Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

wots the desire like for music etc...most frustrating thing about n900 is no decent solution to music syncing etc...its always not finding things etc...thank god for gpodder for catching podcasts. you can get the desire for 400 sim free from amazon...at very least can get 200 for n900 at mazumamobile but likely sell for more on ebay.

I would ebay the N900, as for music on the desire it has a fair music player. Video is strangely accessed through the photo area of the device. Music play back through the speaker is a bit meh. Basically you won't be combating any punk ass kids on the bus with music blaring out their ghetto blaster phones. But that being said the audio quality is good and has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack so plug in whatever you need and it will work fine. You may want to find a good sized micro SD card as I only got a 4GB from T-mobile which I upgraded to 8GB and currently have 5 full feature length movies and several music albums with just under 4GB free.

As for syncing music I personally prefer to drag and drop but the phone connects to the computer and is recognised as a htc phone, and can be synced with any music program with sync capability. Lots of people who have a desire like to use double twist, as it's itunes for the non conformist.

You're right with the small hardware things. I forgot about the optical joystick. I would guess that the small amount of ram would be cancelled out by the extra power used by Sense UI. Which from a positive perspective would mean that you get the better UI without any performance impact.

Yeah pretty much the extra ram is just a performance buffer for the sense UI. The optical trackpad works well for scrolling. Not so well as a game input interface.

I would ebay the N900, as for music on the desire it has a fair music player. Video is strangely accessed through the photo area of the device. Music play back through the speaker is a bit meh. Basically you won't be combating any punk ass kids on the bus with music blaring out their ghetto blaster phones. But that being said the audio quality is good and has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack so plug in whatever you need and it will work fine. You may want to find a good sized micro SD card as I only got a 4GB from T-mobile which I upgraded to 8GB and currently have 5 full feature length movies and several music albums with just under 4GB free.

As for syncing music I personally prefer to drag and drop but the phone connects to the computer and is recognised as a htc phone, and can be synced with any music program with sync capability. Lots of people who have a desire like to use double twist, as it's itunes for the non conformist.

Yeah pretty much the extra ram is just a performance buffer for the sense UI. The optical trackpad works well for scrolling. Not so well as a game input interface.

yeah I tried double twist for my n900 and didn't seem to work properly...how big is the desire's internal memory?

Big downside to dragging and dropping for me is lack of playlists etc...

The internal memory is standard Android affair of 512MB which is for the OS and application storage. The main uses for the micro SD is data and media storage and also data backup. Many developers take advantage of external storage to reduce the reliance on the internal memory. It is believed that as android evolves the external storage capability will play a much bigger part in terms of extensibility.

As for playlists you can create them on the fly but it's another feature I don't use as I'm more of a shuffle person

Posted on my HTC desire

Edited by Ten10

The internal memory is standard Android affair of 512MB which is for the OS and application storage. The main uses for the micro SD is data and media storage and also data backup. Many developers take advantage of external storage to reduce the reliance on the internal memory. It is believed that as android evolves the external storage capability will play a much bigger part in terms of extensibility.

Posted on my HTC desire

that bits totally over my head...mayhaps i'm too tired...

Basically allowing you to store applications on the external memory card. At the moment its on internal memory only and this is only available by rooting your device.( kind of like jailbreaking but instead of being in jail your more like being under house arrest.)

Spotify would probably be your best bet for music on Android. Obviously the price is a pain in the ass, but the new version on the iPhone (which I assume will be coming soon to Android) is brilliant. It's got support for live streaming, offline playlists and your own music collection, there's an On-The-Go type of playlist thing in the form of Starred Tracks and you can scrobble to Last.fm. I'd be willing to bet that the Android version will get the new Social stuff that's just come to the desktop player too.

The cost is the down side, but it might be worth it given the rather lack-lustre stock media software on Android.

The HTC desire comes with the HTC music application. Thw default android one is no where to be seen. But if that still isn't enough for you there are plenty of great third party solutions in the market place like mortplayer and tunewiki

Edited by Ten10

Anyone whose been sitting on the fence over a htc desire, sucks to be you. T-mobile who were offering the best tariff have just increased their prices again. Cheapest deal is now £380 for the handset on a £25 a month contract. sometimes early adopters don't get burnt

Posted from my HTC desire

Anyone whose been sitting on the fence over a htc desire, sucks to be you. T-mobile who were offering the best tariff have just increased their prices again. Cheapest deal is now £380 for the handset on a £25 a month contract. sometimes early adopters don't get burnt

Posted from my HTC desire

They offered the best price for a while, then they increased it and once they did that there were plenty of places you could get it cheaper. Last time I looked phones4u had pretty much the best deal on, but there were some other smaller sites with good deals if you trust them with your money.

I've had to send my n900 back....reflashed it twice to solves problems which seems to only temporarily solves the problem. and getting random sporadic touchscreen problems where it just plain out refuses to work.

Still under warranty obviously so sending it back that way 1st before having to go down the insurance root.

For anyone on Vodafone:

From the 1st of June you'll need to install a data usage tracker on your phone.

They will be scrapping their fair use policy and replacing it with the following:

Monthly bundle customers will pay £5 for every 500MB after the first 500MB

Customers without a monthly bundle will pay 50p for every 10MB after the first 25MB

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/topic/57718-mobile-internet-will-the-500mb-allowance-be-enough-for-internet-usage/page__st__160

Guest Captain Falcon

Well, after waiting quite some time, the place I ordered from finally got some in stock yesterday and it arrived today - I'm typing this on it now.

And since it was an upgrade, and free, I didn't have to give them any card details.

For anyone on Vodafone:

From the 1st of June you'll need to install a data usage tracker on your phone.

They will be scrapping their fair use policy and replacing it with the following:

Monthly bundle customers will pay £5 for every 500MB after the first 500MB

Customers without a monthly bundle will pay 50p for every 10MB after the first 25MB

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/topic/57718-mobile-internet-will-the-500mb-allowance-be-enough-for-internet-usage/page__st__160

wait a sec....so I pay however much extra a month to get "unlimited" internet rather than the 500MB limit and now I'm being told that thats being scrapped what a load of bullsh!t! perhaps I'll sell my n900 and use the money to buy out my contract and move network

Theres a whole brew-ha-ha about whether people can get out of their contract as its a change to the conditions they agreed to. Best check Bitter Wallet (or maybe other places...I'm not particularly clued in) as they're keeping track of all the changing and (mis)information.

Theres a whole brew-ha-ha about whether people can get out of their contract as its a change to the conditions they agreed to. Best check Bitter Wallet (or maybe other places...I'm not particularly clued in) as they're keeping track of all the changing and (mis)information.

cheers for that makes for interesting reading, likely none of its true though...

HI! Right well I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a Desire now, but I am planning on getting the handset (because I can get it pretty cheap) and then finding a sim-only contract. Does anyone know of any good sim-only contracts which include free unlimited internet? I've had a look around some obvious places but I have no idea where else to look. Help would be massively appreciated! :)

When I get my new phone will my sim that came with my n900 be able to plug in and work fine on a desire or a sony x10? How do you get the internet settings set up. Those are the two phones I'm thinking of getting to replace it...just waiting for it to come back from repair then going to sell it on and purchase new phone with the money.

When I get my new phone will my sim that came with my n900 be able to plug in and work fine on a desire or a sony x10? How do you get the internet settings set up. Those are the two phones I'm thinking of getting to replace it...just waiting for it to come back from repair then going to sell it on and purchase new phone with the money.

The sim card will work fine in both. The internet "set-up" is non-existent - everything the phone needs is on the sim card.

The sim card will work fine in both. The internet "set-up" is non-existent - everything the phone needs is on the sim card.

ah right...though there might be stuff that needs setting up because my sim card doesn't seem to work online with the crappy old phone i'm using now...

Maybe not the best (but the only one I know) but O2's 12 month simplicity offers unlimited data, texts and 300 mins for £15/month.

Same offer from giffgaff but as PAYG rather than contract :) It's basically O2, giffgaff are owned by their UK CEO and piggy backs on their network.