Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii For Wheelchair Users

ukballer

As you probably guessed from the title I am a wheelchair user. Just recently I have wanted to get a Wii, but I have my doubts about whether I would be able to use it or not. Obviously being in a wheelchair limits my mobility, but I have long arms and have no problems using them. Would being in a wheelchair make it difficult for me to use a Wii or do you think it wouldn't be a problem considering I have no mobility issues using my arms? Obviously I can't jump around and stuff, but on videos I've seen of people using the Wii, virtually all the games only require arm movements, which would be ok with me. I don't want to splash out on something I will find hard to use, so if you could give me any ideas/advice that would be great. Thank you! : peace:

I think you would be fine with most games except Wii Fit and any dancemat games. Wii Sports, which comes with the console, should be problem free. :) Also remember that not all games require massive motion gestures. There's the Virtual Console, games like Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy, etc.

Obviously I can't jump around and stuff, but on videos I've seen of people using the Wii, virtually all the games only require arm movements, which would be ok with me. I don't want to splash out on something I will find hard to use, so if you could give me any ideas/advice that would be great. Thank you! : peace:

I don't know how much you know about the Wii, but speaking for myself, very little movement is required in its day to day usage. Games like Wii Sports are a tiny fraction of my Wii-life.

You might find yourself spending just as much time (or maybe more)

a) playing retro games on the virtual console - which requires use of the controller in a 'regular' sense i.e. with no motion sensing at all.

b) browsing the various Wii Channels, such as the News Channel, Everybody Votes Channel, Photo Channel etc, which simply require you to point at the screen and click, similar to a mouse on a PC.

Yeah, I mean my knowledge of the Wii isn't too great right now, but getting there. I've always been a Sony guy, but have moved on to better things :yay: . I guess I assumed all the games required the physical movements. But from reading your posts it seems it will be fine. Except the dancing games XD. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Well, I busted my knee yesterday, so I've been testing out the whole "constantly sitting down while playing Wii" thing. I can say that it works, although the control on some Wii Sports games is strange, mostly because I'm not used to it. For example, in Tennis I put a fair amount of effort into my swings, probably more than needed. While sitting down limits me (can't use my hips etc) it does still work, I'm just not very good at it. A bit of practise saw improvement, so I imagine that if you start off sitting down it's easier.

As for Wii Fit, just but the balance board on your lap and press down with your hands. The weight bit will be inaccurate, but the balancing mini games should still work? Well, only time will tell.

And I'd just like to say that I play like the do on the adverts. Well, I stand up... don't do all the jumping around or nothing.

Well, I busted my knee yesterday, so I've been testing out the whole "constantly sitting down while playing Wii" thing. I can say that it works, although the control on some Wii Sports games is strange, mostly because I'm not used to it. For example, in Tennis I put a fair amount of effort into my swings, probably more than needed. While sitting down limits me (can't use my hips etc) it does still work, I'm just not very good at it. A bit of practise saw improvement, so I imagine that if you start off sitting down it's easier.

As for Wii Fit, just but the balance board on your lap and press down with your hands. The weight bit will be inaccurate, but the balancing mini games should still work? Well, only time will tell.

And I'd just like to say that I play like the do on the adverts. Well, I stand up... don't do all the jumping around or nothing.

Ok thanks. I mean like I said I didn't know a great deal about the Wii so didn't actually know if the games required jumping or not. I'll probably give the Wii Fit game a miss though :heh: