NEurope
jammy2211

Nintendo Enhancing VC games?

http://www.consolegaming.eu/newspost.php?id=473

Well, the Virtual Console has recently celebrated it's first birthday and has hosted some of the best retro games dating back over the past 3 decades. It has always strived to truly emulate the classic feel these games once gave us without changing the gameplay or features of a game in any way, making the experience feel exactly how it did when we played the games throughout our childhood.

While retro fans will have praised Nintendo for making the experience feel 100% exactly like it did all those years ago, equally many criticized the fact Nintendo chose to neglect enhancing the experience with perhaps online play or new features, well, until now it seems. While this news isn't the megaton we would have hoped for, like Perfect Dark Online or a set of new tracks for Mario Kart 64, it does perhaps give the optimists amongst us hope that VC games will consist of more then just what they did on launch day.

The somewhat unheard of Pokemon Snap for the Nintendo 64 is set to hit the Japanese VC this December and come with the all new feature allowing players to upload their pictures taken to the official Nintendo message boards and share their experience with the world, as well as sending them to your friends Wii consoles. While it's hardly breathtaking, it is good to hear Nintendo are at least thinking about changing the VC games for the better.

Also the news gave us a list of what is heading to Japan's Virtual Console this December. While there isn't alot there to get excited about, Super Mario Bros 3 is confirmed to be coming our way, as well as Square-Enix's first RPG on the service; "Treasure Hunter G".

I definitely find this quite interesting news. While the features in POkemon snap are passable, if this is the start of greater things to come I'll be a supporter. Pokemon Snap did rule when I borrowed it off my mate too, it was just annoying it didn't have all 150 Pokemon >_>.

To be honest, I think they should give you the option during the start-up screen, "start original version" & "start enhanced version". Things like online multiplayer are cool of course, but some times you just wanna go for the retro feel, and these enhancements aren't helping in that case. Otherwise, just go for the complete remake-overs with enhanced graphics and new levels etc, and sell them for a bit more on the Wiiware channel..

To be honest, I think they should give you the option during the start-up screen, "start original version" & "start enhanced version". Things like online multiplayer are cool of course, but some times you just wanna go for the retro feel, and these enhancements aren't helping in that case. Otherwise, just go for the complete remake-overs with enhanced graphics and new levels etc, and sell them for a bit more on the Wiiware channel..

Or perhaps since its an option no one is going to put a gun to your head and make you upload the photos.

You'd still see the menubutton which wasn't in the original version now would you? Anyway, it's not that big of a deal for me, but I'd just prefer to have the option to play the game in the original state, aside from translations.. Maybe a more simple solution would be to sell both versions seperately in the VC shop, but they'll probably be worried about idiots not able to tell the difference and end up complaining..

TBH, I wish they would fix the component cable issues with the early releases first.

The continued RPG support from Square-Enix is the bigger news for me.: peace:

FF7 still has a remote chance.:smile:

Yeah, because we all know that FF7 came out on Nintendo Playstation.

You'd still see the menubutton which wasn't in the original version now would you? Anyway, it's not that big of a deal for me, but I'd just prefer to have the option to play the game in the original state, aside from translations.. Maybe a more simple solution would be to sell both versions seperately in the VC shop, but they'll probably be worried about idiots not able to tell the difference and end up complaining..

All that fuss? Over a menu button?

Sorry, but that is just plain dumb. Surely the fact you're playing it on Wii wrecks the retro feel more than a single line of writing on the title screen?

Heres a tip: buy an N64 ;)

All that fuss? Over a menu button?

Sorry, but that is just plain dumb. Surely the fact you're playing it on Wii wrecks the retro feel more than a single line of writing on the title screen?

Heres a tip: buy an N64 ;)

You're looking at the screen, not the console are you? I do get your point, and I agree to a certain extent, but it's the game itself that matters more to me. It's simply my taste, I generally want to enjoy entertainment in their original version, although I'm not that obsessed if I'm not aware of the original version or don't have too much experience with it. That's why I bought the FF III remake, I didn't have the pleasure of experiencing it during the NES days. But it's why I hate dubbing, why I hate censorship, and why I hate Han shooting first.That said, I already said simply adding an extra option wasn't that big of a deal for me. Especially since I don't buy that many VC games. Because I actually own a N64 which brought me many years of joy thank you very much, the scart cable is unplugged but it's right next to my TV if I need it..

You don't upload them to the official nintendo message board (not that there is one anymore) you save them to your Wii's message board and then you can send them to a friend.

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is the Virtual Console? :X

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is the Virtual Console? :X

Virtual Console on the Wii that let's you download games from other consoles...

More RPGs and online support plz :)

yes but it could still come out on wiiware although the space it would take up makes it stupid maybe.

50Hz games are ghey. :( Ocarina feels like running through water after playing it in 60Hz on the GC, and emulators online. :(

Yes, and Streets of Rage and Sonic came out on the Nintendo MegaDrive, too.

Yes, and Streets of Rage and Sonic came out on the Nintendo MegaDrive, too.

The point remains though that there is no Playstation section of the Virtual Console. It would have to be Wiiware if it did happen.

The point remains though that there is no Playstation section of the Virtual Console. It would have to be Wiiware if it did happen.

To be honest, I don't see us ever getting 7. It would take a divine miracle for it to appear on the Wii, and that's in any form. A bit surprised S-E aren't re-releasing it full price, they seem to be already milking it for all it's worth. :heh:

Unless sony go er... they don't make software so I guess they can't go software only... well you know what I mean, before the Virtual console closes down. I doubt the VC will ever close though, the next Nintendo console will probably have it also.

I wouldnt call this an enhancement, as nothing about the game has changed.

This is Nintendo we are talking about. If they remake or noticeably enhance a game, itll go on Wii Ware with an enhanced pricetag (ala Dr. Mario)

Nintendo promised improved VC games from the off, I'm surprised it took this long for it to happen.

My hope's for Ocaringa of Time with Twilight Princess graphics and the option to use the same controlscheme or the classic GC controller.

My hope's for Ocaringa of Time with Twilight Princess graphics and the option to use the same controlscheme or the classic GC controller.

Two problems

1) Not enough memory on the Wii

2) Taking into account how long it takes to download an N64 game from Nintendo's servers, It'll probably take a week to download.

Yeah that's what I'd like. Better Nintendo servers for the DLing... I can go have a meal waiting for some stuff!