N-Europe

X-Files 2

Dante

Fans of "The X-Files" no longer have to rely on Internet rumors in seeking the truth about a sequel to the popular series' 1998 movie.

On Wednesday, Fox announced production will start Dec. 10 in Vancouver on the sequel, which reunites the show's stars, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson. The studio also picked July 25 as the U.S. release date.

Series creator Chris Carter will direct the still-untitled film. Carter also co-wrote the screenplay with Frank Spotnitz. The duo also are producing, with Fox production vp Steve Asbell overseeing for the studio.

The studio is staying little about the film's story line. All that is being revealed is that it is a "supernatural thriller" and that the movie will take the complicated relationship between FBI agents Fox Mulder (Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Anderson) in unexpected directions as Mulder continues on his quest for the truth and Scully remains inextricably tied to her partner's pursuits.

The July 25 release date would put "X-Files" up against the Sony comedy "Step Brothers," starring Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly, and an untitled Dimension comedy staring Ice Cube from MGM.

It also would be entering the market one week after Warner Bros.' "Batman Begins" sequel "The Dark Knight," which is set for July 18.

Fox's "X-Files" ran for nine seasons, ending in 2002. The first feature film, produced by Carter and co-written with Spotnitz, grossed $187 million worldwide.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

And the problem with that thread is X-files fans would not necessarily know about the news if it was only posted there :/

Jay I don't want it to look like I'm stalking you outside of the Mafia Game thread now, but you have a point. I haven't been in the movie news thread once so I wouldn't have seen it there.

The X-files is one of those programs I was aware of in my younger days, watched once or twice. But know nothing about it other than the characters names Mulder and Scully and thats down to that song (name escapes me).

Anyone care to remind a poor soul [of what the program was about, not the stupid song]?

THe song was catatonia... I know that's not what you wanted :P

David Duchovny's character's sister was abducted or someshit. Scully was always the sceptic, disbelieving in aliens and any really weird goings on. It was a typical 'monster of the week' sort of show, where people with strange powers would show up, kill someone or something, and the agents would investigate and sort of find the dude missing and never really be able to solve the case - or solved it too logically for what happened.

Then there's the guy who always smoked who came in and hinted that he knew what happened with Mulder's sister, or something.

In the end they all had babies and raced pigs!

• 8 months later...

So I was on a media black out for this new X-Files film, having only saw the advert for it umpteen times during the Neighbours omnibus on Fiver last weekend. I saw the film there and what can I say, it was good to be back.

There was a distinct lack of

aliens

but the story was still decent enough, I think. More down to earth than most X-Files storylines.