N-Europe

Football Manager 2008

flameboy

Well my 2nd season as Pompey has gone a bit pear shaped...5th now...still in with a shout for champs league though...lost in Carling Cup Semi Final to Liverpool as well, had annoying thing where I played them 3 times in 2 weeks won 1-0 at Anfield in 1st leg, then beat them 5-0 at home in the league, but then lost 4-2 at home in the cup semi final...dammit... still in FA Cup though...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked this up a few weeks ago- I haven't been in management since Champ Manager 4 maybe.

So I started playing it though not as much as I remember playing the old Champ games. Its good but there are alot of options and stuff, I'm getting settled in the game now but there is still some stuff I haven't touched.

Anyway, I chose Liverpool (I used to pick a Serie A team, mostly Inter, and then move to England after a while) and aside from the Champions League, things didn't work out well. I was put out of the league cup in the first round, I was shocking in the league and I didn't know who to buy at all. I bought Solari as a panic buy before the transfer window closed, and sold Sissoko. Due to all that I was sacked at Christmas. I played on a while, applied to the likes of Sampdoria, Levante, Udinese and some others but they snubbed me- and rightly so!

Due to all that I started a new file... once again at Liverpool, determined I would have learned from my mistakes and general noobidity.

And I have! I sold Sissoko and Pennant and I brought in David Thompson on a free- I don't use him often but he's useful cover. Also, from what I learned from getting my scouts out around Italy, Spain and Brazil in my previous file, I've managed to get bidding on players I didn't know of who the other big teams snapped up.

Zaccardo was my main target (like in my first file) but he ended up being too dear. I got a boy Vaillati from Torino who I play on the right wing and some other young Spaniard too who's a bit cack still. I have some Brazilians due in the January transfer window- two defenders or a defender and a midfielder. I forked out 12million for one of them to stave off Olympiacos, Real and other big European teams so lets hope they both are worth it!

I made an effort to stay in the league cup, I'm doing better in the league (I have some games in hand that if I can win then we'll go top!) and I qualified in second place in my Champions League group. I got complacent in it- I didn't bother checking the table and ended up drawing and losing because I thought first place was guaranteed, lol.

Good game, though matches are goal fests more often than not. My first league game I won 6 or 7-1 away to Newcastle and I drew 3-3 or 4-4 at home to United and most games seem to be like this. Its very hard to keep a clean sheet, even when it says Carragher, Reina and co are having great matches. I only play a 4-4-2 so its not like I'm leaving myself open. ::shrug:

Its good, though somehow not as addictive as the old Champ games, though maybe thats just me.

Picked this up a few weeks ago- I haven't been in management since Champ Manager 4 maybe.

So I started playing it though not as much as I remember playing the old Champ games. Its good but there are alot of options and stuff, I'm getting settled in the game now but there is still some stuff I haven't touched.

Anyway, I chose Liverpool (I used to pick a Serie A team, mostly Inter, and then move to England after a while) and aside from the Champions League, things didn't work out well. I was put out of the league cup in the first round, I was shocking in the league and I didn't know who to buy at all. I bought Solari as a panic buy before the transfer window closed, and sold Sissoko. Due to all that I was sacked at Christmas. I played on a while, applied to the likes of Sampdoria, Levante, Udinese and some others but they snubbed me- and rightly so!

Due to all that I started a new file... once again at Liverpool, determined I would have learned from my mistakes and general noobidity.

And I have! I sold Sissoko and Pennant and I brought in David Thompson on a free- I don't use him often but he's useful cover. Also, from what I learned from getting my scouts out around Italy, Spain and Brazil in my previous file, I've managed to get bidding on players I didn't know of who the other big teams snapped up.

Zaccardo was my main target (like in my first file) but he ended up being too dear. I got a boy Vaillati from Torino who I play on the right wing and some other young Spaniard too who's a bit cack still. I have some Brazilians due in the January transfer window- two defenders or a defender and a midfielder. I forked out 12million for one of them to stave off Olympiacos, Real and other big European teams so lets hope they both are worth it!

I made an effort to stay in the league cup, I'm doing better in the league (I have some games in hand that if I can win then we'll go top!) and I qualified in second place in my Champions League group. I got complacent in it- I didn't bother checking the table and ended up drawing and losing because I thought first place was guaranteed, lol.

Good game, though matches are goal fests more often than not. My first league game I won 6 or 7-1 away to Newcastle and I drew 3-3 or 4-4 at home to United and most games seem to be like this. Its very hard to keep a clean sheet, even when it says Carragher, Reina and co are having great matches. I only play a 4-4-2 so its not like I'm leaving myself open. ::shrug:

Its good, though somehow not as addictive as the old Champ games, though maybe thats just me.

Sounds like you need the latest patch, should fix the high scoring games. click the check for updates button in the main menu.

Sounds like you need the latest patch, should fix the high scoring games. click the check for updates button in the main menu.

Will do, I've been tempted to click on the updates button but for some reason I haven't. Next time I fire it up I'll check for updates, thanks!

Just picked this game up at the week-end, loving it so far! Started as Liverpool and to be honest I'm not doing too well. Sold Sissoko and brought in Aiden McGeady at the start of the season, thought at first I was doing okay!

I won nearly all my matches at the start (Lost to Reading 4-2 though, Kevin Doyle is doing fantastic for them!Two months in, and hes scored 15 goals in the League and they're top of the table!) but the trouble came against Roma in the Champions League, Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Alonso all got injured for between 1-3 months! Has been going downhill since then and it really doesn't help matters that I'm terrible at picking tactics and what team-talks to give and all that stuff.

So basically I'm looking for tips :heh:. Any advice would be appreciated, as I certainly need it.

I never bother with team talks I find them too random always just set my assistant to take them. The tactic I use is on the previous page I think ive found it works pretty well. Although I havent tried it I imagine it would be pretty sexy with Liverpool providing you can get some decent wingers in.

If you are strugling with Liverpool have a look at your team. You really want a great creative midfeilder (Van Dr Vart would be great) and a explosive striker to partner Torres (Aguero?). A basic 4-4-2 would work with with Liverpool, attack from both flags and keep the passing short and direct. Gerrard and Xabi when back need to be set to allow for long shots, also set Torres as a traget man. Then set tight marking, targetman, playmaker and counter attack on.

When it comes to transfer season I would sell (depending on season performance) Xabi (40milish), Riise (12milish), Mascherano? (15-20milish) and Benayoun and Voronin. And buy Quaesma (20milish), Rosina (40milish) and Fred (12milish) (that is assuming you have Aguero).

Yeah Van der Vaart has good ratings in this. I was looking at him but they wanted more than I was willing to spend. Up front Liverpool should be ok, maybe you want to buy someone as cover but unlike in real life, Kuyt scores regularly! It can be Torres that goes on a run of games without scoring. I haven't given Voronin a chance really, but Crouch is actually pretty decent for me too... then you have Babel who I play on the left flank but who can fill in up front if needed.

Aguero is good in real life so could be worth looking into. Basically, I'd be more worried about strengthening the defense and bolstering the midfield and then Kuyt and Torres should take care of the rest!

A few seasons in with Man Utd and won everything expect for the Champions League. Furthest I been is to the Semi Final!

Heres me squad!

Sebastian Frey, Foster, Kit Kat

Lahm, Brown, Rio, Vidic, Kompany, Pique, Evans, Evra

Ronaldo, Anderson, Hargo, Bojan, Veloso, Nani, Park, Kieran Lee

Pato, Rooney, Saha, Tevez, Huntelaar

Any changes you think I should make?

A few seasons in with Man Utd and won everything expect for the Champions League. Furthest I been is to the Semi Final!

Heres me squad!

Sebastian Frey, Foster, Kit Kat

Lahm, Brown, Rio, Vidic, Kompany, Pique, Evans, Evra

Ronaldo, Anderson, Hargo, Bojan, Veloso, Nani, Park, Kieran Lee

Pato, Rooney, Saha, Tevez, Huntelaar

Any changes you think I should make?

Saha out, aguero in. and then start looking a youngsters Brazil/Arg are good especially with your link to flumense(sp?).

I'd recommend this formation for anyone who likes to play with one striker...

formationqf9.jpg

I couldnt be bothered to open the game so just knocked it together on paint quickly. I have Ashton up front in my Pompey team and he managed to get a hat full of goals in as the target man. Also Kranjar weighed in with 20 goals in one of the winger positions also having one of the centre midfielders as a playmaker pays off with Muntari making 19 goals and scoring 14 before my chairman decided to bloody accept an offer for him. I finished 4th in the end fantastic season...

Thanks for your advice everyone, really helped! Started to play better at the end of the second season, got to the final of the FA cup, Carling cup and the semi-final of the European Championship! Only got to 4th in the Premiership but that wasn't too bad, though the winners (Man U) were 25 points ahead of me :heh:

Just in September of the second season now, doing quite well! Signed Daniel Alives, Aguero and some wonderkid from Vasco who's name I can't recall. Also sold Xavi Alonso to Inter, and got 25M and Adriano which was pretty good. Only problem is I can't settle on tactics, keep changing my mind on the formations and style of play. Sticking with a 4-3-3 right now, seems to be alright but if anyone has a good suggestion it'd be nice.

• 2 weeks later...
I play a normal 4-4-2 and its working well for me, Bentley and Babel are doing great on the wings.

I could do with a decent striker to go with Torres?

get a big man tall, good at heading, good off the ball, good strength...to knock them down...Crouch would work for now...but get someone stronger...Zigic, Iaquinta...

I play a normal 4-4-2 and its working well for me, Bentley and Babel are doing great on the wings.

I could do with a decent striker to go with Torres?

Dunno is he what you're looking for, but currently I have Torres partnered up with Defoe up front, they have a great partnership :)

Got him for like 6 million, he scores a ton of goals and is DEFINITELY worth looking up.

FINALLY! won the champions league final with United after my 4th season!

I took a gamble and played 3-5-2...shocking eh?

Frey

Kompany Rio Pique

Veloso

Ronaldo Anderson Diego Nani

Rooney Tevez

FINALLY! won the champions league final with United after my 4th season!

I took a gamble and played 3-5-2...shocking eh?

Frey

Kompany Rio Pique

Veloso

Ronaldo Anderson Diego Nani

Rooney Tevez

3-5-2 barely ever works for me...cant wait to get my champs league campaign going with the mighty pompey