NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ray Falling

Should you be open on the internet?

A question I been asking myself alot for the past 7 months...

I myself have been through alot in life that made me the person I used to be. A person not being able to be open towards people. Just being shut all the time hardly talking at all.

Then when I first got to the internet, I felt like I got this whole fresh new start. I could finally be myself and I really like being open about stuff.

Being on deviantart for half a year now really changed my life in alot of ways. And thats all because I was so open all the time. If I had a problem I wasn't afraid to talk about it, and if I had an opinion on something I wasn't afraid to express this.

Alot of people respond really well to this, I'd say most of my friends do.

I like being open so much cause why would you hide anything? I mean, sure there are some things I'd rather not put on the internet. But the way i see it, the truth will always be the truth, so it doesnt matter...why should you not be open about it?

But then there are also people who get freaked out by people who are open. They think it's even weird to reveal your real name or age on the net.

Which i think is weird cause...it makes me feel like they want to be here to meet people, but really they don't want people to get close...

As if we are all light years away from eachother and are afraid, but at the same time fascinated by eachother.

We want to communicate and share stuff, but we never want to get close. Are we not all humans in the end? I mean...to me thats like wanting to eat something but not willing to chew it first 0_0

I got comments to my online journals a couple of times, saying it's too open, people sometime seven run away from that.

So I ask you, why? What is so scary? What is it about being open that is so frightening, that people would rather run away?

What kind of world are we living in, if someone offers their friendship on the net and people get scared by that?

"Ow, they must be after something else if they want to be my friend..."

Honestly, why is it so hard to understand that there are still people who really care. I met so many fantastic people online, and I love each and every one of my friends I met online whom I talk to almost everyday and have been for the past 6 months.

We talk, we laugh, we cry, we help eachother with our problems etc etc, we're being real friends here, true friends. Any of these people are as good, if not better than people around me back home.

Why is that so weird huh?

What are your thoughts on this? Should you be open on the net or should you just pretend to be something yer not and just hide from people behind yer silly nickname, never letting any one come close, never opning up to someone's friendship.

I realize that most users here are quite young and I guess yer parents brainwashed you by saying "be carefull, these people are all weird stalkers"

But I'd liek to hear your opinon on this anyway.

Thanks! take care!

--Ray

It's the internet. Millions of users use it ever day. I think its pretty arrogant to believe that giving out your real name will immediately give you global attention and thousands of stalkers. I've made it by fine.

Also, you can get away with anything on the internet. What are they going to do, threaten you with talks of butt raping? Even if they do actually carry them though, they'll probably only make it 10 metres before running out of breath.

Get it guys? Everyone who uses the internet is fat, ugly and unhealthy!

I can be pretty open on the internet, moreso then real life, mainly due ti the fact there's no human contact (looking into eachothers eyes, touching, the usual territory rules and body language etc). For some reason, the media and parents descibe the internet as a meeting place for world's most dangerous peadophiles and criminals, while all the people I've met so far were pretty honest.

I can be pretty open on the internet, moreso then real life, mainly due ti the fact there's no human contact (looking into eachothers eyes, touching, the usual territory rules and body language etc). For some reason, the media and parents descibe the internet as a meeting place for world's most dangerous peadophiles and criminals, while all the people I've met so far were pretty honest.

Exactly! Tho yes, it brings risks, it also has alot of advantages, but these people are just as good as anyone else in "real life"

I'm pretty open, no one would come hurrass me or something. For two reasons. One i'm over 16 so i'm not paedo prey. Two, i'm just not good looking anyway.

I have some fantastic friends from the old forum. One being Athriller who i've met and he's awesome as hell! I love the guy! The point is, unless you're some idiot who goes on AOL chat rooms going: "ZOMFG ASL?! KTHXBAI U WNT 2 CYBAR?!?!!??" you aren't going to get ass raped. The media blows paedophiles out of proportion, just like everything.

One being Athriller who i've met on one occasion and he's awesome as hell!.

It's not true, I only use him for his body. :(

It's not true, I only use him for his body. :(

YOU SAID YOU LOVED ME! :'( :'(

I wouldn't say I was particularly open, but, at the risk of sounding egotistical, I am honest; the two aren't diametrically opposed. For me, this balance works.

If someone wants to go skinny dipping amidst this sea of information then that's fair enough, but they shouldn't expect everyone else to bear all in a public place.

I'm pretty open, no one would come hurrass me or something. For two reasons. One i'm over 16 so i'm not paedo prey. Two, i'm just not good looking anyway.

I have some fantastic friends from the old forum. One being Athriller who i've met and he's awesome as hell! I love the guy! The point is, unless you're some idiot who goes on AOL chat rooms going: "ZOMFG ASL?! KTHXBAI U WNT 2 CYBAR?!?!!??" you aren't going to get ass raped. The media blows paedophiles out of proportion, just like everything.

Thats a very good point yes. And I do believe the right people will meet other right people...just some sort of...attraction I guess, only based on personality.

Personality owns n_n, (unless osmeone has a bad personality whahaha)

Thanks for sharing your view

--Ray

EDIT

I wouldn't say I was particularly open, but, at the risk of sounding egotistical, I am honest; the two aren't diametrically opposed. For me, this balance works.

If someone wants to go skinny dipping amidst this sea of information then that's fair enough, but they shouldn't expect everyone else to bear all in a public place.

Very good point yes. n_n

Ray, try not to double post please.

Double post? Sorry, what should I do then if I want to quote someone? Can I put multiple quotes in one comment?

Sorry I don't know this wasnt allowed. My bad

--Ray

Hmmm okay well sorry again, guess I'm just used to deviantart, we reply to every comment we get..and besides, this is a discussion, so why shouldn't I reply to more comments? I mean, I dont care about post counts, its not like I'll get soem price for it before I die.

What good is it to start a discussion if I cant reply to stuff?

Thats just me maybe...

Just do

someguysexceptminebullshithere[./quote] without the .

erm, vBulletin asks me to lengthen my post so... bla lalala?

With the post count gone there's a new alternative to spam! Yay

I don't tlak about my personal stuff to much ont he net, only to one or two really close people who share with me first. God, it's good when we overcome somethinng. Like someone (who isn't on RE) were cuttin their wrists and trying to commit suicide, luckily me and another guy pulled him outta it. Although not sure it was all our doing.

I only tlka to my friensd baout really perosnal matters though.

Hell I am very open on the net, especially towards one member of these forums here.

I don't see it as a problem, they aren't going to do anything about it are they? I think I let people know who I am while on the Net.

I do feel easy about being open on th internet, i dont be as open in real life because sometimes i dont feel comfortable, I do on the internet. Its just easier. Its really hard to explain but i dont feel as uptight about talkin about stuff on the internet.

I have no problem giving out my name and stuff like that, because just like Athriller said, they say they'll buttrape you yet the promise is never kept.

So many hurt. :(

I'm more open about things on the internet than in real life towards people I know.

Sometimes if I'm really depressed about something, it's kind of good to just let it all out, even if the persons I tell things too wouldn't care much about it, but if they are kind enough to just type "aw, that's okay" or something like that instead of "lolwtf, do you think I care you worthless shit!?"

On the internet I don't feel that the hard things don't become as personall as in real life, so it's much easier to talk with text than with words.

And a lot of people know wy full name, some even have my adress, and I've met a few, but I haven't seen any weirdo stalkers around here yet.

I'm more open about things on the internet than in real life towards people I know.

Sometimes if I'm really depressed about something, it's kind of good to just let it all out, even if the persons I tell things too wouldn't care much about it, but if they are kind enough to just type "aw, that's okay" or something like that instead of "lolwtf, do you think I care you worthless shit!?"

On the internet I don't feel that the hard things don't become as personall as in real life, so it's much easier to talk with text than with words.

And a lot of people know wy full name, some even have my adress, and I've met a few, but I haven't seen any weirdo stalkers around here yet.

"Think before you act, act before you die" --Ray Falling

hate to die before you think. what do you think? don't answer that.

welcome back to reading my stuff

I am very online with some people i know, well with most people on my msn. I have been part of this community about a year now but i've not really opened up here, i've not really gotten to know anybody, dont even have any of you on my msn list, so i dont really feel comfy enough to really open up, but it doesnt stop me from voicing my opinions.

presides the odd thread about my life i dont bother with getting to peronall with my feeling on here

i be honest on my posts i dont see the point in agreeing in a post just because everyone else has...if i disagree i say so who cares if someone slates me for it :/

as for MSN getting to know people off here....well i chat to f-link and one or two other when i can presides that im not to bothered i have plenty of other peeps to chat to online and in clubs/pubs etc

Sign in to follow this