NEurope
Zechs Merquise

650,000 Wiis in Two Weeks!

US, November 27, 2007 - Nintendo of America revealed on Tuesday that it had sold upward of 650,000 Wii consoles in the last two weeks -- a figure that accounts for only half of November sell-through and yet still surpasses October's final tally. According to the company, it moved 350,000 systems last week and 300,000 the week prior, which makes the period the second-best performer since the console launched.

Nintendo has ramped up Wii production to roughly 1.8 million units per month, but is still struggling to meet demand. The publisher will be unable to up production again any time soon, and as such NOA president Reggie Fils-Aime warned that consumers may have a difficult time finding the console this holiday.

Fils-Aime reportedly spent the weekend spot-checking Wii supply at various retailers, including Wal-Mart and Target.

"I couldn't find a single Wii system on the shelves - literally as I was walking into a Wal-Mart at 11 a.m., someone was walking out with the last one," Fils-Aime said. "Consumers are buying every game we can put into the system." Fils-Aime added that Wii's sales record could be broken the week before Christmas despite continued shortages.

Nintendo is on track to sell 17.5 million Wii consoles globally through the end of March.

From IGN, says it all really. Over half a million consoles in two weeks, and we're not even in December yet!

Just goes to show where all the Wiis are going and why England is constantly out of stock

That is fucking mental. If they coud produce more they'd easily go through a million in december alone.

I actually don't like the sound of this; Nintendo sells their 1.8 million/month bottleneck anyway, but this means that the US gets an unfair share of that stock...

I actually don't like the sound of this; Nintendo sells their 1.8 million/month bottleneck anyway, but this means that the US gets an unfair share of that stock...

Don't worry, most stores are getting a Christmas boost over here with extra stocks arriving for December.

I like my Wii and all, but I don't think the console is good enough to have this much success.

It's great that the Wii is selling as well as it is. It absolutely deserves it. Nintendo took a massive gamble and had a great vision to expand the stagnating market and they did it with innovation and brilliant marketing.

The remote and nunchuck control combination is awesome. We are seeing a whole host of games being created only on Wii, and those that are bringing families together.

It has attracted all sorts, hardcore, casual, senior, children, girls, and even people who got tired of games.

2 of my older brothers are those that got bored of games and stopped playing them. After playing the Wii (namely Wii sports) they want a Wii. Only the most thick skinned stubborn numpty would dismiss the Wii before even trying it. Another one of my brothers (Sony fanboy) is such a person.

I like my Wii and all, but I don't think the console is good enough to have this much success.

It may just seem like every other nintendo console to us, but to someone who is a non-gamer it seems alot better.

It may just seem like every other nintendo console to us, but to someone who is a non-gamer it seems alot better.

Thats the most intellignet thing I've read from you in a while (i'm saying that in a complementry way). You may think as a hardcore gamer Nintendo hasn't earned its success (although i'd disagree with you now that Metroid, Galaxy, Zak and Wiki, Trauma centre and MOH are out), but you've got to remember that to non-gamers the 360 and PS3 hasn't even really taken a step in their direction. What have they done to appeal to Non-gamers? 360 has Viva Pinata (big sarcastic woop) and the PS3 has.....has......, anything? Nintendo has earnt its success, maybe not with you, but it has.

Ever played Viva Piñata? It ain't a non-gamers game, it's one of the most complicated 360 games out there. The learning curve is brutal!

I'm glad to own a Wii and all but this is ridiculous... I haven't even played the thing in a month. But congrats to Nintendo, making up for the gamecube...

Ever played Viva Piñata? It ain't a non-gamers game, it's one of the most complicated 360 games out there. The learning curve is brutal!

Which reinforces my point even more surely? And no, haven't played it.

It's great that the Wii is selling as well as it is. It absolutely deserves it. Nintendo took a massive gamble and had a great vision to expand the stagnating market and they did it with innovation and brilliant marketing.

The remote and nunchuck control combination is awesome. We are seeing a whole host of games being created only on Wii, and those that are bringing families together.

It has attracted all sorts, hardcore, casual, senior, children, girls, and even people who got tired of games.

2 of my older brothers are those that got bored of games and stopped playing them. After playing the Wii (namely Wii sports) they want a Wii. Only the most thick skinned stubborn numpty would dismiss the Wii before even trying it. Another one of my brothers (Sony fanboy) is such a person.

Quoted for truth! Very good post and very true. I've said it before, but lots of my friends who would never usually even consider a games console love the Wii.

That game was never going to sell well on the 360, Rare just don;t seem to be the company they onc were, and I for one believe that's partly to do with their new partnership. I always felt Rare and Nintendo almost belonged to together.

Which reinforces my point even more surely? And no, haven't played it.

Yes, it does. And it was a point well made.

I for one believe that's partly to do with their new partnership. I always felt Rare and Nintendo almost belonged to together.

They made some pretty crappy games towards the end with Nintendo though. I reserve judgement for the Microsoft partnership so far, Perfect Dark was average but Kameo and Viva were better than the Gamecube Rare game(s?). Banjo Threeie will be the real test, if they can nail that then they are back on form, if not then Microsoft wasted a lot of money!

Funny how much drastically better the Wii is selling and being stocked in the US than even Japan. Wii was outsold by the PS3 for a 4th week in a row last week in Japan, where as in the US the Wii almost quadruples PS3 sales regularly.

The market really is split all over the place. Wouldn't surprise me if by the end of the gen, Wii was dominating the US, 360 dominating Europe and PS3 dominating Japan.

They made some pretty crappy games towards the end with Nintendo though. I reserve judgement for the Microsoft partnership so far, Perfect Dark was average but Kameo and Viva were better than the Gamecube Rare game(s?). Banjo Threeie will be the real test, if they can nail that then they are back on form, if not then Microsoft wasted a lot of money!

I think Rare only made one Gamecube game, Star Fox Adventures. I think the Golden age for Rare was on the N64 where they just churned out classic after classic and really did as much to define that platform as Nintendo themselves. I just believe Rare, the type of games they produce and their general philosophy are more in line with Nintendo.

Funny how much drastically better the Wii is selling and being stocked in the US than even Japan. Wii was outsold by the PS3 for a 4th week in a row last week in Japan, where as in the US the Wii almost quadruples PS3 sales regularly.

The market really is split all over the place. Wouldn't surprise me if by the end of the gen, Wii was dominating the US, 360 dominating Europe and PS3 dominating Japan.

The PS3 has outsold the Wii for the 4th week, but only marginally and the Wii is still selling very well. The price drop has obviously done the PS3 the world of good. However, with Wii Fit and then Brawl, I wonder if it will last. Personally I think the PS3 will have a better a chance in Japan as it's only a two horse race over there.

I think the 360 will have a ahrd time beating the Wii in Europe though, what with current sales and all.

I think the 360, and even the PS3 will do well over here due to the Wii shortages leading up to Xmas, especially with some of the bundles on offer for the 360.

Most importantly, a large majority of parents who get a 360 for their kids because they can't find a Wii aren't exactly gonna go out and buy a Wii when they become available. I don't think so anyway!!

And there's where the difference in consoles come in. You can't get games like WiiSports on the 360 or PS3. People are scowling the streets for Wiis, and they will continue to do so.

However, had the Wii been similar to the 360 and PS3 in terms of what they all offer, then the same couldn't be said.