NEurope
gaggle64

Formula 1 2007

This thread is for all four us who care, plus anyone else who may take an interest.

In case you didn't know, his name is Lewis Hamilton. He's black, British, it's his first season and is already well on his way to becoming some kind of holy, car racing messiah, sent from heaven to turn F1 back into a sport that is genuinly entertaining to watch. He even overtakes and everything.

So far he's yet to fail to make the podium and he finally won his first pole positon in qualifying yesterday in Montreal, so here's hoping he can finally score his first win over Alonso. Coverage starts at 5pm, with the race scheduled to start at 6.

Also Montreal is classic style, high speed circuit, so this should be exciting. Expect a cetain number of broken vehicles.

Formula One, okay, but I don't really understand all the Lewis Hamilton hype. He's talented, but he's driving a McLaren - it's no big deal he ends up front every time.

Canada is an awesome circuit, should be a good race. Hope it rains for once.

Formula One, okay, but I don't really understand all the Lewis Hamilton hype. He's talented, but he's driving a McLaren - it's no big deal he ends up front every time.

Gaggle's use of the word "Messiah" was very appropriate, on this Island we all believe (mistakenly) that we'll be the best at everything one day, any glimmer of a champion in the making raises the profile of a sport to stupid levels, and when, at the end of the season, he comes second by 3 points we'll all cry into our pillows.

Thankyou! I'm supporting Raikkonen this season, had some bad luck poor guy but he'll bounce back. The race start at 6pm? I missed qualifying yesterday..

Driving a mclaren doesn't have much to do with it. You could put Kovalienen in a mclaren and we wouldn't do as well. Hamilton has telent; shitloads of it.

I'm a ferrari man myself, but i'm not looking forward to this race. It's a low downforce circuit with only 1 real straight (the ferraris strength). I wouldn't be surprised if it finishes with a mclaren 1-2.

We'll bounce back at Indi though.

I'm fairly impartial about teams and drivers, though naturally I am quietly rooting for the brit drivers. This year I'm hoping Williams can dust themselves off and pick themselves up a little.

I don't think you can just brush Hamilton off just because he has a great car. If it was only the car, he would be sitting in somewhere back on the third row, instead he's out qualifying and out racing the double world champion in an identical vehicle. Besides, it really is just simply fantastic to watch him racing. He practically sends the damn thing into corners sideways. I don't think I've seen such fire and tenacity on the track since Senna himself.

Hamilton is undoubtably a future world champion: something big would have to happen to stop that. I doubt it will be this year, but he certainly has what it takes.

lewis is on pole so its defo worth a watch incase he gets his first win :D

supporter of kimi and heidfeld

keep a eye on hiedfeld on this race bmw seem to be getting stronger and stronger

been watching F1 for over 10 years

Haven´t really been following this season mainly because Finnish formula broadcaster MTV3 decided to move all the live coverage from the main channel to one of their chargeable sub channels.

But as Gizmo said, Hamilton will most likely be the champion in few years but I think Alonso or Massa will win this year. I feel kinda bad for Kimi since he´s insanely good driver but he also seems to have insanely bad luck. Or maybe the fault is just in himself..

Kimi for World Champion!

I've supported Kimi since his first year at McLaren, which was really the year I got into Formula 1 (though I'd watched it a bit before that).

He's had some terrible luck and if it wasn't for McLarens shocking reliability over past years I believe he would have been a twice World Champion by now!

Unfortunately I can't see this year working out too well for him (though it's still early days!), but he seems to be still settling into the team and the car; which is also having its troubles! (most reliable car out there for years, now Kimi joins and they're having trouble with it, typical!).

I think McLaren will gradually become the dominant car this season and Alonso will probably take the title; though I really hope not as I CAN'T STAND Ron Dennis and I don't like Alonso a great deal either (especially as his 2005 win should have been Kimi's!).

With regards to Hamilton, I think he has a great deal of talent, but it also has to be attributed to the car. If he'd joined F1 in a team like Williams/BMW/Spyker etc... I don't think he'd be driving as well.

Plus, he did spend some rediculous amount of time in the McLaren simulator at the factory, which gave him something like a whole season of experience in the car!

Hamilton has also not had to deal with the shift to Bridgestone tyres, or in Kimi and Alonso's case, a change of car/team.

Anyway, hopefully Kimi will settle into Ferrari over the season and be much stronger in the second half (particularly in qualifying, where at McLaren he was immense!) as he finds the perfect setup/driving style for the new car/tyres.

Looking forward to the race as I love Canada as a circuit; definately one of the best along with Australia, Italy and Turkey.

Also, the new darker Ferrari looks fantastic!

Have always been a McLaren fan myself so the fact that a young upcoming British driver is racing for them makes it even better. Also one of my mates has met Hamilton due to the fact that her brother is good friends with him - they used to go karting together!

With regards to the current race Hamilton made a blistering start, 19 second or so lead when he pitted! Then of course the safety car comes out on the next lap (and is now out for a second time) meaning he has to try and do it all over again - talk about unlucky!

A well deserved win for Hamilton there, it's must have been intensly annoying constantly working up a lead only to lose it to the safety car. That's an 8 point lead over Alonso, and a 15 point lead over Massa. Alonso seemed to like that first corner. :heh:

For me though it all was a tad overshadowed by Kubica's horrific crash. Luckily he seems to only have a broken leg, so he's OK but will probably be out for the rest of the season. I think he's a great driver, so I hope he is back in the cockpit as soon as possible.

Damn, I really hope Kubica is alright. That was a nasty accident. The fact that he was talking so soon afterwards just shows how safe Formula 1 is these days.

But well done to Hamilton, he kept his head through despite so many stoppages. I'd be willing to bet there were more laps under the safety car than there were racing.

That was possibly one of the best races I've ever watched - so much happening all over the track. Obviously not saying that a crash as big as Kubica's is entertaining, but the rest certainly was!

Hamilton did very well to keep his cool every time the damn safety car came out and I think all you people who are saying "yeah, but he's in a McLaren of course he should do well" should take note that he is out racing a two time world champion in an exact same car (although even Sato managed to pass Alonso today so it can't be too difficult :heh:)

Well that was probably the best race since Japan 2005!

Absolutely awesome and so entertaining!!

Kubica's crash was horrendous, I'm glad he's OK!

But what a race!

- Alonso constantly going off and giving away places at corner 1.

- About 4 safety cars!

- Kubica's crash.

- Constant crashes; as soon as one safety car went in another was deployed!

- The two car synchronised spin at corner 1!

- Time penalties.

- Black flags.

- Sato overtaking Alonso! etc...

And well done to Lewis!

Shame Kimi didn't have the best result, though he did get a few points closer to Alonso and Massa!

I look forward to reading the sports section tommorow, the press are going to absolutely bum the boy to death. :p

Awesome Grand Prix, if only every one was as good as this.

I was quite worried for Kubica but he seems to be ok.

Good work mr Hamilton although I'm still rooting for Kimi!:bowdown:

Awesome Grand Prix, if only every one was as good as this.

As I believe the great Murry Walker once said, when F1 is bad, it's bad, but when it's good it's fantastic.

As I believe the great Murry Walker once said, when F1 is bad, it's bad, but when it's good it's fantastic.
Just a shame we've got the USA and France next!

Indi is OK, but the non-speedway part of the track is terrible and Magny Cours is such a boring race, I'm glad it's off the calender after this year!

What a poor race for Ferrair :( Massa looked like he was gonna cry...

Congrats to Hamilton. I thought Alonso was cool under pressure but wow, Hamilton is just brilliant. Alonso made WAY too many mistakes today.

incase any missed kubica broke his leg :( get well soon

horrible crash looked well nasty lucky to not have been wrose

CONGRATS TO HAMILTON!!

I thought Alonso was cool under pressure but wow, Hamilton is just brilliant. Alonso made WAY too many mistakes today.
The thing with Hamilton though is that he kind of has an advantage over Alonso because he has nothing to loose.

He can drive however he likes, push to the limits, and if he makes a mistake people wont be overly critical of it because it's his first season.

Alonso however has a reputation to uphold and if he starts taking a lot of risks and they don't pay off (a bit like today), he will be criticised and it will put even more pressure on him!

It's kind of win-win for Hamilton, but the likes of Alonso and Raikkonen are not in that sort of position.

Alonso reminded me a lot of Montoya in this race, supid mistake after supid mistake.

Only caught the last 10 laps or so. Looks like I missed a great race :( Hamilton is awesome, can't believe he is "the rookie".