N-Europe

Dave Perry says some things (about Nintendo and its fanboys)

Helmsly

Two seperate interviews, first at Gameinformers:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=28951

"That's the bottom line. Do your homework. You have to allow for that. You can't assume it is going to be like the other platforms, because you are going to have Nintendo taking most of the sales. And if Nintendo really sees you as a threat, they will take the moves to wipe you out. They are not going to let you win.

Meaning, if you sell your game and you are charging USD 60 or 50, or whatever price you choose, they will sell their games at USD 39.99 and they will kick your ass. So, the bottom line is, whatever you thought your business plan was, they can shake your world at a moment's notice and they have a track record of doing that. So I would be very concerned with wanting to bet the farm on a Nintendo platform."

And then there's this one:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=28961

"500 interviews go by without a blip, but then if you mention something negative about Nintendo, it's pretty impressive the passion that stirs. Do I take my comments back? Hell no. I'm in no way a Nintendo hater. I have a Wii, I bought it the second it came out, I play it often. I've got all their machines and tons of games. There's just many issues with the Wii, and the fans just don't want to hear it. I personally admire how well the Wii has done. I just find it interesting to see how people turn a blind eye to its flaws.

Games are all about accuracy. If you request something it better happen. The Wii controller adds some slop to the system, and that in turn goes against the golden rule that controls should be tight and perfect, something that Nintendo has lived off for years. I'm surprised how unimportant these things seem to be to people, that a slight inaccuracy is acceptable."

his first point happens with literally everything... i mean tesco charge things cheaper to wipe out smaller stores.... and anyway i have never seen nintendo do this... even in the older days nintendo tended to charge even more.

his second point is even more annoying.. this is one of those guys afriad of change.. If it was up to him we'd still be using atari joypads... If motion sensing is a slop then why does the ps3 use it badly and if he thinks microsoft won't try to soon then he's sadly mistaking.

It really depends from game to game, but hey... if you want to "revolutionize" (though, I prefer to look at it as an evolution) how games are played, that takes time. Lots of trial and error, and Nintendo being who they are, I'd say the first step is hella successful.

He does however raise a point, that of the blind Nintendo aficionado. Which is the negative way to look at it. I always felt that gamers who grew up with Nintendo simply have a much stronger bond with their consoles. The passion that cultivates in your heart through generations of playing with Link, Mario and the rest.

It's very hard to objectively judge something/someone that you love.

I'm not defending blindness, but I'm not "casting a stone" at it.

Oh noes Nintendo make less expensive games! Those bastards! How dare they set a standart for other publishers to lower the prices, benefict the consumer and increase sales!

Ooh and there are only Nintendo fanboys, I mean, I don't see anyone blindly defending 360, PS3 or Halo. Nope.

He's right about controller innacuracies but that only applies to 3rd parties, I never played a 1st party Wii Nintendo game with bad controls

Oh noes Nintendo make less expensive games! Those bastards! How dare they set a standart for other publishers to lower the prices, benefict the consumer and increase sales!

Ooh and there are only Nintendo fanboys, I mean, I don't see anyone blindly defending 360, PS3 or Halo. Nope.

He's right about controller innacuracies but that only applies to 3rd parties, I never played a 1st party Wii Nintendo game with bad controls

I heard mario party was shite for controls.

it's true though nintendo themselves have yet to get it wrong.

`Is he trying to victimize Nintendo for making good games, being a very competitive developer and publishers, while pushing the standards of quality on their system higher? :/

As for the sloppy controls, I've always been quick to criticize them or whatever, but for the most part I've found their fine, and those that arn't are third party games.

What does Dave Perry even do nowadays?

Dave Perry latest projects were 'Enter the Matrix' and 'Path of Neo', surely guidebooks on intuitive and enjoyable controls. :indeed:

He had a full three games planned after that, including a PSP-remake of Earthworm Jim (Perry's only bright star IMO), and they were all three canned. Now he's in directing (mostly MMO and MMORPG) and acts as a consultant for the upcoming Simpsons-game.

Not exactly a reference on the finer points of gaming, methinks.

He's surely talking about a Nintendo business model from 15 years ago!! Most games prices are the same nowadays, but I certainly remember Perry complaining about having to charge huge prices for Earthworm Jim carts (compared to the relatively cheaper Nintendo published games) many years ago. He made a fair point then, that it was almost impossible to compete on the same grounds as Nintendo 15 years ago, but this arguement simply doesn't stand up today. Nintendo's current business model is surely just as fair as the Microsoft and Sony equivalents, unless someone wants to enlighten me here.

As for the "slop" in the Wii controller, it all depends on which games you play, but for the most part I have to say the controller has got no "slop" at all. I for one couldn't go back to the GC version of Resi 4 for example with it's anaolgue control sticks. There's too many gaps in the control mechanism for me now, and it lurches around compared to the beautiful, tight controls in the Wii version. Ditto stuff like Excite Truck and Wii Sports, and no doubt Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy will underline these examples too. The controller has delivered in my opinion. We can't still be doubting that now surely? He really can't be playing it properly.

It all sounds very bitter doesn't it? What's Dave actually up to these days? I used to love Earthworm Jim.

Well, slop on the Wii remote I can understand, I think he was referring to general interface of the controller. I think we have all experienced some wii remote 'dodginess' that you will never get while using a controller. But still, its irrelevant

I for one couldn't go back to the GC version of Resi 4 for example with it's anaolgue control sticks. There's too many gaps in the control mechanism for me now, and it lurches around compared to the beautiful, tight controls in the Wii version.

Hmm, but what about Wii twilight Princess and GC Twilight Princess? Is the Zelda experience really perfected with the Wii remote?

Hmm, but what about Wii twilight Princess and GC Twilight Princess? Is the Zelda experience really perfected with the Wii remote?

I can't say since I don't have Zelda yet (the missus is getting it for me for Christmas), but it would be an unfair comment anyway as TP was developed with the GC in mind, and was ported over to the Wii for it's launch. It would be perhaps a bit unreasonable to expect a ground breaking revelation in Wii motion sensing from a title that was developed with another system in mind first and foremost.

I can't honestly say I've experienced any Wii remote "dodginess" as you say. I can name games where it's use is wholly pointless and gimmicky, but I try to only but the games where the Wii controls are a properly considered impementation. To that end my experiences of it have been positive, and for the most part more accurate than a regular analogue pad. It might be this accuracy that frightens some gamers off I reckon.

The guy owns a Wii, hes entitled to his opinion about it. He's also in a better position to comment on Nintendo's business tactics considering hes done business with them.

Im not sure about his claim of Nintendo lowering game prices though. I mean Eternal Darkness still goes for $49 at my local Wal-Mart.

Nintendo notoriously does not like to drop prices on either hardware or software until its absolutely necessary.

Wii twlight princess controls are fantastic - way better than a traditional pad! Its not one to one movement but swinging your arm to strike a sword - however much it is, in essence, pressing a button - it is still WAY more emmersive then simply pressing that button it replicates!! And of course the IR aiming is amazing!!

I think his first comment is nonsense, so Nintendo are a business and they want to sell more games than everyone else, so what? If they want to pursue an aggressive sales strategy so be it!

As for the second point is valid, but the attacks should be levelled at other developers who are not bothering to master the system. RE4, Metroid Prime and others have nailed it. Slag lazy developers for not getting to grip with the hardware, not Nintendo for coming up with something new.

Isnt Mario Party from Hudson or something?

But seriously, this guy's just an attention whore.

When was the last time he made a good game? Wasn't it MDK on the PSOne? Or Earthworm Jim on the SNES?

Wasn't this the guy behind the wonderful Enter the Matrix? He seems like a spent forec to me who likes to talk it up.