• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

I started reading Ultimatum for the jokes/I want to believe.

I love the lack of reaction (well, compared to reality) that NY being flooded/thousands dying has on all involved.

Like "Nightcrawler and Beast are dead."

"Hm."

I started reading Ultimatum for the jokes/I want to believe.

I love the lack of reaction (well, compared to reality) that NY being flooded/thousands dying has on all involved.

Like "Nightcrawler and Beast are dead."

"Hm."

Because a teleporter who can travel miles in the blink of an eye is definitely going to be killed by rising water levels.

I think I'm kind of...bored/done with Ultimate Marvel. Once you get past the whole 'new origin sans continuity' set up, most of the books actually get bogged down in their own continuity which is a) besides the point and b) not as good a continuity as 616.

Ultimate Avengers was quite good, but kind of bogged down in Millar trying to push the boat with his gritty and mean characters. Everyone just came across as a douche-bag and not in a good way like in The Ultimates. Now that Red Skull is done (which was great) I won't stick around.

I guess I'm just more invested in 616 now. After reading all of The Avengers associated lines and a good chunk of the X-Men since New Avengers launched and through to Dark Reign I find it a much richer and exciting MU.

I prefer 616 as a whole but Ultimate Spider-Man has been my favourite version of that character for years now, I just hope they sort out the art in that so I can go back to enjoying it just as much as I did when Bagley drew it. Ive managed to push past my hatred of the art to read all the new stuff and the writing/story is still very good (except a certain paring which in the Ultimate universe I just dont like)

I always make a point to read more comics and always fail to do so. There are just so many different series to dig through. What other Pilgrim-esque work is out there for me to consume?

I bought the first Pilgrim book after I saw the trailer. I enjoyed it to a point but there was just something about it that didnt really click with me so im not bothering getting anymore. Im happy enough with my superhero comics anyway, thats what ive always prefered.

As for recommendations similar to Pilgrim, id say ask in the Anime and Manga thread. I think they're gonna be more similar.

I bought the first Pilgrim book after I saw the trailer. I enjoyed it to a point but there was just something about it that didnt really click with me so im not bothering getting anymore. Im happy enough with my superhero comics anyway, thats what ive always prefered.

As for recommendations similar to Pilgrim, id say ask in the Anime and Manga thread. I think they're gonna be more similar.

Yeah, it's true Pilgrim shares a fair bit in common with manga. I'm pretty well read on the manga front, I guess that's where I should be reading from here on. To be honest I find the storytelling in Pilgrim pretty confusing, but the comedy and characters more than make up for it.

Anyone in here keen on the work of Jhonen Vasquez?

Yeah, DC stuns in it's own way. Everyone feels so shiny and warm. And each character has so much more pomp and circumstance/gravitas/other word meaning stunningness.

Marvel tends to be more "edgy" with it's main heroes than DC. Willing to kill them (to a point) and genuinely shake up the status quo. DC less so, and they have an annoying tendency to do events that needlessly rewrite history (the first Crisis was justified tbf). DC just feels more "definitive" and clean, like all the edges have been sanded perfectly, then varnished, ready to be used.

For my current art project, in which I'm looking at "superheroes" and religious and spiritual imagery, I'm exclusively looking at DC. (although I used an issue of X-Men in a collage cause it was the only one I had 2 copies of, and it was in a "modern" drawing style)

DC heroes are just far more crammed with cultural association/pop culture icons/shyt.

(That said...I think deep down I'm a Marvelite. It's what I read and learned to know inside-out for years. Batman was my first love, but X-Men and Spidey were like my metaphysical-spirital comic book parents)

---

My favourite thing!

Reading Ultimates atm, screamed when Captain Britain says he went to Fettes College in Edinburgh! Hitting too close to home. One of the "rivals" of my old school (though way more "prestigious").

Fettes is really "...: though. Boarding school shite. Though technically a good school. But it does tend to produce some rather nose-in-the-air arses (to completely generalise). Or at least from my experience of the people there.

I don't think Ultimates is too 616y. Fuck you haters.

I'm reading Scott Pilgrim as we speak. On volume 4, and totally agree that its a bit confusing at times, but its a lot of fun nevertheless.

I think you should try traditional comics Scoop. Look at Invincible. Its a daunting but rewarding task to catch up with all issues. Currently on 71 and Id say it starts getting amazing from 33 and jaw dropping from 50 onwards.

Bigger reply when Im back from Yarmouth.

Ok, I was left breathless, spent and wanting more after Ultimates 1 + 2.

Just read issue 1 of 3...I'm bracing myself for shite. It's already really...odd. Where'd Black Panther come from? I thought Venom died (though I haven't read Ultimate clone saga...if he's in that?)? etc

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!