NEurope
Demuwan

Madden NFL 08

Seeing as we don't have a Madden thread, I thought I'd start one up as I firmly enjoyed the current instalment and believe it has one of the best implementations of the Wiimote around. I also found it surprisingly enjoyable as I'd never really had an interest in or knew anything about the sport.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/795/795634p1.html

IGN Wii: Madden 07 was one of the highest reviewed (and most-selling) titles during the Wii launch. How has that changed or strengthened future EA/Wii support, and what have you learned from the first release?

Damian Zerr: Madden 07 Wii proved that when done well EA Sports titles translate extremely well to Nintendo's innovative new console. Gesture based gameplay really opens the game up to a whole new playing experience and Madden 07 Wii was an example of introducing a fresh new way of playing a classic franchise. We learned that getting back to the basics and delivering a simple control experience is key for a Wii product's success.

Our focus on the control side of things this year was to continue to refine the controls, make them easier to perform, easier to remember and provide instant feedback to the player when they succeed or fail during gameplay. EA is very excited about the possibilities of the Wii and you can look forward to a strong showing this year with great EA SPORTS titles like Madden, FIFA and NBA as well as others hitting the streets.

IGN Wii: As far as general gameplay goes for all consoles, how is Madden 08 different from its predecessor?

Damian: Madden 08 Wii includes many new features and some exclusive to the Wii version only. For starters, the Wii version will include the franchise's Read and React Player Weapon system. Basically, during gameplay you can manually display and see where your impact superstars are and where best to exploit mismatches on the field. These players are marked with Player Weapon Icons to illustrate their strengths. For example, star QBs can be classified as a Precision Passer, a Scrambler or having a Cannon Arm; the highest honor is that of the Franchise QB.

madden-nfl-08-20070611022558586-000.jpg

The Wii version will also offer a number of exciting exclusive features. One of those is our brand new Party Mode. We built this mode for those times when you have friends over and you want instant multiplayer action. We worked closely with our friends at Nintendo and have included full support to attach your own custom Mii to track your overall progress in the mode.

When first entering the Party Mode you have three distinct games areas: Play Now, Mini-Games and Trivia. All areas fully support four-player action. Once each player creates a profile with their Mii, it's off to gameplay where you can compete in 22 mini-games, a Trivia mode which will test your NFL knowledge or traditional Madden fans' favorite exhibition action. Each time you win or lose at party games it will raise or lower your Party Rating. The sheer number of multiplayer mini-games offered this year is staggering to say the least.

On the gameplay side you will see a number of those fun gestures return. We wanted to keep the controls fun and easy to remember so we remapped a lot of the difficult two handed gestures to simpler actions. The result has made the game a lot more responsive and fun to play.

madden-nfl-08-20070611022556930-000.jpg

IGN Wii: Dealing with the Wii development specifically, what were "must-change" or "high importance" areas when creating Madden 08?

Damian: Top priority for us was a combination of refined gesture controls and our new modes like Party Mode and Online Play. On the control side of things we're also trying something very new to Wii sports games, but we'll have to talk about this in our next interview. We're not ready to let everything out of the bag quite yet.

IGN Wii: Are there any specific gameplay changes from running, passing, kicking, or play management?

Damian: We've done some tweaking in all areas of gameplay to make things easier to pull off. To Kick or Punt the ball now you simply hold the A button down and swing the Wii Remote up to generate power. This gives the user enough time to properly aim their kick before generating power. On the running side we've simplified the Power Move command to barrel through oncoming defenders. This year you just push the Wii Remote forward. These changes are just the tip of the iceberg, which together help make the game easier to play and more enjoyable.

IGN Wii: The previous game made great use of controller motion for stiff-arms, jukes, and catching or deflecting passes. Have any more of these motions been added for 08? How is the controller being used this time around?

Damian: A lot of those great gestures are back along with some new ones. One of the new additions we're particularly proud of is our new gesture based Audible system. This year we've put your Audible controls on the nunchuk. All you need to do is swing the nunchuk in one of four directions to call an Audible on the fly before the snap. These additions make the pre-snap game that much more interactive, just like in real life. If you don't like what you see on the defensive side of the ball in Madden 08 Wii, make the motion on your nunchuk and watch your team adjust.

IGN Wii: One of the most addictive modes in Madden 07 for Wii was the 2 vs. 2 mode, as well as the accompanying multiplayer mini-games. What has been added in the multiplayer department for this year's game?

Damian: On the mini-game side there are a number of exciting new games to be played. Our Party Mode includes a four-player Trivia contest that is simple to play yet challenging to win. Under the mini-game umbrella we have games like four-player Rushing Attack where the actions a 2 vs. 2 running game battle, or the 40-yard dash where each player drums their controllers as fast as they can to sprint to the finish line. Drum too early and you'll false start. All in all there are 22 mini-games available in Party Mode made up from a combination of familiar mini-camp drills and new to Wii platform experiences... all of them taking full advantage of gesture based controls.

IGN Wii: Along with new roster updates and mini-games, what can Wii players look forward to this year? Have live roster updates, streaming stats, or any other features been added to give the game the NFL feel?

Damian: It doesn't get any more NFL than streaming sports scores, which have been added to the feature set this year when you log into our brand new Online mode.

IGN Wii: Please go into detail in regards to online multiplayer. What modes can you play? Will it be as robust as, say, the 360 version?

Damian: The online mode this year on Wii will allow two-player Exhibition games which can be ranked or unranked matches. Once you've signed into EA Nation you'll have instant sports scores stream into the lobby and have access to quick play features to jump right into the action. Updated rosters, Leaderboards, EA Locker and EA Messenger are all a part of the online package this year.

madden-nfl-08-20070611022559524-000.jpg

IGN Wii: Does Madden support voice chat or any type of online communication? Also, will players need friend codes to hook up, chat, and play?

Damian: Madden Wii does not support voice chat this year. We do have a basic EA Messenger chat service which allows you to keep connected with friends during online play. EA Messenger is separate from the Wii friends list so when you're online you search for people by using their online EA Nation Persona.

IGN Wii: Does the online mode automatically import your system code, or do you need a separate friend code to play Madden online?

Damian: Madden Wii doesn't support the Wii friends system during online play. This is something we're still working on with Nintendo. For now our online play uses your EA Nation Persona to search and manage your EA Messenger account.

IGN Wii: How many of the game modes are multiplayer enabled? Can you play all mini-games, tournaments, and modes on and offline? Are there any online seasons/tourneys for the Wii version?

Damian: Pretty much all of the standard offline game modes are local multiplayer enabled. Social gaming is the big push for us this year with the inclusive of Party Mode and Online Play. We don't support online tournaments this year. However this is something we're looking at for next year. With this being the franchise's first year online on the Wii we have concentrated on delivering the core Madden gaming experience at a high quality.

madden-nfl-08-20070611022557836-000.jpg

IGN Wii: How does the game compare visually to last year's Madden, and will the Wii version specifically be getting a visual bump?

Damian: We put a lot of effort into the Visual and overall presentation this year. From our initial showings of the game people are impressed with the leap the game has made over last year. On the visual side we really tried to push the game's depth of color and richness. Everything from 3D grass to the shiny player helmets pop off the screen, even more so when you're playing in 16:9 with 480p. You'll notice this year that player jerseys and pants have that realistic jersey sheen (reflections) on them that actually adjusts with the camera angle. We didn't stop there, though. Our new in-game presentation includes an overhauled Play Call screen which shares some characteristics of the Next Gen game. Overall I think people will be impressed with what they see when they play the game, especially if you own an HDTV.

IGN Wii: Has there been any DS-to-Wii integration for this game for play calling or create-a-play modes? If not, can you use the Wii remote to draw out plays in your playbook?

Damian: No DS-to-Wii integration this year but there's always next year. When it comes to drawing with your Wii remote, however, we have got the feature for you. Madden 08 has an all-new Telestrator feature available in Party Mode this year. Basically Telestrator allows you to draw on screen during earned auto-instant-replays after big plays... so you can humiliate your opponent both vocally and visually this year moments after embarrassing your opponent with a punt return for a TD. It's been an office favorite and we're sure it will please those that enjoy heated competitive battles against their friends. Madden 08 Wii delivers John Madden's number one tool of his trade right into the palms of your hands. The possibilities are endless to say the least.

IGN Wii: Are there any modes/features that other Madden games have that the Wii version is missing out on? In turn, what content is Wii-exclusive?

Damian: Madden 08 Wii continues to have the major features that have become a part of the Madden product like Franchise Mode and Superstar Mode. We have also introduced new exclusive modes like Party Mode and familiar experiences like Online to appeal to both the traditional fan and the casual Wii fan. Also in the mix are new features like the Telestrator feature and other new innovations in this year's product. To get these new major additions into the game we did sacrifice a few minor features, however the pros of the new additions definitely outweigh the cons of the losses.

IGN Wii: For fans that picked up the previous game, why should they drop more cash on Madden 08?

Damian: It's really quite simple. First of all Madden 08 for the Wii will be one of the first experiences playable online for the Wii. Not stopping there, however, this year's version of Madden is a franchise advancement from last year with the new gameplay systems and features. Also, Madden 08 is going to open the doors of Madden gaming to a much broader level of Madden gamer than ever before with the "simplicity above all else" philosophy. So don't get left in the dark by missing out on Madden 08 for the Wii.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/795/795634p1.html

Looking good so far, although I think the 2 vs 2 mode has been scrapped in favour of the mini-games which is a shame as I think it was the best mode, and what made the multiplayer so engaging.

madden-nfl-08-20070611022614086.jpg

madden-nfl-08-20070611022611617.jpg

madden-nfl-08-20070611022613320.jpg

madden-nfl-08-20070611022612399.jpg

Looking very nice, probably look even better in motion, Online should just about seal it for me. Also:

IGN Wii: Does the online mode automatically import your system code, or do you need a separate friend code to play Madden online?

Damian: Madden Wii doesn't support the Wii friends system during online play. This is something we're still working on with Nintendo. For now our online play uses your EA Nation Persona to search and manage your EA Messenger account.

Interesting!?:)

I think so.

Excellent read and a nice find.

Does look as if the graphics have been tweaked a bit , but it's the wealth of other goodies that are promised that has me well excited.

Basically , release date cannot come soon enough.

Excellent read and a nice find.

I POSTED THE NEWS ABOUT ONLINE ON THE MAIN PAGE AND THE LINK TO THE IGN ARTICLE ON THE SOURCE!!!

er.. carry on.

I POSTED THE NEWS ABOUT ONLINE ON THE MAIN PAGE AND THE LINK TO THE IGN ARTICLE ON THE SOURCE!!!

er.. carry on.

Oops - perhaps my RSS reader was playing up , or most likely I wasn't concentrating :blush:

Oops - perhaps my RSS reader was playing up , or most likely I wasn't concentrating :blush:

I'll let you off with a warning this time! ;)

Looking good if you guys are picking this up check out the online board im trying to set up a tourney at the moment.

Very definitely my next Wii purchase (barring the sudden release of Battalion Wars or something similar in the interim).

Also glad to see that they've scrubbed the visuals up a little. The last one rather needed a fresh coat of paint really.

And of course, online. Whooo!

Heres the first look vid via Youtube.

Im still torn whether to get this version or the 360 one, hmmmm.

Yes, I want a Yankie football game. I'm torn between this and the 360 one like H-O-T.

I cannot believe anyone would even think about getting another version other than the Wii. Please tell me why you would even want a didfferent version because my brain cant comprehend it. Have you played Madden on the Wii? Have you seen the extra modes the Wii version is getting?

the Wii version looks cool but 360 for me. new animations and graphics look too nice to miss.

might get Wii version later.

Anyone interested in the online play of this theres an online thread in the otehr game sections of NE forums.

For those considering the 360 version , it may be worth holding out for reviews.

There has been frequent grumblings amongst Madden/NFL fans that the last couple of versions were too buggy , had many gameplay quirks (almost to the point of being broken) and had too many features missing from the last-gen versions.

It's likely that some of these have been corrected this year (but knowing EA , not all) , and the recent version of NCAA Football '08 has proved that the series should almost be back on track.

Personally , after playing last years Wii version (constantly , I may add) I can't see any benefit to playing the 360 version , barring the obvious graphical improvements.

Just a simple thing like controlling the trajectory (lob or bullet) of your pass with the Wii-mote rather than pushing a button makes the game more immersive. Add to that , shaking the Nunchuk to juke or Wii-mote to Stiff Arm then personally I find the Wii version to be the only version worth considering.

If '07 managed to get it so right in its debut on Wii then '08 should be incredible. It better had.

Just my 2 cents.

I cannot believe anyone would even think about getting another version other than the Wii. Please tell me why you would even want a didfferent version because my brain cant comprehend it. Have you played Madden on the Wii? Have you seen the extra modes the Wii version is getting?

360 version has achievements and with me being an achievement junkie its a big plus. Also, I have played the last 2 on the 360 and they are great and Live is a far superior online system than what the Wii has to offer.

It's amazing how great the Wii version is compared to the other versions. Great controls and a in-depth 2-4 player mode that all the other versions are missing...and we're getting online :)

That said, the next gen version lets you do high tackles AND low tackles...I mean just think of the consequences!

Some new vids on gametrailers. VERY impressed by the look of this game. I'm waiting for reviews of this and the 360 version, but at the moment, I'm def leaning towards this one.

Why is everyone talking about the 360 version? I'm importing the GAMECUBE version from the US. It looks like its going to be the last ever GC game so that's another plus point for me - a great game to end a great console.

Haha, yeah it does. Very weird. You guys should take a look at ESPN NFL 2K5 for the original Xbox. Some good shit that game.

ESPN NFL 2K5 for the original Xbox. Some good shit that game.

QFT - quite possibly the best football game ever and pretty much the only reason I used to have an Xbox.

Honestly, I can't tell any difference between the Wii version and the PS3/X360 version. Actually the grass looks better on Wii...

Wii Video - gametrailers.com

X360/PS3 Video - gametrailers.com

Only difference I could see without getting too anal about things is the lighting and detail in the jerseys is a bit better on the PS3 version but the Wii version has the better grass. I'd say if you didn't tell me it was Wii I'd assume it was XBOX 360.

Only difference I could see without getting too anal about things is the lighting and detail in the jerseys is a bit better on the PS3 version but the Wii version has the better grass. I'd say if you didn't tell me it was Wii I'd assume it was XBOX 360.

but the 360 version looks identical to the PS3 so how can the Wii version look like the 360 game. NCAA football 08 looks better on the 360 compared to PS3 also.

but the 360 version looks identical to the PS3 so how can the Wii version look like the 360 game. NCAA football 08 looks better on the 360 compared to PS3 also.

I was just saying that if no-one told me the that was Wii I would assume it was 360, because the graphics look really nice.