Dogs

Kirkatronics

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jordan

I shall post pics of my two dogs later.

I have a 1 year old Border Collie Lab cross called Lillie and a 2 year old Border Collie Lurcher cross called Sophie.

Woohoo, dogs! =D

Here's my dear doggie, Fabel, a Bernese Mountain dog. =3

IMG_0323.jpg

After falling into the swimming pool, pretending nothing happened by grabbing a huge piece of wood. =P

IMG_0181.jpg

Watching me take a picture of her from atop the trampoline.

And here's an old picture of our previous dog, Pacha. She was so sweet and I loved her dearly. She also had one blue and one brown eye, which was cool. She got to the age of 13, which is pretty old for these kind of dogs (normally they don't get much older than 10) and she was the last one from her litter to be alive. We had to put her down though cause she couldn't walk anymore due to old age. =(

I think she might've been a cross between a Bernese mountain dog and a Greater Swiss Mountain dog (cause of the short hair and stuff).

Sister_and_dog.jpg

(that's not me in the picture by the way)

Woohoo, dogs! =D

Here's my dear doggie, Fabel, a Bernese Mountain dog. =3

IMG_0323.jpg

After falling into the swimming pool, pretending nothing happened by grabbing a huge piece of wood. =P

IMG_0181.jpg

Watching me take a picture of her from atop the trampoline.

And here's an old picture of our previous dog, Pacha. She was so sweet and I loved her dearly. She also had one blue and one brown eye, which was cool. She got to the age of 13, which is pretty old for these kind of dogs (normally they don't get much older than 10) and she was the last one from her litter to be alive. We had to put her down though cause she couldn't walk anymore due to old age. =(

I think she might've been a cross between a Bernese mountain dog and a Greater Swiss Mountain dog (cause of the short hair and stuff).

Sister_and_dog.jpg

(that's not me in the picture by the way)

Your have nice doggie Eenuh. :)

I never had a pet dog, I only had cats.

My aunt did have all kinds of dogs.

Five of them had the same names and two dogs with the same name.

Last dog that she had was a boxer.

I have 2, a now old (but has always been grumpy in a good way) English Setter. He's a working breed which is very different to the show type that people are much more familiar with. They are a bit more Collie-ish in their build and their faces are more spaniel-y. Theo actually gets regularly confused with being a Springer.

Then there's the bundle of happy-stupid which is my Golden Retriever, Oscar. Simply loving and enthusiastic.

Just to dig up the old Nature/Nuture arguement again: Any one on this board saying that genetics has nothing to do with how a dog is is mentally damaged. Using personal experience of but on or two dogs of any given breed is no where near a statistical conscensus so pbq.

All dogs are potentially dangerous. Some more so than others for several reasons. Every breed has a distinct personality around which individuals are scattered. Some can land very far from the tree but as people tend to buy dogs with this in mind, many are reared to be the breed stereotype. So nowadays, it is more surprising that a dog is different to that.

There are many breeds that have a history of use as attack, guard or fighting dogs. Many of these natural have a higher possibility fo being aggressive or violent but the way in which that manifests is more important. Take Bluey's Jackie for instance. He's mental, totally unhindged and will go for you unexpectedly. Now he's not that dangerous because it take you about 5 seconds to realise that and if he did get you then the damage is going to be minimal comparatively. But you start taking into account something with the body mass comparative to a person, larger jaws and stronger jaws and a more athletic physique and you could be looking at a nightmare waiting to happen. Potentially.

Specifically in the case of Staffies though, they have indestructible jaws which have a grosse amount of power attached to them. Being bred to be that way was for fighting and they can't be blamed for that. As a result (now this is my personal opinion here) I think that they were bred heavily to be more dosile than many other breeds on purpose because of their potential danger. The breed that they are now is a very likeable and fun loving dog. However with mal-treatment and abuse I don't think that that history is far back enough to not be able to be conjured up somehow.

Strangely I think that mis-placed devotion or loyalty is more potentially dangerous.