NEurope
flameboy

Monster Hunter Tri

Duplication costs are very small. The costs of actually producing the game once the code has been completed are tiny, in fact I would say that the pressing of the disks, the production of the case and the booklet and the sleeve would be less than 2 dollars, maybe even less than a dollar, per unit.

So half a million copies for the states would cost ~$750,000 and if sold would bring in ~$25,000,000 (@ $50 per copy). The real ball ache and 'cost' comes in the translation of the text, which is not a big deal for AU, UK and US markets, but is very annoying when you have to translate for the whole of Europe.

The other huge cost is down to the advertising and promotion of the title. It might be a tight call to whether it is released, but I'd say it will at least come out in the states.

You have alot of figures wrong, for every copy Capcom manufacture it'll cost rougly $4 in shipping / manufacturing / taxes, then an additional $6 to pay royalties to Nintendo (Which they pay during manufacturing, not after the game is sold). That puts costs of making 500k of the game around $5 million.

Then they'll sell to retail each copy around $30 dollars per copy, albeit I'm basing that off the cut UK retailers take so it could be more or less. Retailers won't take all 500k up at once, either, but you can see the figures become less favourable. Sure Capcom can still make a tidy profit if they sell alot of those copies at full retail price, but how often does that happen on the Wii?

There are often costs like translation, server hosting, PAL Conversion, marketing (maybe lol) etc. It doesn't look like a great 'deal' to me.

You have alot of figures wrong, for every copy Capcom manufacture it'll cost rougly $4 in shipping / manufacturing / taxes, then an additional $6 to pay royalties to Nintendo (Which they pay during manufacturing, not after the game is sold). That puts costs of making 500k of the game around $5 million.

Then they'll sell to retail each copy around $30 dollars per copy, albeit I'm basing that off the cut UK retailers take so it could be more or less. Retailers won't take all 500k up at once, either, but you can see the figures become less favourable. Sure Capcom can still make a tidy profit if they sell alot of those copies at full retail price, but how often does that happen on the Wii?

There are often costs like translation, server hosting, PAL Conversion, marketing (maybe lol) etc. It doesn't look like a great 'deal' to me.

Yes, my mistake, I was just taking into account duplication and production, which is shockingly cheap. Also I left out the royalties.

It's odd though as most companies selling 500k of a game would see that a success.

Yes, my mistake, I was just taking into account duplication and production, which is shockingly cheap. Also I left out the royalties.

It's odd though as most companies selling 500k of a game would see that a success.

500k sold at full retail price is a huge success. Equally is a game like Zack and Wiki with low developement costs and without a marketing budget, albeit I'm sure the figure weren't as favourable as alot of people dream up as it did get hit hard by retail price cuts (In America anyway).

It all depends on context really.

Just to underline what Jamba said, MH is huge in Japan. If you remember the last TGS, Capcom's booth had by far the biggest line.

Capcom introduce you to the Sunahara desert and let you discover the Borboros a giant lizard which live inside it.

Remember that the game is planned for 2009 in Japan and has no other release dates yet.

61331520090122_183216_0_big.jpg

61331520090122_183216_1_big.jpg

61331520090122_183216_2_big.jpg

61331520090122_183216_3_big.jpg

61331520090122_183216_4_big.jpg

61331520090122_183216_5_big.jpg

61331520090122_183216_6_big.jpg

61331520090122_183217_7_big.jpg

61331520090122_183217_8_big.jpg

61331520090122_183217_9_big.jpg

61331520090122_183217_10_big.jpg

61331520090122_183217_11_big.jpg

61331520090122_183217_12_big.jpg

61331520090122_183217_13_big.jpg

61331520090122_183217_14_big.jpg

61331520090122_183217_15_big.jpg

61331520090122_183217_16_big.jpg

WOW! This just looks amazing. I think CAPCOM are doing a greta job and it should be a lesson to otehr developers - I just hope its sales do it justice.

I see you can now preorder Monster Hunter G with the limited edition classic controller for £50 over at play-asia. Im REALLY tempted to get a Japanese Wii and import this and Monster Hunter 3. Its a slog on trying to understand what items you carve/gather ( did it on the Jap PSP version ) but I really dont want to miss out on another MH game, especially MH3!

Instead of a Japanese Wii just use the homebrew channel :heh: Save you a fair amount of money.

Instead of a Japanese Wii just use the homebrew channel :heh: Save you a fair amount of money.

Unitl Nintendo block and (and rightly so) with the next Wii update!

Then don't update, and hopefully by the time you have to buy a new game that forces a firmware update with some luck the new BootMii homebrew will be finally finished

Unitl Nintendo block and (and rightly so) with the next Wii update!

Exactly, just don't update and you'll be fine. Seeing how the firmware updates have never actually removed the HBC, i'm not exactly worried.

Exactly, just don't update and you'll be fine. Seeing how the firmware updates have never actually removed the HBC, i'm not exactly worried.

Not entirely true, the Oct 23rd update broke the HBC remember, of course a workround was made a few days later, the following v3.4 update has no effect on a HBC already installed

What is this homebrew channel? People told me to get it, and I'm aware it's something to do with...dubious means of playing games...

I'm thinking I might install home-brew. Does it still work with the current Wii OS? And will I easily be able to un-install it if there's a system update?

I might import disaster then.

Also, is there an app for it that allows you to load VC/Wii ware games off an SD card?

Not entirely true, the Oct 23rd update broke the HBC remember, of course a workround was made a few days later, the following v3.4 update has no effect on a HBC already installed

Ah yeah I think I remember that. Trying to remember everything from HB is starting to mess with my head. October 23rd was 3.3 and folk thought that was the end of it since the TH didn't work, then from 3.4 instead of .elf, it was .dol I think?

Looking back, i'm getting half confused now :heh:

Ah yeah I think I remember that. Trying to remember everything from HB is starting to mess with my head. October 23rd was 3.3 and folk thought that was the end of it since the TH didn't work, then from 3.4 instead of .elf, it was .dol I think?

Looking back, i'm getting half confused now :heh:

I'm stuck on that version because after that the Wii updates without authorization right?

I think so from what reports were saying about the new terms and conditions or something. Though i've downgraded my Wii back down to 3.2 since I need a component cable to play Brawl with 3.3 and the HBC, so i'm using the FreeLoader again. Though my mum has a Wii with 3.4 so if it does update automatically, i'll know not to upgrade.

I dislike homebrew as it allows Ocarina, and then you have all the cheats on Mario Kart etc. I know some people use it for perfectly legitimate reasons but it's just too open to abuse in my book.

Indeed, it is fairly open and people do end up abusing it to take fun out of things or use it for illegal means. But now with more games I want seeming to be region restricted now, i'm glad I can use it to play imported games.

Although I support the games industry and all, i'll still keep using it for my importing needs :heh:

If you're using it for importing, you're definantly supporting the industry. After all you are buying the games.

Certainly, if enough Wii games remain exclusive to Japan, i'll import- and learn Japanese. But, i'm more likely to buy a Japanese Wii than have the HB channel.

Hehe, the Wii was already at v3.3 when the Oct 23rd Update came, people thought it was 3.4 but it wasn't, guess you could call it 3.3.1

And think they switched to .dol before 3.4 as I used the .dol file when installing on 3.3

(haha, and you're the one who thought me about HBC)

I think so from what reports were saying about the new terms and conditions or something. Though i've downgraded my Wii back down to 3.2 since I need a component cable to play Brawl with 3.3 and the HBC, so i'm using the FreeLoader again. Though my mum has a Wii with 3.4 so if it does update automatically, i'll know not to upgrade.

How did you downgrade it? Format the memory?

And you could stop the auto update by just turning off the WiiConnect24, of course that'll stop you from receiving messages and the Nintendo Channel won't work.

Although I support the games industry and all, i'll still keep using it for my importing needs :heh:

But if your buying official games your still supporting it, the publisher and devs are still getting your money.