NEurope
Guest Jordan

20 Stupid Laws!

Whilst on the BBC site i stumbled upon this. Twenty UK and international laws that are real and just basically stupid.

UK Laws

• 1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27%)

• 2. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen's image upside-down (7%)

• 3. It is illegal for a woman to be topless in Liverpool except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (6%)

• 4. Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned(5%)

• 5. If someone knocks on your door in Scotland and requires the use of your toilet, you are required to let them enter (4%)

• 6. In the UK a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman's helmet (4%)

• 7. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen (3.5%)

• 8. It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing (3%)

• 9. It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour

• 10. It is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls of York, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (2%)

Foreign Laws

• In Ohio, it is illegal to get a fish drunk (9%)

• In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation (8%)

• A male doctor in Bahrain can only examine the genitals of a woman in the reflection of a mirror (7%)

• In Switzerland, a man may not relieve himself standing up after 10pm (6%)

• It is illegal to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle in Alabama (6%)

• In Florida, unmarried women who parachute on a Sunday could be jailed (6%)

• Women in Vermont must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth (6%)

• In Milan, it is a legal requirement to smile at all times, except during funerals or hospital visits (5%)

• In France, it is illegal to name a pig Napoleon (4%)

If you have any, please feel free to post!

-It is legal to shoot a welshman with a bow and arrow inside the city walls of Chester.

- Taxi drivers can urinate in the street onto the back wheel of their cab whilst leaning on their cab with their right hand.

I remember a couple old laws here that were legal but were made void a couple og years ago.

Killing Turkish people was legal (This was because couple hundred years ago a boat full of Turkish people raided an island here) This law is of course

It is illegal to walk a cow down Laugarvegur (Street in downtown Reykjavik) on a sunday.

It was legal to have more than 1 wife as long as the second wife was Norwegian

All curch doors must face east

Those are pretty hilarious. :heh:

In Milan, it is a legal requirement to smile at all times, except during funerals or hospital visits (5%)

Reminds me of the Simpsons when Ned takes over the world. :heh:

Y'know, I'd like to hear the stories which lead to these laws being made. I wonder what the hell happened which the state of Florida pass a separate law saying unmarried women can't parachute on Sundays.

It is illegal to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle in Alabama (6%)

...fair enough?

...fair enough?

I think that was highlighted for the pure pointlessness of the law. Surely that's commonsense.

I think that was highlighted for the pure pointlessness of the law. Surely that's commonsense.

Yeah, I know, I know. Fair point.

Still, I suppose sometimes it's good to put something in legal writing, y'know, incase there's idiots who think it's OK to do so because there's no law

3. It is illegal for a woman to be topless in Liverpool except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (6%)

What? :wtf:

3. It is illegal for a woman to be topless in Liverpool except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (6%)

What? :wtf:

A.K.A Strip/lap dancing club/brothel

That might be the reason that a tropical fish store is next to sex shop near my house area.

In Canada its illegal to do your wash on certain days of the week, though I can't remember what days it is.

Whenever you think no one's stupid enough to do something, there always is someone who will do it.

5. If someone knocks on your door in Scotland and requires the use of your toilet, you are required to let them enter (4%)

I think that's quite a good one actually. Ever really really really needed to take a dump when you're out? :heh:

in texas it is legal to shoot a bull anywhere apart from the second floor of a motel on sundays,

got loads more at home, ill post laterz

in texas its illegal to take your fridge outside and sit on top of it

*sigh*

5. If someone knocks on your door in Scotland and requires the use of your toilet, you are required to let them enter (4%)

That's actually an massively useful law. The number of times I've been caught short and had nowhere to go.

Here's a daft one, in America you're legally allowed to buy and own a gun. Hmmmmm.

I don't believe most of those on the first post exist.

they do, really they do

I don't believe most of those on the first post exist.

I know that:

4. Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned(5%)

was introduced by Oliver Cromwell I think, in order to promote puritanical thinking and reduce gluttony on a religious day. It's just never got revoked.

In Sarasota, Florida, it's illegal to sing whilst wearing a bikini.

In Miami, Florida. It's illegal for men to wear strapless gowns in public.

You cannot take a bath without a doctor's permission in Virginia.

It's against the law to bathe two babies at the same time in Los Angeles.

It's a felony for a woman to open her husbands mail in Montana.

It's a legal requirement that, if you see a Scottish man on London Bridge, holding a crossbow, you must kill him.

Louisiana

-It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water pistol.

Nebraska

-It is illegal for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup.

New York

-The penalty for jumping off a building is death.

Texas

-A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.

-The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.

Wisconson

-Butter substitutes are not allowed to be served in state prisons.

http://www.lawguru.com/weird/part01.html

England

-Those wishing to use a television must apply for a license.

http://www.lawguru.com/weird/part02.html