NEurope
EEVILMURRAY

Best Band Aid

I believe I made this last year and although it might be considered a trifle late - the sexy conversation I'm having with Flinky has prompted me to remix it for the modern generation.

PEOPLE! There were three Band Aids. Of course the Original, Band Aid 20, but there was one done in 1989 which has gone under the radar, which I think pisses on BA20 but doesn't cut it when compared to the original.

I implore you to consult the visual mediums.

The Original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsqsiJRiCY0&feature=related

I personally love it when Simon Le Bon and Tony Hadley are first shown in this.

Band Aid '89

Bananarama look hotter in this, plus Sonia and Lisa Stansfield look mighty tasty also.

So funky it hurts.

Band Aid 20

Dido's worth a plow, additionally, from my chat with Flinky:

Me: "It's the camerawork which I love. Each time a new artist joins in, the way it slowly pans/tracks just makes me feel it's like the end of a movie, where everyone appears to pimpsmack the antagonist"

FL: "thats how i feel, when it shows people coming together"

Although 89 is sexy music, nothing comes close to the original.

The hair, just look at it! and the Wooo-woowooo-wowaaah-wowowahhwoo..fantastic. :)

Edit: Plus, people, look upon my last.fm thing to the left of yous. Clearly the best Band Aid. :)

I love Dido's voice in the most recent one.

At the time I listened to it over and over just to here her line.

I love Dido in general.

We both agreed that Dido is the fit in the video.

However, Eevil called first, so he gets first dibs on her. It's ok, I'll happily take Bananarama. :)

It is now quarter past 4, and I'm still listening to the original on repeat. I couldn't tell you how long it's been going on for.

There was also a rather amusing toilet incident, where I went into the bathroom, singing Feeed the wwwoooorld into the mirror, just about to sit on the toilet when at the very last second I realised the seat wasn't down.

See, ladies and menfolk, that is the power of Band Aid. Had I been a second or two late, my arse and trousers would almost certainly be filled with toilet water.

I don't like any of them. Blame the lyrics.

"The greatest gift they'll get this year is life"

Well....how is that different from anyone else on the planet. And why would they care about Christmas? They aren't Christian...

What's the difference between God and Bono? Well, God doesn't walk around thinking he's Bono...

But to be fair, only he can deliver the line "well tonight, thank God it's them instead of you" well enough for it to be taken seriously. Because while we think how horrible the poverty situation is in Africa we admit that we are not able to take their place.

I think each has its own merits as a product of its time. Band Aid '89 clearly wasn't a touch on the original does do the job it kinda set out to do, to be that years version of Band Aid from where music was at that point. I think Band Aid 20 splits a lot of people, at first I hated hated but now have grown to love it. Again it shows off the relative music talents of various top artists from each genre that is popular in todays day, for example I at first felt that Dizze Rascals rap had no place in Band Aid, but now I think it is perfectly exceptable and who knows in another 20 years when an aging Lethal Bizzle (odd example I know) gets invited to remake the line people will be lambasting it for not being as great as Band Aid 20!

But to be fair, only he can deliver the line "well tonight, thank God it's them instead of you" well enough for it to be taken seriously.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there baby. Jason Donovan and Matt Goss did an alright job. And as for Band Aid 20, something sexy from the Wiki:

There was a reported dispute over the line 'Tonight thank God it's them, instead of you', which Bono sang on the original version. Justin Hawkins, of The Darkness, laid down a version of the line, but Bono insisted on re-recording his version, which was eventually used on the record.

Bono seemed to have a bitch fit of doing it just for the sake of doing it. He did a shit job of it and just showed how getting on he is., the creaky voiced bastard.

I wouldn't mind hearing how Hawkins delivered it.

And of course, here's Chav Aid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFi34FJqW_Y

Well....how is that different from anyone else on the planet. And why would they care about Christmas? They aren't Christian...

What? Where'd you get that from. Christianity is one of the most widespread religions in Africa alongside Islam. I agree on the absurdness of the lyrics though, "And there wont be snow in Africa this Christmas time", well I should hope not otherwise there is definately something seriously wrong with the worlds climate.

I quite like the song once it gets going, but the beginning always bores me. Anyway, original question answered with the 89 version.

Hehe, loving the Bono hate here.

Anyway, nothing beats the original '84 recording. The rest compares not.

What? Where'd you get that from. Christianity is one of the most widespread religions in Africa alongside Islam. I agree on the absurdness of the lyrics though, "And there wont be snow in Africa this Christmas time", well I should hope not otherwise there is definately something seriously wrong with the worlds climate.

I quite like the song once it gets going, but the beginning always bores me. Anyway, original question answered with the 89 version.

The lyric that always got me was (correct me if I'm wrong though) 'Where no rain or rivers flow'

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you the River Nile, one of the largest on the world (not sure if it's the largest anymore I remember reading they discovered the true source of the Amazon or something :wtf: ah well)

I also thought Time actually was Running Out when Muse told me, turns out I just needed to replace the battery in my watch.

1992-mupp-humbug-scrooge.jpg

Band Aid 89 is ruined by Cliff Richard.

I love the way he says Christmas in "And the christmas bells that ring there"

Loads of African's are Christian actually.

"Encyclopedia Britannica estimates that approximately 46.5% of all Africans are Christians and another 40.5% are Muslims with roughly 11.8% of Africans following indigenous African religions."

I love the way he says Christmas in "And the christmas bells that ring there"

I love that, too.

I can't stand The Richard, but I think he did a good job in Band Aid: The Sequel.

Still, he's not a patch on my man Paul Young, from teh-riginal.

paulyoung03.jpg

How can you say no to that hair?

didn't you create this thread before?

Anyway stupid it's this simple they're all crap in their own little ways but the original beats them all. The whole band aid idea is just shit though.. The concerts are good although at 8 it was hard to ignore bono's annoyingness(see he's so annoying there isn't even a proper word to descrive it)

didn't you create this thread before?
I believe I made this last year

I believe so. And God help me I'm gonna make it next December too.

I love the video for Band Aid, the original. It's one of the last appearances of Bono before he disappeared up his own ass.

His musical talent is something that is sadly missed.

I love the video for Band Aid, the original. It's one of the last appearances of Bono before he disappeared up his own ass.

His musical talent is something that is sadly missed.

he can barely sing! hnoestly.

but everything else is true.

One thing me and Fierce Link noticed during our many watching sessions. Cliff Richard. If you look how he tilts his head:

1.30 "Do they know it's Christmas Time at all..."

2.28 "Do they know it's Christmas Time at all..."

It appears that they've used the same piece of footage, failing that. He's tilting his head as if to signify there are indeed some Africans who lack the awareness of Christmas to his right, which he needs let us know about because the camera's too busy on him singing" [which is probably a good thign]