Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

My Malawian Adventure

Charlie

Part 1 of my trip to Malawi. Pics coming soon.

I left Scotland on June 10th and got back at about 10:30 last night. It was a school exchange trip, my school, Balfron High School with Robert Laws Secondary School in Embangweni which is in the Northern Region of Malawi, about 10km from the Zambian border.

------------------

After arriving in Malawi roughly 24 hours we were shipped into a mini-mini-bus. About 15 people (the owner, the driver, 3 teachers and then 10 of us) managed to get into it. 12 people in the back on 3 rows of seats, some of which didn't have a proper back or didn't line up properly with the seat next to it. The journey up to Embangweni, the village we were staying in, took just over 7 hours. The last of which was on a dirt track which was just one massive pothole with lots of mini-potholes in it.

We quickly settled into the very comfortable ( Guest House we were given a meal. We had been expecting to be eating nsima (pronounced seema), which is just water, maize and flower all mixed in together to make a putty substance which is tasteless, with either vegetables or chicken. We were pleasantly surprised to see that we were being given Spag bol and other "mzungu" (White people) food for all the time we were staying there.

chillingattheguesthouseil7.jpg

The Guest House

Very early the next morning (7am, which by Malawian standards is actually quite late, we went over to the school (Robert Laws Secondary School) to be introduced to the teachers and then the pupils at their assembly. Mr Maflueke, the biology teacher (who other teachers called a "half-caste" because his mum is white and has much lighter skin than the rest of them) gave us a tour of the school and it's grounds. The boys dorms were horrific, some people had to share beds, not everyone had a mattress and there were only 4 working showers for 200 of them. The girls dorms were much better in comparison, there was no bed-sharing and they had plenty of showers (4 for every 40 girls).

Later on that afternoon we went over to the school grounds to talk to the pupils and attempt (emphasis on attempt) to play football with them. Stuart and myself took part. To say the least, we were outclassed even more than I usually am. I decided not to play with them again as I thought I would, understandably, left on the sidelines.

39756479jr3.jpg

Playing basketball with some of the students (I'm the one in the yellow)

To be continued.....

Ah looks awesome, glad you had a good time! I have a couple of mates heading out there in September for their electives..

Really? Do you know where they're going. There were 2 English medical students from Newcastle staying at the same place as us doing there electives.