N-Europe

Blue Screen of Death and Other Problems

Ashley

A few weeks ago I got the blue screen of death and my computer reset it self and such so I cleaned it up a bit and stuff and it survived.

But yesterday it did the same. So I defragged, did a system restore to the start of June and removed new stuff and all that and its still being a bitch.

I just tried to turn it on and it froze and the bios check screen so I switched it off. Left it for a while and tried to start again but it just produces a repeated high pitched beep.

Anything I can do thats not formatting as thats a faff, although granted perhaps a necessary one soon.

I'm afraid it's worse than formating, continuous beeping at startup means Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem.

Edit: Actually sorry, what's your BIOS? Award?

How do I determine. As I say, its not all the time. In fact I have it on now downloading something and its fine. Just seems to be random. Although I did remove my external hard drive, but thats been in there for months. Unless maybe its something on there... but again I doubt it.

How would I know which problem it is (whether its power supply, system board etc)?

And I dunno what you mean by the edit bit sorry.

Might be hardware compatibly issues. Put nothing new in?

Nope. Never.

How do I determine. As I say, its not all the time. In fact I have it on now downloading something and its fine. Just seems to be random. Although I did remove my external hard drive, but thats been in there for months. Unless maybe its something on there... but again I doubt it.

How would I know which problem it is (whether its power supply, system board etc)?

And I dunno what you mean by the edit bit sorry.

Oh, I thought you couldn't pass BIOS test. But anyway I would say it's something with the hardware, and depending on your Motherboard BIOS's beeping we can have an idea of what it is, maybe memory problems or CPU overheating. Do you know what motherboard you're using?

Um no I don't to be honest. How do I go about finding out (no rush as I'm going to bed now anyway)?

Could be overheating maybe. This room does get hot and I suppose that would affect it...maybe? I dunno. But any help would be appreciated :)

Guest Jordan

Try a new PSU, if not, your motherboard may need replacing.

Its hard to tell exactly whats wrong with the beeps without actually hearing it.

Guest Jordan
And how much would a new motherboard set me back? PSU...? Power Supply Unit?

PSU = Power Supply Unit.

These can range from £20 to literally hundreds.

You'll need to crack open your case and read the wattage off the PSU (there should be a sticker.) If you can't see it remove the PSU (screws in the back of the case) and remove all the cabling. Make sure take note of what goes where if you're not very confident.

As for motherboards? Depends on your specs i'm afraid.

I would wait for the next time it happens, and check the temperature in the BIOS (just to see if they're too high), if it isn't that, try taking the RAM out and plugging it back in, as it could have some accumulated static from dust. If not, than do the expensive stuff Jordan said. :P

Manage to check the settings or whatever while it was booting up.

Current System Temp: 30 Degrees Cent.

Current CPU Tempt: 54 D.C.

That sounds high to me. Would a fan perhaps help?

Problem with opening my PC is the police weren't most gentle with it so the casing is dented out of place in...places :/

Problem with opening my PC is the police weren't most gentle with it so the casing is dented out of place in...places :/

I'm more of a software man, so this don't take this as gospal, but that sound's high to me too. Buy a case fan, bolt it on to the inside of the case, plug it in and you're away.

Also, why have the police been at it? Did you get it from an old evidence auction thing?

I'm more of a software man, so this don't take this as gospal, but that sound's high to me too. Buy a case fan, bolt it on to the inside of the case, plug it in and you're away.

Also, why have the police been at it? Did you get it from an old evidence auction thing?

It was evidence.

Aaaaaand now we see why I hate my brother :indeed:

Manage to check the settings or whatever while it was booting up.

Current System Temp: 30 Degrees Cent.

That's not that high, many CPU's run won't cause a BSOD until they reach 70C, I doubt it's the cause. What CPU is it?

Umm dunno. Jordan has told me to open up the case which I wont really be able to do until Monday because im working all the weekend and the last thing I can be arsed to do when I get home is try and sort this out.

Right. Using the program Mr Odwin suggested here are the results:

cpu1.jpg

cpu2.jpg

cpu3.jpg

cpu4.jpg

But how do I know what needs replacing? Still need to check into my PSU too.

urgh. I reboot it in safe mode like it states but it gets stuck for a while and then BSOD again. Is it a hardware issue, or could I just format it? (okay I pretty much know the answer but still...)

And managed to open it up :

AC Input: 200-240v

DC Output: 300W

And a load of other stuff. Took a pic and will upload later but my laptop doesn't have an SD card slot.