NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Halo 3 is awsum

Team Hammers? is that a custom game or is it in a playlist?

It was on the Social Doubles playlist when I was on it. It's one heck of a lot of fun!

And I also love taking pictures of killing stuff!

143490fullmc3.jpg

So is Halo 3 online any different to any other online FPS or will I need to learn some new stuff before I jump in tommorow?

This game is just awesome... tonight was one of the best so far, the ammount of crazy stuff that was going down was unbelivable.

If you own a 360 and dont own this game you should be banned from Live untill you have it

LMAO!

I was driving one of those!

and just look at the poor guy who got squashed between them in the last pic!

Seriously guys, if i'm playing the fucking campaign don't bother me by flooding invites, its seriously fucking annoying.

Sorry man. We just see people playing Halo and you just press X over them don't you.

Epic games tonight. I'm gonna be getting some pictures tommorow of the games, might even now.

Awesome, uploading some images now. Also done a video, watch me kill 6 people in a row :) with an energy sword.

NewYorks Times: Bad Mouthing Halo 3!

For those who have played Halo and Halo 2, the wildly popular shooter games, I can review Halo 3 in one sentence.

Halo 3 is Halo 2 with somewhat better graphics.

That’s all you really need to know. If you loved Halo 2, you will feel just the same about Halo 3. If you played Halo 2 and couldn’t figure out what all the fuss was about, Halo 3 is not the revelatory experience that will change your view of the series forever.

So you could simply search through old issues of The New York Times for my review of Halo 2 and learn almost everything you need to know about the game, but rather than put you to that trouble, allow me to share with you my experience.

If you have never played any version of Halo, expect to have precious little idea of what is going on as Halo 3 begins. The game makes almost no effort to explain that humanity is battling a war against two enemies. One, the Flood, is a mindless, voracious collection of creepy crawlies that will attack anything that moves. The other evil is the Covenant, an order of alien religious zealots eager to set off an ancient device intended to wipe out the Flood and all other life in the universe. Halo 3 is the final game in the Halo trilogy that has followed protagonist Master Chief’s valiant efforts to save us all.

Put more simply, the story of Halo 3 is the same as that of Halo 2 and the original Halo: a lot of things get in your way and you kill them.

That doesn’t seem to have hurt sales. Microsoft said yesterday that its Halo 3 had $170 million in sales on its first day, easily surpassing its predecessor, Halo 2 in 2004, which racked up $125 million in the first day.

The game’s pleasures lie in the things you kill and how you do it. Enemies are engagingly varied, ranging from small, easily frightened creatures that will shriek and run away if things start going badly, to monstrous walking tanks. Weapons include shotguns, sniper rifles, flame throwers and a giant sledgehammer that slices most monsters in half with a single blow if you can just get close enough.

Action is fast and furious, with enemies coming from all directions. The game is a ballistic blur as you gun down aliens, tossing away an empty sniper rifle to scoop up a pistol or, if you’re lucky, a missile launcher.

You are accompanied by the Arbiter, an alien who switched sides. (The character formed a central part of Halo 2’s story but now seems rather extraneous.) If you play in Halo 3’s excellent co-op mode, in which multiple gamers play the single-player campaign as a team, the Arbiter is player-controlled.

Often the two of you are joined by space marines, tough soldiers who are effective partners. Their side comments during battles can be quite entertaining, as when a soldier marks the death of a particularly savage monster by saying, “That guy was really freaking me out; I’m glad he’s dead.” At times foot soldiering gives way to battles in tanks, hovercrafts or armed vehicles. I quite enjoyed driving over to an enemy anti-aircraft tank, jumping out, climbing up its side with a grenade and jumping off just as the tank exploded.

The Halo games have always had a great sense of scale, and some of the most notable visual moments are those in which dozens of monsters are running and firing over vast, picturesque landscapes. The last sequence is an especially striking example of vast vistas, big explosions and lots of enemies. Still, the game never achieves the visual heights of top Xbox 360 games like BioShock and Gears of War.

For all its grand panoramas and its galaxywide narrative, Halo 3’s plot feels like a bit of a throwaway, a rather short adventure with a predictable story and dialogue that is sometimes as hokey as something from an old John Wayne war movie. And despite adding special equipment like blinding flares and portable shields, the game is simply a tweaked version of the previous chapter. Halo 3’s game play is too firmly rooted in the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” school of design.

But then, single-player missions are not what has kept the Halo series at the top of the heap for all these years. What keeps fans playing the games obsessively, day after day, week after week, year after year, is online multiplayer games.

Halo 3 can be fantastically exciting when you play against other gamers in well-designed multiplayer scenarios stocked with exotic weapons and riddled with passageways that result in an unseen player sneaking up to shoot you in the back just as you toss a grenade at your own quarry.

Halo 3’s multiplayer abilities make a far more persuasive argument for purchase than its single-player campaign. Fans will have a whole new set of scenes to engage in frenetic battles, jumping in and out of tanks, leaping from a precipice to rain down fire from above or grabbing special items that offer temporary bonuses like near invisibility. Even the special equipment, which feels somewhat tacked on in the single-player game, proves incredibly useful in multiplayer mode. Those flash bombs can really turn a battle around.

I have always been more a fan of single-player games than multiplayer games, so when I say I found Halo 3’s multiplayer more exciting than its single player, it is both a tribute to the beautifully designed multiplayer experience and a critique of the fun, but somewhat forgettable, single-player game.

It is difficult to say that one likes, but does not love, a Halo game. Halo fans are so worshipful of the series that anything short of drooling admiration is seen as something akin to blasphemy. One is expected to love Halo games the way one is expected to love Harry Potter, “American Idol,” Tom Hanks, the Beatles and chocolate (some of which I love, some of which I don’t).

Yet, while Halo 3 is a slickly produced, exciting, well-made shooter, I wouldn’t class it as one of those creations that rival the importance of bendable straws or casual Fridays. And saying that could well result in a few angry letters.

It doesn’t really matter what reviewers say, though. Halo 3 is not just a game: it is a phenomenon fueled by obsessed fans, slick advertising and excessive press coverage (of which I find myself a part).

But even though the hoopla Microsoft has generated around this game is, in a way, a greater achievement than the game itself, it cannot be denied that there are people who will take greater pleasure in this game than in any other entertainment this year.

And what will make them happy, what will make their days joyful and give them long, crazed nights of ecstatic bliss, what will make the purchase of Halo 3 the best thing they could possible do with their money, is this one thrilling fact: Halo 3 is Halo 2 with somewhat better graphics!

Funny...I hated Halo 2 but I thought Halo 3 had a pretty awesome campaign!

607110-Full.jpg

6 kill streak with the sword.

605070-Full.jpg

I love that pose he makes after killing with the sword.

607163-Full.jpg

Just because of the colours and what they meant, and the fact they were all flying.

It was awesome, bar a few crappy game type ;[

How the hell did i miss that 2nd shot of the elephant when i was going through the videos? I followed them the whole time they were in each other.

God that was funny.

Funny...I hated Halo 2 but I thought Halo 3 had a pretty awesome campaign!

I hope that will be true for me as well.. was bored by the campaign in Halo 2.. im probably picking this game up after work today..

and boy.. tried som cod4 yesterday.. took some time finding a game.. thanks to Halo

Played some games online yesterday, maybe just allot of new players on, but I'm finding it so easy! :heh:

Won nearly all my games, top on every list, I need to find some good competition : peace:

Me and Dom played through the first 2 levels of the metagame, lots of fun and acheivements are always good.

Thanks to HoT for the tips ;)

I had one of the luckiest games this morning managing to get 4 achievements in one match, Triple Kill, Triple Kill with a Sword, Kill 10 people without being killed and stick 5 people with grenades. Me being an achievy whore this made me very happy.

I also managed to get the car jacking achievment this morning aswell. I was on Snowbound and jumped on the Ghost I drove it into the near by tunnel sloping down and let someone steal it from me. The place was so tight he couldnt get out into before I jumped back on it :)

Thanks to HoT for the tips ;)

Cheers, thought you were going to be an ignorant SOB :)

I thought sending you the info was the least I could do seeing as I did them with Caris and you wanted to do them aswell. I knew you played alot with Dom ( not in that sense...unless ) so I figured you could do them with him.

Sorry for the invite spam last night guys. It's just a lot easier to invite everyone than to check to see what every single player is doing

Was pretty awesome, even if some of the game types were crap. That Ninjanaught game was mental lol, reminded me of Predator

Completed normal today. A truly amazing game, the last 3 or so levels were amazing. The last one being my favourite. I accidently pressed A on the credits, off to youtube to see the final ending.

last level was proper funny though.

Your sticky to Caris was classic.

Big thanks to Skunky, McRoxas, Daft and Chrizkerr2 for helping me and Caris finish the fight on Legendary. A big middle finger to that craker who started a level and then quit 10mins into it!

shite ending for legendary that was. last level was proper funny though.

I'm gonna get some pics of that :hehe:, Co-op makes this game so much more awesome.

Just completed the campaign first time round. Man i hate the Flood!

Now to try the whole thing on Legendary (co-op)

Pics: (From the final level so look away now if you don't want to see)

lol.jpg

oops.jpg

prick.jpg

boom.jpg

weee.jpg

ohyeah.jpg