and yet you don't realise it. These Western games you mention are outside of Nintendo's scope, and that's exactly why the 360 and PS3 should coexist with the Wii.

Actually, during the Gamecube days they didn't move a finger to get games from rockstar. The active attempts to get GTA to the Cube have only taken place after the Wii release. In the Cube day, they actually dissed the concept of GTA in interviews.

As for someone saying Nintendo should set up more studio's or something. If it was that easy, then I'm pretty sure everyone in the industry would be doing it. Just look at Microsoft, they've poured billions into getting the Xbox established, if they could just set up their own studio's instead of paying people like Rockstar $50 million for downloadable content, they would.

The reason MS aren't setting up own studios is because they have no own franchises. They have Midtown Madness, Forza, Crimson Skies and Monstertruck Madness. That's IT. They don't know how to come up with a good franchise, so they just pick near finished games (Halo) they see potentially sellable and then they just hype the crap out of it. Sony only ever had Gran Turismo during the PSOne generation. They quickly realised that they actually could make interresting franchises on their own, so before long they had created lots of teams. From the PS2-release untill now, they've got lots of teams and franchises, and before long, Micrososft will be doing the same.

As previously stated, they only ever used to have the GT team. Now they have the SOCOM team, the Syphon Filter team, the God of War team, the Getaway team, the GT team and Sony Online Entertainment, plus probably a bunch I don't know of.

Nintendo can't lean back on the teams they have now, they have to make new ones, and fast. It's not hard to get competent gamedevs, I mean, the university I study at accept about 120 students to their gameprogram, allthough, of course, about half drop off or flunk.

The reason MS aren't setting up own studios is because they have no own franchises. They have Midtown Madness, Forza, Crimson Skies and Monstertruck Madness. That's IT. They don't know how to come up with a good franchise, so they just pick near finished games (Halo) they see potentially sellable and then they just hype the crap out of it.

Don't be so rediculous, part of setting up a studio is finding the right people to who have the creative flair to come up with a new franchise. Microsoft would do exactly what you said, but it's not financially viable and doesn't guarentee results.

Sony only ever had Gran Turismo during the PSOne generation. They quickly realised that they actually could make interresting franchises on their own, so before long they had created lots of teams. From the PS2-release untill now, they've got lots of teams and franchises, and before long, Micrososft will be doing the same.

Sony didn't set up their own teams, they found companies who were developing the best games and bought a stake in them. It was pretty easy for them back then though, there only competition was a floundering Nintendo and a doomed SEGA.

As previously stated, they only ever used to have the GT team. Now they have the SOCOM team, the Syphon Filter team, the God of War team, the Getaway team, the GT team and Sony Online Entertainment, plus probably a bunch I don't know of.

Did Sony set up any of them companies themselves though, which is what you're saying companies should do. Back in the 90s there was a huge amount of studio's avlaliable as the PlayStation made such a huge industry growth. Nowadays everyone is accounted for, and any new studios will be aiming at industry growth from the casual sector.

Nintendo can't lean back on the teams they have now, they have to make new ones, and fast. It's not hard to get competent gamedevs, I mean, the university I study at accept about 120 students to their gameprogram, allthough, of course, about half drop off or flunk.

Yeah, I'm sure there is no competition from EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Rockstar, Take-2, Sony, Microsoft and the like for these people. Whatsmore Nintendo only develope games in Japan (except NsT... which hasn't made anything great anyway), so it's a moot point. Could they set up a new dev studio in Japan? Maybe, but if it was anywhere near as simple or linear as you're making out I'm sure they already would have, after all it'd make them more money right?

This generation of console is extremely different. All three systems are offering something different.

This isn't particularly the best solution to your "problems", but you should seriously think about getting a second console. This is what i do: My Wii is for Nintendo games or Wii exclusives, my XBOX360 is used for all 3rd party multiplatform games and exclusives and my PS3 has the same use as my Wii.

You have to have variety in your life. If i had just the Wii i'd go nuts, i mean i'd be missing out on so, so many fucking astounding games. Even yesterday i played the new Burnout game for hours! I honestly believe the Wii shouldn't be your only console this generation.

This generation of console is extremely different. All three systems are offering something different.

This isn't particularly the best solution to your "problems", but you should seriously think about getting a second console. This is what i do: My Wii is for Nintendo games or Wii exclusives, my XBOX360 is used for all 3rd party multiplatform games and exclusives and my PS3 has the same use as my Wii.

You have to have variety in your life. If i had just the Wii i'd go nuts, i mean i'd be missing out on so, so many fucking astounding games. Even yesterday i played the new Burnout game for hours! I honestly believe the Wii shouldn't be your only console this generation.

This is the problem, the PS3 launched at the same time as the wii pretty much in Japan and america and 4 months later in europe. Yet the games on offer for it could easily be enough to see somebody use it as their only console.

When peter more started talking about the Wii60 idea a few weeks later reggie responded by saying something like 'I would rather see consumers just buy our console and a ton of games than any of our competitors products'

Obviously though now it doesn't matter to them look at there latest earnings and you can see why we don't matter anymore. We won't drive sales so what are we meant to do... oh yeah as you say buy another console!

What is going on when nintendo can't even satisfy its own fans on a market leading system?

Ouch!

I'm obviously old and naive.

Hey old guy! You. Me. Xbox Live. Right now.

Lol, on a more serious note, this is generally a good discussion to read through- some good level headed opinions. The thing is though, you don't need and Xbox 360 or a PS3 to accompany your Wii. I only have a Wii and I'm not even up to date with the games I have for it and then there are a few others I'd like to pick up too.

It must just depend on how demonically fast you get through your games. Heck, I have GC games still to play, and then theres games I'd like to replay... and then theres Virtual Console games... and lets not forget all the games that are coming out on Wii. Theres alot to get through there before I would have to think I need a PS3 or Xbox 360. The mind boggles.

Didn't the DS go through a phase like this where the games weren't exploiting it's potential and it was seen as being just a novelty? Look at it now. It's overflling with quality original titles that I know I have missed many a gem and would not be able to play them all.

I expect and expected the Wii to go through the same thing. Soon games like SSBB and Mario Kart will arrive, games that you will be playing for years to come. That is a nintendo speciality, i mean im still playing SSBM now. If double dash was better, it would be the same for that but alas it's not so. I don't think you get that sort of long lasting pleasure on the other consoles. Nothing kept my attention like SSB on the PS2 and xbox.

The wait is exhausting, but it's a nintendo trademark that has generally been worn down a bit. Even though we are still third best, efforts are being made to address this. Nintendo has come far and with this new console, I feel that patience will be key to enjoying it.

Sadly that said, there is quite a bit of quality available on the other consoles that a gamer should not miss out on. I only have a Wii, but I can't miss out on stuff like Street Fighter 4, MGS4 and DMC4 now can I. This gen you really need more than 1 console to experience some great gaming moments but a Wii should be included in all those combonations as the best moments can come from only this console imo, such as getting your ship to move for the first time in MP3. Was almost like really being there. No other console can give you that feeling.

If you don't own more than 1, you may be missing out, but as long as you are satisfied what does it matter anyways and you will be saving a heck of a lot of money =3

I agree with this to an extent but if ive learned anything from the last and current generation of videogames its that having 3 platform options sucks ass for pretty much everyone except the hardware makers and people who dont mind the pricetag and the clutter.

How terrific would it be if there was a standard video game player, where you buy 1 console and have access to EVERY amazing game that gets developed. Where 3rd parties can sink resources into making what they want, without having to cater to 3 distinct user bases. Where everybody gets the best version of a game because theres only 1 version of it.

I´m afraid that if there was to ever be such a system introduced to market, it would quickly be abandoned after a huge fight. The fight would erupt over the fact that if all games came out on one console only, the attention each unique game would get would be drastically limited since suddenly there would be not 500 games for the console we would all be owning, but 1500 or even more. 5 years after it´s release it would probably amount to more than 2000 games.

Any game developer who was used to getting so much attention from us all on one of three platforms, now would get many times less the attention for their particular games since there would be such a huge number of other games to select from that gamers would overlook their games more than before. This means money left on the table, and developers would instead be left to fight for gamers attention spending more on advertising time than game developement time. This would mean a general hollowing out of the quality of games, and wind up hurting the entire gaming market. And I thought I was complaining about gaming quality these days. I shiver at the thought of my complaints then!

Consequently, such a universal console would hardly ever be the future for the video game market!

I own a Wii, thats the only console I own this generation. I'm content with the games that Nintendo have produced. For people that say you need to own a 360 to be a hardcore gamer, thats the most untrue thing I have heard in a long time. Hardcore gamers are people who play games as their main pastime, take them slightly more seriously than other people and generally play more hardcore games than casual games. During the rough months I've been buying VC games and game-cube games that I missed. The console has been out for a little over a year and has seen more top games than some consoles have ever seen.

Just because more of the xbox games are marketed towards a mature audience doesn't make them good games, most of them are crap. compared to games like Metroid or Mario Galaxy.

I think Nintendo could almost release a second console this generation. It could play all Wii games and use the Wii remote but it could be more powerful and be marketed more towards the hardcore gamer by only licensing games on it that are intended for hardcore gamers.