N-Europe

The Sports Thread

Mr-Paul

(bump!)

Who let this thread die then?

With the recent bouts of darts and snooker and now the Australian Open (tennis) I feel its time to get back on track with this thread for 2008.

Last night Selby won the Masters, defeating Stephen Lee in the final. I've been reluctant to like Selby (I hate all the new people that spring up in snooker, why can't they leave it to the oldies?) but with this win, I think its time to give in and accept him for the talent he is. Theres something weird about his appearance though- his eyes are always glazed over or something.

Anyway, onwards to tennis. Since the Australian Open is in Melbourne, it takes place during the night for us and I hadn't been taking too much notice of it last week until Saturday. Unlike Wimbledon, they play some matches at night as well as during the day which means the night matches are televised here in the not so small hours of our mornings. So on Saturday, there was an absolutely epic one between Federer and Tipsarevic (who looks a bit like the footballer, Gattuso- or is it just me?) with Roger finally coming through 10-8 in the fifth set. Its not very often we see the world number one pushed to such lengths and afterwards he acknowledged that it was a great match to be part of especially because he doesn't get the opportunity to be pushed so hard.

That match ended late enough, local time, but then afterwards... it was followed by another five setter between Hewitt and Bagdahtis that didn't conclude until 04:30 in Melbourne and 17:30 here on Saturday afternoon. Unbelievable stuff and maybe it will make them rethink their scheduling of night matches in the future! :blank:

Coincidentally, Hewitt has since been beaten by Djokovic and Federer "eased" through his next match in three straight sets, although it was a tough one.

_44369014_rog_getty_270.jpg

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read about that Federer game, sounded like an excellent match, shame I couldn't watch it. That's the problem with the Aussie Open, how the matches are in the middle of the night!

What channel is it being televised on btw? Sky or Eurosport??

Eurosport with Annabelle Croft and the gang. I noticed there is something on BBC on the red button but I haven't checked it out to see what they are up to with that. Likely not much as Murray fell at the first hurdle, haha. :laughing:

Aah coolio, will have to check it out, havent watched any tennis for a while. Final is this Sunday yes?

Mens Quarter-final

Federer v Blake

Djokovic v Ferrer

Tsonga v Youzhny

Nieminen v Nadal

I'm hoping for a Federer v Youzhny final. Djokovic will want to give Federer a scare though and try and stamp his authority early in the year as he tries to move it up and get properly in the running to become world number one. Nadal, I just can't stand him.

Womens Quarter-final

Henin v Sharapova

Jankovic v S Williams

V Williams v Ivanovic

Hantuchova v Radwanska

I'm not really too worried with what happens in the womens side. A Serena v Venus final, why not.

Also mr-paulie, you can watch some stuff on bbc.co.uk, and there are also highlights on youtube if you need. And yep, the finals will be this weekend.

I read about that Federer game, sounded like an excellent match, shame I couldn't watch it. That's the problem with the Aussie Open, how the matches are in the middle of the night!

What channel is it being televised on btw? Sky or Eurosport??

BBCi show live matches from 8am until whenever they finish and then show a repeat of what they think was the best game of the day for the rest of the day.

I keep on meaning to get up to watch it, but I always forget. The only game I've seen was Federer's first match where he completely destroyed his opponent.

Talking of sport, does anyone know of any London-based athletics clubs that run on the weekend? Can't seem to find any :(...

King V, i can't help you with your request, not living in the London area, but just out of interest, what event do you do?

Womens Quarter-final

Henin v Sharapova

Jankovic v S Williams

V Williams v Ivanovic

Hantuchova v Radwanska

I'm not really too worried with what happens in the womens side. A Serena v Venus final, why not.

Also mr-paulie, you can watch some stuff on bbc.co.uk, and there are also highlights on youtube if you need. And yep, the finals will be this weekend.

I would love a Serena - Venus final, it would show they're both finally back to what they used to be like.

As for the men's I really don't care as long as Nadal doesn't win. I like watching Federer just because he's so good, I don't mind if he doesn't win overall though. Can't believe Murray went out in the first round! I still prefer Henman to Murray though, he was so much more professional and more exciting to watch. There aren't enough serve and volleyers anymore.

King V, i can't help you with your request, not living in the London area, but just out of interest, what event do you do?

I am a Taekwondo competition fighter first and foremost. But I am a fast runner and want to improve upon it, right now I run about 10.5 seconds in 100m. I'm only interested in the 100m-200m dash.

Are you a sporting person?

I am a Taekwondo competition fighter first and foremost. But I am a fast runner and want to improve upon it, right now I run about 10.5 seconds in 100m. I'm only interested in the 100m-200m dash.

Are you a sporting person?

Whoah that's a very good time.

I run middle distance mainly, 800 and 1500m, occasionally 3000m. But during the winter I do cross country as training for the summer. It's pretty tough, I have to run 9km in XC in my age group, but it really keeps you fit through the winter and gets endurance into your legs for the summer events.

Ivanovic vs Sharapova final ftw.

Also, anyone watch the snooker final last night? Selby absolutely destroyed hamster boy, it was brilliant.

Well India beating the Aussies has definately been the highlight of my sporting week. They were absolutely fantastic and here's hoping that India win the final game so it finishes as 2-2.

The snooker last week was just amazing; Selby showing great form and as a fan of his i'm happy to see him finally win a title. When Ronnie got a 147 in the final frame to beat him in the last tournie..well, i wanted to break the tv. Fantastic player and i hope he can continue to climb up the rankings.

Ivanovic vs Sharapova final ftw.

Also, anyone watch the snooker final last night? Selby absolutely destroyed hamster boy, it was brilliant.

Yeah I follow the snooker. I wouldn't have picked Selby to win it before the tournament started, but he played well and beat some good players- and I was definitely backing him in the final!

As for your pick for the tennis, thats what I hate about the womens game- its a glamour contest.

The Roddick Kohlschreiber match was fantastic as well. I think Tsonga has an outside chance of making the final, the last two years it's been surprise finalists, why not again this year? Djokovic hasn't been too impressive really.

I hope Ivanovic reaches the final, and wins it against either Henin or Serena. Also Hantuchova to make the semis.

Whoah that's a very good time.

I run middle distance mainly, 800 and 1500m, occasionally 3000m. But during the winter I do cross country as training for the summer. It's pretty tough, I have to run 9km in XC in my age group, but it really keeps you fit through the winter and gets endurance into your legs for the summer events.

Ahhh, thats nice. How old are you? You never know, 2012 is just around the corner so keep it up. I might try some long distance as I am finding it easy to stay on the treadmill for 40 mins, with a final speed of about 10 mph.

Ahhh, thats nice. How old are you? You never know, 2012 is just around the corner so keep it up. I might try some long distance as I am finding it easy to stay on the treadmill for 40 mins, with a final speed of about 10 mph.

I'm 17, so I've just gone up to the U20 age category. I'm basically running against full grown men, many who are over 6 foot tall and have MASSIVE legs. It is very hard seeing i'm only 5"6, they can go so much faster than me atm, i havent fully grown yet! Still, I will keep on going!

2012 is still a dream...

I'd quite like to do a marathon in a couple of years time. Requires an awful lot of training, but i'd like to do it for a charity so would be for a good cause.

I'm 17, so I've just gone up to the U20 age category. I'm basically running against full grown men, many who are over 6 foot tall and have MASSIVE legs. It is very hard seeing i'm only 5"6, they can go so much faster than me atm, i havent fully grown yet! Still, I will keep on going!

2012 is still a dream...

I'd quite like to do a marathon in a couple of years time. Requires an awful lot of training, but i'd like to do it for a charity so would be for a good cause.

Thats great stuff. The fact that you're running with grown men, wether you lose or not, means you're gaining vital experience...Think of it as experience points in a FF game; they'll help you to level up. :P Just keep on doing it...It will come. (its almost sexual lol).

• 2 weeks later...

RBS 6 Nations IS BACK!!!

Fixtures:

2 Feb 14:00 Ireland vs Italy Croke Park, Dublin

2 Feb 16:30 England vs Wales Twickenham, London

3 Feb 15:00 Scotland vs France Murrayfield, Edinburgh

9 Feb 14:00 Wales vs Scotland Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

9 Feb 17:00 France vs Ireland Stade de France, Paris

10 Feb 15:30 Italy vs England Stadio Flaminio, Rome

23 Feb 15:00 Wales vs Italy Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

23 Feb 17:00 Ireland vs Scotland Croke Park, Dublin

23 Feb 21:00 France vs England Stade de France, Paris

8 Mar 13:15 Ireland vs Wales Croke Park, Dublin

8 Mar 15:15 Scotland vs England Murrayfield, Edinburgh

9 Mar 16:00 France vs Italy Stade de France, Paris

15 Mar 14:00 Italy vs Scotland Stadio Flaminio, Rome

15 Mar 15:00 England vs Ireland Twickenham, London

15 Mar 17:00 Wales vs France Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

First game is over already Ireland beat Italy 16-11 in a very unconvincing performance. Memories of the nightmare that was the World Cup haunted the Irish team today. Eddie O'Sullivan is under huge pressure here, but still refuses to do anything about his starting line-up. I nearly fell over when he brough on substitutes at the 60 minute mark! He must have been reading the papers this week!

England currently playing Wales and leading them 9-3.

Well Wales tured around an awful first half performance to beat England at Twickenham for the first time in 20 years by 19-26!

Go on the Wales!!!!!!