Mushroom Men: The Spore War

Retro_Link

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From GoNintendo

Mushroom Men, both for Wii and DS, are just around the corner in North America. All the videos, art, and walkthroughs we’ve been seeing have only gotten me more pumped for the title. I am sure it’s doing the same for European Wii/DS owners. I just hope you won’t mind waiting a bit longer for the games.

Rumor has it that both titles have been delayed in Europe, and won’t hit until February. This news is said to come from a European press release. I am trying to hunt down the release as we speak. Unfortunately, I don’t find a Euro delay hard to believe.

Im hoping this isnt true as I was looking forward to playing it.

Yeah Dazkarieh's questions off the top of my head, plus: Were you on shrooms when coming up with the idea? What's your favorite Primus cd?

Also, and I don't really think I need to be telling N-E staff this, but be sure to let them know they made the year worthwhile for a lot of originality-seekers like myself. Or are bound to make the year worthwhile. I hope.

This game has indeed been delayed. My sister works for a games PR company that work in the offices above Gamecock - they've all been made redundant. Apparently the company was subject to a hostile takeover (CEO lost alot of money in the current econonomic crisis) by a company I can't remember and thus is the reason for the delay. Tis a shame.

Got to play it at the Eurogamer Expo though. Althought I only had a brief playthrough, I was pleasantly suprised.

Did you get enough time with it to be able to give us some impressions? I've read elsewhere that apparently it has a bit of an iffy camera and that it uses a targeting system which is hard to immediately get to grips with...?

I read this months ONM and they said the camera was what spoilt the game, everything else seemed great.

Did you get enough time with it to be able to give us some impressions? I've read elsewhere that apparently it has a bit of an iffy camera and that it uses a targeting system which is hard to immediately get to grips with...?

Only played for a few minutes to get a taste of it. I couldn't work out how to change the camera angle for a while, actually. I just assumed it would be assigned to the C button, but I think you had to use the D-pad to alter the camera angle (so I was blindly staring at the floor for a while). I just really enjoyed the art style and the humour of the game. There also seemed to be alot weapons that could be unlocked - you use materials you find to power them.

Problem was, people kept leaving the demo stations halfway through a level, so I didn't really have a clue about the controls or objectives. Definitley has a charm about it though.

Cool. :)

Surely if you can manually control the camera then that would alleviate any potential problems with the camera system. Dunno though, if NOM are nitpicking with it then it must be dodgy. :hmm:

A bit fiddly having to run your finger up the wii remote, off the action button. I might be talking rubbish though (I think that's how camera control worked!). I enjoyed the organic feel to the world and all the weapons; as a theme I think it's quite endearing.

• 1 month later...
Jah, the lack of rave reviews is no surprise to me. Am sure to buy this though.

Yeah, I'm just glad the reviews aren't totally rubbishing the game as that would have been off putting. Platformers are a rarity nowadays so I still reckon I too will give Mushroom Men a go when its released over here. :)

Nice one, thanks for those. : peace:

• 1 month later...

Another review, from NGamer this time. It basically follows up on what other reviews have said - it's by no means rubbish, there's potential for good sequels, it just isn't amazingly good (still good, though).

Spore Wars isn't quite the game we were hoping for but there is potential here for a future franchise if the uninspired level design is given a few tweaks.

73%

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!