NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Wii-only Gamers: Do you ever miss the feel of a dual analogue controller?

After playing Wii for sometime I kind of get a yearning to play on something like the 360 pad and PS2 dual shock controller, you now, the controllers you grab as opposed to wrap your hands around them (ala remote and nunchuk). And ofcourse with powerful rumble feedback. Don't get me wrong, nothing ergonomic-wise is wrong with the Wii remote and nunchuk combo its just that I sometimes miss using the classical rumble-propelled pads. Anyone felt the same?

I never missed it, but another analogue would be useful for camera control.

Never really missed it, but it was never really that great in the first place. Dual Analogue has always been passable in my opinion.

I don't miss it. Especially when it comes to shooters, I hated going back to dual analogue controls for Halo 3.

another analogue would be useful for camera control.

That wouldn't be a problem if developers took the time to make good automatic cameras, instead of just lazily handing the job to the player to do manually. Some have - the God Of War games use an excellent automatic camera system.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, I do not.

I'm not all that bothered about dual analogue controls. Not even in FPS/shooters, I'm still more in love with Goldeneye/PD controls than this whole dual-analogue nonsense. And, as somebody else correctly said, the second stick was normally only used for camera anyway.

If anything, the C-Buttons on the N64 were better than the dual analogue of the Gamecube..

Them seem to be a lot easier to go back to.. I am no good at analogue aiming any more, but a lot of that is down to my control styles. They got totally messed up. I used to use the Control Stick to move and turn, with the C-Stick to look up and down and to strafe. Then I played games like Hitman 2 and Conflict Desert Storm 2 which made you use the C-Stick for looking in all directions and the strafing was taken care of with the Control Stick. I won't argue, it's probably a more logical way to play perhaps, but now I can't get used to either of these any more as I keep getting them mixed up. It makes going back to Timesplitters 2 (Which I would love to do) a nightmare!

Despite this, I can go back and pick up Goldeneye of Perfect Dark like I had never been away from them..

I don't miss it cuz of the VC controller... But if I stopped using dual analogue controllers every now and then, I guess the feeling of playing with dual analogues would be pretty good. Going back to something old that you're used to is always great.

Yes, but only in the same sense that I miss using a joystick to play games. Nostalgia, nothing more.

Nope i don't miss it at all as a mater a fact when i play shooters on the 360 and ps3 i think to my self "this can work so much better with the Wii controls"

I know this is a Wii only thread, bu i thought i'd give my 2 cents since i'm very much a "complete" gamer.

Dual analogue, mouse and keyboard, Wiimote and nunchuk and all very different control styles. Vastly different infact.

• Analogue is quicker, but inprecise hense aim assists in console games.
  • The Wiimote can be horribly innaccurate at times, stressful on the arms in long sessions and the turning speed is still very slow.
  • The mouse and keyboard, is still the best control method. Its super precise, incredibly fast, requires no aim assists and is very fun to use if you're used to it.

I dunno, call me a jaded old man if you want, but i still think PC control methods destroy console ones for the most part.

i still think PC control methods destroy console ones for the most part.

Me too actually.

I don't miss it. Especially when it comes to shooters, I hated going back to dual analogue controls for Halo 3.

That wouldn't be a problem if developers took the time to make good automatic cameras, instead of just lazily handing the job to the player to do manually. Some have - the God Of War games use an excellent automatic camera system.

Yeah I know Galaxy and TP had awesome cameras without dual analogue

Even if I have no place in this topic (I'm not a Wii-only gamer), I don't particulary miss analogue sticks, but I do think they still have their place.

For FPS's, it feels hard to go back to DA. The Wii-remote is just so much better if it's implemented right. Even other games work surprisingly well, like Scarface or RE4. Playing something like Eledees just wouldn't be possible with DA.

That said, I think there are games where, at this moment, DA-sticks still have my preference, like certain racers, fighters or games like, e.g. Uncharted or Tomb Raider.

Not really. I've barely used Dual Analogue in my life actually. I only use it for the 360 and the occasional PS2 game. I barely used it in games for the GC and I've never thought about it till you mentioned it :heh:

Vastly different infact.

The Wiimote can be horribly innaccurate at times, stressful on the arms in long sessions and the turning speed is still very slow.

Eh? How so??? :confused:

And if it's stressful on your arms, you're either playing it wrong or hideously unfit!

Eh? How so??? :confused:

And if it's stressful on your arms, you're either playing it wrong or hideously unfit!

Infrared is hardly the most accurate way of pin pointing where a device currently is.

I mean, take Metroid. When you were turning sometimes the Wiimote would no longer track the sensor bar, making things go utterly nuts when you got tracking again.

I'm not hideously unfit btw, i do run around quite alot. But when i play games i like my arms to be relaxed and a few games on the Wii (mostly the FPS) are fairly taxing after a few hours.

Infrared is hardly the most accurate way of pin pointing where a device currently is.

I mean, take Metroid. When you were turning sometimes the Wiimote would no longer track the sensor bar, making things go utterly nuts when you got tracking again.

Sit further away from the TV. The closer you are the more likely you are to be not pointing at the sensor bar. About 10 feet away is pretty much the ideal distance. It's not really innaccurate because it's supposed to be like a mouse, not a laser pointer.

I never really liked DA controls. I found the controls in N64 shooters much better. Playing TimeSplitters on the Cube wasn't quite the same. It was passable, but I never got the accuracy.

I actually like the Nunchuk/Wiimote combo. You can separate your arms and actually lean on the coach or knees, depending on the way you sit. I've yet to play a well-implemented FPS title for controls (havent gotten my hands on MP3 or MOHH2 yet), but Red Steel wasn't that bad actually. Sure the turning was slow, but the shooting was accurate.

As for other games, neh, don't miss the 2nd analog. Occassionally I do miss an extra button in games, but that wouldnt be comfy.

• Analogue is quicker, but inprecise hense aim assists in console games.
  • The Wiimote can be horribly innaccurate at times, stressful on the arms in long sessions and the turning speed is still very slow.
  • The mouse and keyboard, is still the best control method. Its super precise, incredibly fast, requires no aim assists and is very fun to use if you're used to it.

100% agree.

[*]The mouse and keyboard, is still the best control method. Its super precise, incredibly fast, requires no aim assists and is very fun to use if you're used to it.

This, and this all over.

Except for racing games.