NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Whats up with the Japanese Gamers?

The Japanese market is changing, the days of epic 30 hour quests are slimming out and see their once huge sales being replaced by games like Brain Training, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs etc. There is still a market for hardcore games in Japan and whatnot, but it's quickly becoming the minority.

As for PS3 sales being high this week, they recently launched a new SKU in the country at a lower pricepoint, as well as a big game release that week (Dynasty Warriors 6). They'll soon drop back down to normal size, but also I do think that alot of people in Japan are buying the PS3 purely as a Blu-Ray player. HD attatch rate over there is like 70%, and software sales are poor, so it'd be a good assumption that some people buy it for Blu-Ray and not gaming.

Galaxy will sell well in the end, 3d Mario's have never sold particually well in Japan and Galaxy is on course to be the best selling 3d Mario ever in Japan. Equally Wii Fit will completely rip the market to pieces and will have that effect whereby it sells 10k units every week for the whole year, which is really what it's all about.

The market is at a bad period at the moment anyway, but that's just a trend effecting every console which will go away as we approach Christmas.

I guess we'll see another Mario and Zelda game on Wii, but they will be less traditional, more Wiimote-specific and generally more accessible.

We wil probably see more spin-offs like Link's Crossbow Training.

But I won't say old Nintendo fans have anything to complain about: Classic Zelda game at launch, a great 3D Mario platformer, a third Metroid Prime game despite low sales of the second game, a new Smash Bros. with every feature a fan could dream about. All this within the first 14 months...

I guess we'll see another Mario and Zelda game on Wii, but they will be less traditional, more Wiimote-specific and generally more accessible.

But I won't say old Nintendo fans have anything to complain about: Classic Zelda game at launch, a great 3D Mario platformer, a third Metroid Prime game despite low sales of the second game, a new Smash Bros. with every feature a fan could dream about. All this within the first 14 months...

you have a point there

Mabey there actually seeing that the PS3 isn't a pile of a crap like some people make it out to be.

It's not. And next year it'll really kick into force.

We'll see how long that will last. Casual gaming is going to destroy the market, mark my words lad!

I dunno whats up with the Japs, maybe they just fancy something different? Ok its weird (and disappointing) that they aren't all fighting to get a copy of Mario Galaxy, but sure the Wii has sold there non-stop all year so far- And has done amazing after the GameCube getting slaughtered by the PS2.

As for this casual gaming lark, it ain't that bad. Who doesn't enjoy Wii Sports? Who hasn't had fun with Nintendogs and Brain Training? It can all co-exist... there is a certain "freshness" about those games, and its definitely nice being able to put on the Wii knowing that I can play it just as easily for fifteen minutes as for a few hours.

But yeah, I hope that the poor sales of the more "heavy" games like Mario Galaxy in Japan doesn't have a knock on effect for the rest of us.

None of us know how Nintendo market the Wii in Japan but it does seem that the core gamer is not convinced by the Wii yet. maybe it is down to the Gamecube being a let down. I dunno but I do find it strange!

Gamecube must of had more core gamers owning the machine over the Wii.

I worry for third party games like No More Heroes. I honestly think that the game will bomb in Japan no matter how good the reviews are. Wii Fit will be mental and sales will be crazy but seriously do you want the Wii to be just a casual gamers machine in Japan. Wii-Fit is probably the only software that can stop the Wii Sales slump before Smash Bros is released. Again though core gamers will still be shunning the hardware.

Why are third parties gonna bother releasing more core games on the Wii when they do not shift units. Now you can see why Square-Enix decided to release Dragon Quest on the DS. People on here wanted it on the Wii but I am actually happy they picked the DS instead.

Nintendo Japan got the core and casual gamers buying DS machines. looks like they failed with the Wii so far. What would be interesting is if Nintendo released a new 3-D mario game on the DS. I pretty sure over the first 4 weeks it would beat SMG sales.

With Dragon Quest IV being released this week (360,000) first day sales which is a port remember you can expect SMG sales to be lower again next week.

That Sonic & Mario Olympics games only sold 15,000 first day so looks like it could bomb.

Mario, too hard core!?!

What's happened to todays youth? I guess I'll have to blame it all on Tokio Hotel and all those other girly bands the modern brats listen to!

Seriously though, I hope that there'll be some more core games for the Wii. The world seems to be going to hell in a handbasket. I just don't get how somebody could prefer Brain Academy to Mario. Sure, I understand Zelda, since that's not too easy to get the grips on. But Mario?

Personally I get boored of Brain Academy after five minutes, I don't think it's worht the cash.

There is this thing called dmeand and supply, both are linked to the price of the product. The PS3 had a price drop, thusly demand increased...

It's quite simple, we saw the same in the states, when the 60gb version was reduced to clear demand increased. The only difference in Japan is that the 360 isn't an issue, it's effectively a dead duck, hence demand for the PS3 is higher as it's the only HD console the public really considers buying.

The PS3 price cuts have caused demand for the console to rise all over the world, as it would. Just think back to other under performing or failing systems. Both the Saturn and the Gamecube saw temporary revivals when price cuts came into effect.

I remember in one case Dixons announced they were to stop selling the Cube and dropped the price, they sold so many so quickly they decided to carry on selling it. However it wasn't some great turn around in the Cube's fortunes. It was simply a sales spike that went against the trend of the markt due to reduced price.

Also, you can't expect one console to outsell another every week, there will always be the odd week when things go the other way, we've even seen that with the DS which has a grip of iron on Japan.

Once the reduced price PS3s are all gone, and when Wii-Fit emerges we'll see who is back on top. After all the Japanese market has changed. Pick up and play titles, and the new breed of gaming has taken over. People over there just don't seem to be as bothered about long quests as they are about petting virtual dogs, doing 10 minutes of brain exercises and jumping around their living rooms at the latest 'Mario Party'.

Well the reason the PS3 wasnt selling before was he price, it was never a case of nobody wanting the thing.

Now the price is affordable all those that where not interested in the Wii and forwhatever reason never even concidered getting a 360 are buying it.

The probable reason for this is twofold, firstly the PS3 the dropped in price, and secondly, all sales are going up because of the Christmas season. The Wii just can't go up any more because there aren't enough Wiis.

The probable reason for this is twofold, firstly the PS3 the dropped in price, and secondly, all sales are going up because of the Christmas season. The Wii just can't go up any more because there aren't enough Wiis.

Like I said before, there is no shortage in Japan. also forget about the PS3 price drop as Wii sales have been slowing down for weeks now. It was predicted SMG would give Wii Hardware a boost but it never happened.

Wii sales slowed down about 3 months ago. why I don't know. Maybe it was lack of software or Wii just losing interest in Japan. SMG and Resident Evil: UC didnt really do anything for Wii Hardware even though both have had good sales.

And don't forget about the lack of RPGs. Japanese are crazy for them and the Wii has next to none of them. Just wait till they start coming out like FF:CC and it should do better,hopefully...

We'll see next week if Wii Fit turns things around. The Japanese used to be the long quest and RPG fans, but they've changed, I wonder if the next Final Fantasy will have the same impact as the likes of Brain Training.

Japanese Gamers still want RPG's. FFIII and Dragon Quest IV sales on the DS prove this. these games are just ports but have sold very well.

Well, there are only so much people who buy consoles. Given the very strong Wii-sales early on in its lifespan, a lot of people already have a Wii. No point in buying another one just because Mario Galaxy is out. People who were going to buy Mario, probably already bought a Wii earlier.

Well, there are only so much people who buy consoles. Given the very strong Wii-sales early on in its lifespan, a lot of people already have a Wii. No point in buying another one just because Mario Galaxy is out. People who were going to buy Mario, probably already bought a Wii earlier.

But which people already purchased Wii's. Casual or Core gamers? We do not know the Wii Hardware demographics.

Well I'm a bit worried. The Wii hype may be fading and you can say what you want, but the PS3 has more powerful hardware. We have to be realistic: there actually is a chance that the PS3 beats the Wii totally next year.

You just don't see many kids who enjoy Super Mario games any more these days. They want to play some game where you can be a tough gangsta in da hoodz and shood homiez up yo! Many people prefer these types of games with powerful graphics rather than pure fun games that stress more on gameplay rather than amazing graphics.

I may be mistaking though.

Does that mean we have to fear Nintendo will go bankrupt, beaten by Sony? I hope not and I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. Let us not forget that the Gamecube got raped by the PS2 yet Nintendo still comfortably survived and kept making games that we like. Someone here said something a long time ago and I can't remember who it was, but he was right: Nintendo perfectly knows how to make profit and comfortably survive on the second or even third place.

But which people already purchased Wii's. Casual or Core gamers? We do not know the Wii Hardware demographics.

If we want to be honest with ourselves.... probably the casual gamers. Althought Nintendo do hava a strong fanbase. Probably bigger than M$. It's still soon to think about it, i think. If you look to the games that were already release you will see a lot more casual games "love" then hardcore games. In this case, i think it's normal seeing japan betting on these kind of games. Like Wiifit, for example. We need to remind ourselves that if Nintendo wants to win this, they will need a bigger audience than ourselves. That's why the new "philosofy".

If we want to be honest with ourselves.... probably the casual gamers. Althought Nintendo do hava a strong fanbase. Probably bigger than M$. It's still soon to think about it, i think. If you look to the games that were already release you will see a lot more casual games "love" then hardcore games. In this case, i think it's normal seeing japan betting on these kind of games. Like Wiifit, for example. We need to remind ourselves that if Nintendo wants to win this, they will need a bigger audience than ourselves. That's why the new "philosofy".

no doubt they need a bigger audience but I get the feeling that the core gamer is ignoring the Wii which isnt good..

You just don't see many kids who enjoy Super Mario games any more these days. They want to play some game where you can be a tough gangsta in da hoodz and shood homiez up yo! Many people prefer these types of games with powerful graphics rather than pure fun games that stress more on gameplay rather than amazing graphics.

The wii is mass market at the minute - the one in the most homes. The PS2 was the same, and both consoles acumulated a lot of dross kid-centric titles. The key thing was that the Ps2 was all things to all gamers - movie tie-in crap for the kids, shootey gangsta "adult" games for the 12 year olds (and 20-somethings), final fantasy for the RPG crowd etc etc.

The wii needs more shootey gangsta "adult" bullshit to rope in that 12-to-20s crowd. This is its current weakness. Sort this out and its laughing.

PS: i'm not slagging off shootey gangsta "adult" bullshit. I like those games as much as the next person. Its just that they seem to gain an "adult" tag, a "mature" tag when its core market is da kids. Like alcopops back in the day. Be grown up and cool... drink alcoholic lemonade!

Media Create Sales 11/19 - 11/25 software

Galaxy is now out of top 10.

01. [NDS] Dragon Quest IV (Square-Enix) - 597,000 / NEW

02. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami) - 294,000 / NEW

03. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami) - 141,000 / NEW

04. [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo) - 110,000 / 460,000

05. [PS2] Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess (Square-Enix) - 68,000 / NEW

06. [WII] Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo) - 63,000 / NEW

07. [NDS] Dinosaur King: The Seven Fragments (Sega) - 57,000 / NEW

08. [NDS] Mega Man Star Force 2: Berserk × Shinobi (Capcom) - 37,000 / NEW

09. [NDS] Mega Man Star Force 2: Berserk × Dinosaur (Capcom) - 37,000 / NEW

10. [PS2] Pachinko Assassin III: Iron Pachi-Chonmage 13 (Hackberry) - 36,000 / NEW

11. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)

12. [NDS] Won!tertainment: Music Channel (Capcom)

13. [PS3] Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (Koei)

14. [WII] Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Capcom)

15. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)

16. [NDS] Pro Baseball Family Stadium DS (Bandai-Namco)

17. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)

18. [360] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami)

19. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)

20. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary (Nintendo)

21. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo)

22. [NDS] Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon: Time Expedition Party (Pokémon)

23. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)

24. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS (Bandai-Namco)

25. [NDS] Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (Square-Enix)

26. [360] Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess (Square-Enix)

27. [NDS] DS Nishimura Kyotarou Suspense Detective Series: Deadly Intent (Tecmo)

28. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)

29. [NDS] Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon: Shadow Expedition Party (Pokémon)

30. [NDS] DS Literature Collection (Nintendo)

Mario's fall from the charts is depressing, as was Zelda's. But Zelda still sold over 5 million copies, and I'm expecting long term sales of Mario to be high.

Nice to see the DS kicking arse again though. Has anyone got hardware figures?