NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Metroid!

Metroid is nothing like zelda... zelda is barely side scrolling:)

Erm....that's why I said Metroid was a side scrolling Zelda....

i can see metroid and zelda being similar, in the get new items to progress sense, along with some back tracking element.

Exactly.

Erm....that's why I said Metroid was a side scrolling Zelda....

Exactly.

its just the way you said it in the first post... Ok fine i misread.

Still metroid is nothing like zelda.... Metroid is good:)

i do love the side scrolling metroids, i mean prime is amazine aswell but in side scrolling you can have an extra ellemet of speed and its a little more actioney. mind you, prime can be intense as well.

so looking forward to super metroid

you will love it. It's the greatest metroid. yes that;s right it's just that little bit better than prime IMO

I agree with mcj Metroid. For all I loved prime...Super Metroid is STILL my favourite. I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's like Ridley Scott's Alien movies. it has a perfectly crafted fear factor, sense of aloneness and immunity and sense of scale.

Genius.

So with the US getting this game on Monday... does anyone think we might get this tomorrow?

So with the US getting this game on Monday... does anyone think we might get this tomorrow?

Have we ever got a N64 and big SNES title on the same day before?

Have we ever got a N64 and big SNES title on the same day before?

I don't know. I'm guessing... no? You know, because we're European and apparently Americans need to get games earlier. Though we did get Metroid a few weeks ago, and they still don't have it...

IGN have their VC review up, if anyone fancies it:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/813/813952p1.html

I keep forgetting that Super Metroid was a "recent" game, in that it came out in 1994. I mean... thats the same year as Donkey Kong Country. And there's really no comparison between the two games.

(and yes, DKC > Super Metroid!)

is there really any person that agrees with that?:)

I love dkc but it is no way in the same league

No one in their right mind would put DKC above SM. Super Metroid is a masterpiece in every way, it's pretty much flawless and was utterly revolutionary...

DKC had nice visuals for the time and a good soundtrack. That's...pretty much it.

You guys are a bit blinded by your Metroid love! :heh:

Atleast you paid homage to the graphics and music, James McGeachie, cos Super Metroid really falls short in both. Thats what I meant when I said that its funny they both came out in the same year and yet Super Metroid (one of Nintendo's own games!) is so far behind the likes of DKC.

DKC also had great characters, a great island with great levels to get through. As well as that, it had the aspect of finishing it 101%... and lets not forget that this is only DKC 1 where Super Metroid was Metroid 3. DKC only went on to bigger and better things with adding more amazing characters, locations and adding more collectibles for fun incentives for backtracking through the levels. :heh: Metroid can't win. But I might allow you to say something absurd like Prime is around the level of DK 64 - and that would be because DK 64 was a letdown.

You guys are a bit blinded by your Metroid love! :heh:

Atleast you paid homage to the graphics and music, James McGeachie, cos Super Metroid really falls short in both. Thats what I meant when I said that its funny they both came out in the same year and yet Super Metroid (one of Nintendo's own games!) is so far behind the likes of DKC.

wow super metroid has unbelievable graphics and the music far surpasses DkC.

DKC in A linear adventure which means even super mario world surpasses it..

if it's a choice netween super mario world and super metroid for me it would be very hard but there is no doubt in my mind now between dkc and SM

DKC is linear cos of the type of game it is! But there are good reasons to go back and uncover everything. In Super Mario World, there was a lot of linearity as well - you just had to decide that you wanted to go searching for all the 96 exits and see everything. Metroid however is... dead end after dead end then you finally get something and you remember that you have to fun to the exact opposite end of the place to make use of it to progress. ¬.¬

I never thought Super Metroid's graphics were anything wonderful at all. I was drawing a comparison between it and DKC cos they came out in the same year, and that DKC is also a far far better and more fun game. :heh:

and lets not forget that this is only DKC 1 where Super Metroid was Metroid 3.

Surely you could also say that DKC is DK4?

And Metroid music > DKC music. Plus DKC's graphics have aged badly compared to Super Metroid's.

Surely you could also say that DKC is DK4?

And Metroid music > DKC music. Plus DKC's graphics have aged badly compared to Super Metroid's.

Last time I played DKC it still looked sublime... and the last time I played Super Metroid... well, lets just say its one of the very few games I've deemed necessary to sell on.

If you wanna say its Donkey Kong 4 then go for it. I was meaning of the DKC section of games, its the first. I suppose by that logic too, Super Metroid is Super Metroid 1 with it being the first one of the "Super" games, right? Maybe I should check Wikipedia.

Darksnowman i can see yuou have your heart set on dkc. but Super metroid Just rules everything. You can't beat it. Super metroid is longer than most games even now. The gameplay is timeless but dkc is rather dated. it's still a lot of fun but that's what im trying to get at with the linear thing.

Super mario world gives you a choice most of the time of where you want to go next. There is no level followed by next level without choice.

but Super metroid Just rules everything. You can't beat it. Super metroid is longer than most games even now. The gameplay is timeless

Metroid is only long cos it makes you run about from place to place before you can actually make any progress. You go on about it being the best thing ever when it really isn't, and it doesn't rule anything at all- except maybe Metroid and Metroid 2!

The gameplay is annoying cos in every other game I enjoy, the gameplay just seems normal, intuitive and second nature. In Metroid it just feels weird to move Samus and everything. Bleh.

:heh:

I am gonna take it upon myself to play Donkey Kong Country (Again :yay:) and Super Metroid (For the first time) and settle this argument once and for all :heh:

DKC is gonna be very hard to beat though.. it's just one of my favourite games ever :hehe: