NEurope
pedrocasilva

Rumor Control - IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat

I understand what you're saying and understand why they saw what you did, but still... are you complaining about lack of advertisement or bad advertisement now?

By any means I agree, I didn't really like that advert, but I think it sold quite a few units considering by the end of the week sales

It's a bit of both really. it'd have better if the advert was better because most of my mates that have seen it thought it was awful.

And yeah the sales are great :) I just hope it has staying power!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/823/823811p1.html

After being shorthanded in IGN LA for the last few weeks, Bozon sucks it up and delivers a "not so serious" LA podcast to tide readers over until Monday's official Wii-k in Review return. With Casamassina out until next week, Bozon is joined by IGN's Chris Monfette, gaming guru, resident jerk-ass, and Editor-in-Chief (slave) on the IGN DVD channel. Why is a DVD guy talking about gaming? What the heck is wrong with the still-busted podcast equipment? Why call it Wii-k in Review when they're talking about every system? Will the Wii-k in Review ever be the same?

- Bozon still concerned about 3rd party sales on Wii, as well as the quality of 3rd party games on Wii.

- Bozon doesn't expect PS4/X720 to use just motion control and IR - does not think it is a necessity unlike analogue sticks.

- Chris doesn't think that Metroid Prime 3's gameplay can help make it GOTY - the controls aren't enough to make up for the last-gen graphics in comparison to games like Bioshock and Halo 3. Feels this will be the case for all Wii games. However, what it does have over 360/PS3 games is that you ultimately take the visuals for granted on next-gen systems, but the controls feel fresh throughout.

- Chris thinks that Nintendo is expanding the audience, such as getting a wife to play, but will the wife go out and buy a Wii game? Probably not.

- Bozon likens the new executions to having your "eyes closed." Thinks it is too tame (tamer than Manhunt 1) and it ruins some of the appeal that it once had.

- Chris thinks that if you want to play an untapped version of Manhunt 2, then you should be able to play it (given you're of age). Thinks they possibly could've done a more artistic approach to the execution kills - perhaps make the kills more 'implied' and thus more powerful.

- Chris feels, with the help of technology (specifically on PS3/360), the game industry is starting to great truly epic storytelling and is reaching a fantastic level of presentation.

- Bozon played Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles with Peer. It's "growing" on him and is pretty fun. Fun to do dual-wielding thing with two wiimotes. Doesn't seem fully finished - for example, some character models look unfinished. But it's improving and things are still be finalised.

- Smackdown vs Raw 2007: "Very cool game". Uses tons of motion sensing but is very interactive, lots of fun. For example, can lift with the wiimote then slam them down. Are sceptical of how deep it will be due to being the first wrestling game on Wii. More coming in the next few weeks.

- Mercury Revolution keeps getting pushed back so they can't publish the review yet, but they will be reviewing it since they've had the game for a few months now.

- NiGHTS - according to Craig it's like the Saturn game. Is looking a lot better than it originally was, so people who enjoyed the original should be pretty excited.

- Bozon is glad to hear that Smash is online, but has some concerns. Finds it frustrating that there's no headset and also that it's not as fully featured as stuff you see on competitive systems (despite some issues with games like Halo 3 such as insults). Hopes they will announce further modes for the online.

- Chris thinks Call of Duty 4 is a fantastic experience online. Bozon played Skate and after learning the ability to upload videos and stuff, couldn't stop playing for ages. Believes this is the kind of experience that is pushing things online, and when you compare to something like Brawl's online, Brawl just doesn't match up.

- Bozon glad to hear that Ghost Squad has online leaderboards, since it was a feature that they hadn't really pushed before.

- Bozon played Super Mario Galaxy with Miyamoto, had tons of fun. Can't wait to play Battalion Wars 2. Ironically, doesn't believe any Wii game will win GOTY.

- Bozon actually hasn't played much Bioshock so can't give a definite impression of it. Chris thinks it is a completely original project, not perfect but very good.

- Halo 3 not really doing it for Bozon, but Metroid Prime 3 totally hooked him. Chris misses the snowcapped mountains of the original Halo - he wants more open areas similar to the original. Scale isn't there for him. On the other hand, Prime's areas are almost perfectly orchestrated.

the controls aren't enough to make up for the last-gen graphics in comparison to games like Bioshock and Halo 3
Holy crap! Halo 3? :shakehead

Criticizing Metroid graphics? (next to halo 3 ones, LOL) move on; and for me it doesn't need to "make up for"; the graphics look ace as they are, and I want Metroid Prime 3, can't say the same of Halo though, because they are TOTALLY different games.

Ironically, doesn't believe any Wii game will win GOTY.
Ironically I don't think the reviewers will let a Wii title receive the same praise a HD title does; I'm seeing a lot of "X360 overhyping" and a lot of "Wii underrating" lately... but if Galaxy doesn't... well, they're really lame, then.

Finds it frustrating that there's no headset

Who effin talks in a fighting game????

True... Who the hell was expecting Smash Bros Brawl with headset really?

They're delusional, next they'll say they didn't expect friend codes.

But still... they'll probably knock off points for the online not being right up their tastes (if it's not voice chat then is no "something"). Seriously, no one is expecting Xbox Live.

Rest of Wii-k in review impressions:

- The level design was much better in MP3 than Bioshock, because it doesn't hold your hand as much.

- Bozon has no reason to buy a Playstation 3 right now, doesn't believe it has enough quality games to warrant a purchase, despite the presence of Warhawk.

- Bozon disappointed by the lack of RE2 in Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles. Hoping that Wii gets a remake, especially since Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition sold great for what it is.

- Bozon excited about the VanillaWare games for Wii. Very glad to see 2D games on the console, and thinks the game looks great. (games? is there more than one?)

- Project O looks "sick". Some amazing visuals and a terrific concept, make sure you keep your eyes on it.

- Chibi Robo DS is in office, media and a review coming soon.

- Bozon doesn't think Retro Studios are going to go back to Ravenblade. Expect them to do something new and very cool, and doesn't think it will be a first-person shooter type of game.

- Dewy Adventure and Dragon Blade reviews are coming soon, but needed time to do them because of TGS.

Erm me. You mean to say you never talk when playing local multiplayer games? Online is exactly the same especially when you know the person.

Seriously, no one is expecting Xbox Live.

True but in this day and age surely an online multiplayer option is the norm for multiplayer games. As long as they sort out any lagging issues then I will be happy. I would love a Halo 3 style screenshot saver when I can send my saved screenshots via Wifi to my mates.

Erm me. You mean to say you never talk when playing local multiplayer games? Online is exactly the same especially when you know the person.
Were you expecting voice chat in Smash Bros? Mind you it's not on Xbox live.

I sure didn't, hell, a few weeks ago I was afraid of not having online.

True but in this day and age surely an online multiplayer option is the norm for multiplayer games. As long as they sort out any lagging issues then I will be happy. I would love a Halo 3 style screenshot saver when I can send my saved screenshots via Wifi to my mates.
Doesn't MP3 allow you to save/send screenshots?

metroidprime3corruptionda5.jpg

Who knows, for smash bros brawl, as it would actually make sense to allow that.

Still... that's not what I meant by "xbox live service".

Who knows, for smash bros brawl, as it would actually make sense to allow that.

Still... that's not what I meant by "xbox live service".

I think there's a big chance you'll be able to send screenshots with Smash. I don't know why it wouldn't be possible.

Were you expecting voice chat in Smash Bros?

Nope not with the attitude Nintendo has regarding online. Just saying it makes sense to have it especially in an online console game.

How hard is it to bring out a headset? I mean really? They feed us with a Fisher Price steering wheel for Mario Kart yet they wont give us a pretty important item for having a laugh with your mates online. It may come out eventually and I hope it does especially for a game like Battalion Wars.

I think there's a big chance you'll be able to send screenshots with Smash. I don't know why it wouldn't be possible.

Hopefully. That would be pretty sweet.

Are you saying when you played multiplayer smash you played in total silence? Half the fun is laughing at each other while playing, shouting at the guy who just sent himself flying off the edge with Luigi's Side B headbutt or Jigglypuffs B Roll, boasting about how fast you just sent your mate off the screen, or forming alligencies against the guy whos winning by 3 lives.

Nope not with the attitude Nintendo has regarding online. Just saying it makes sense to have it especially in an online console game.

How hard is it to bring out a headset? I mean really? They feed us with a Fisher Price steering wheel for Mario Kart yet they wont give us a pretty important item for having a laugh with your mates online. It may come out eventually and I hope it does especially for a game like Battalion Wars.

I never expected it for smash bros, hence I'm not disapointed in that or think I really need that qhen online. But... I agree that headset would fit in perfectly on Battalion Wars.

I find it ok that they pressure Nintendo for it in separate queries or make a fuzz before Nintendo says something final about Battalion if that could make a difference, but I'm not on the same page for acting indignated for Smash not having it... Because we all knew it wouldn't. It's almost "if it's not this, it's that" (if it wasn't the voice it would be the leaderboards, the friendcodes, or something)... It is what it is, basically; the taunts were already a good surprise for me.

Hopefully. That would be pretty sweet.
Indeed. :)

Lol at the constant disclaimers about it not being the average Wii-k in Review. I dunno about the unrest here just cos Bozon says that Smash Bros. Brawl would rock online with a headset... sure we can say its not a necessity and all, but it would be fun and the joy of Nintendo multiplayer is largely in the banter involved - and you can't totally get that from flashing up some captions on screen.

Cut IGN a bitta slack! :heh:

Are you saying when you played multiplayer smash you played in total silence? Half the fun is laughing at each other while playing, shouting at the guy who just sent himself flying off the edge with Luigi's Side B headbutt or Jigglypuffs B Roll, boasting about how fast you just sent your mate off the screen, or forming alligencies against the guy whos winning by 3 lives.

But that fun is taken away even with a headset.

Lol at the constant disclaimers about it not being the average Wii-k in Review. I dunno about the unrest here just cos Bozon says that Smash Bros. Brawl would rock online with a headset... sure we can say its not a necessity and all, but it would be fun and the joy of Nintendo multiplayer is largely in the banter involved - and you can't totally get that from flashing up some captions on screen.

Cut IGN a bitta slack! :heh:

Not saying otherwise, just saying they're being captain obvious on this one, and they really should let go instead of constantly whining about something. If I did that I'd seriously crap my experience with games.

"doesn't have PC Crisis-game graphics"

"doesn't have X hours of gameplay"

"doesn't have Wii controls" (on some other/older console games)

Doesn't have this, that, etc...

My point being... They should focus on meaningful things. (and Battalion Wars 2 is, at least until Nintendo closes doors and says "no voice chat")

If you have a 360 then just talk in that while playing Brawl/BWii online. What i'm gonna be doing.

As far as I'm concerned, voice chat is the first thing I turn off when playing online. I don't know the people whose ass I'm whooping, and most of the time, I don't need to. Bloody childish bastards yapping about when you shoot'm in the head, or vice versa. No thanks.

The arguement that "voice chat enables friends uphold their relationships" crumbles at the thought that you can just simply invite them over. Seriously, I don't think the majority of online gamers has "friends" across the globe.

But that fun is taken away even with a headset.

It's diluted a bit for sure, but it's better than not having it at all.

My point being... They should focus on meaningful things.

I know what you mean Pedski but they need something to talk about! And if everyone looked at games for what they do have rather than what they don't have, then every single one would be a classic.

I know what you mean Pedski but they need something to talk about! And if everyone looked at games for what they do have rather than what they don't have, then every single one would be a classic.
Hmmm... no, because there are flaws that really impossible to ignore, the ones that turn the game into crap or not; it's a game after all, it pretty much has to achieve that and be fun while doing it.

What we do have, is flawed works as cult classics.

But I don't think that is the case here; no "famous" game from a established franchise can equal all the expectations some have (and demand) for it/from it, and Smash Bros Brawl is no exception; Neither was Zelda, Metroid Prime 3, and even Halo 3 if we're gonna talk about it... the graphics are not up there with the rest of the X360 library... apparently it runs at 640p instead of 720p and well... it's more of the same by itself, most of the things were already in Halo 2 regarding multiplayer.

Yet... are we gonna bitch about that endlessly? that's pulling the game down, and ending up not enjoysing it because we're focusing to much on what we wanted... I sure think they're focusing too much on that. They must talk about something and I understand that, but still...

I feel the industry is disregarding shortcomings of some games as if they didn't exist, and yet going the useless extra mile to bitch about others, almost if they were promised something in the magnitude of Killzone 2 CGI trailer graphics and got the ingame instead (and strangely I see no critics complaining about that one)... We all knew if Smash were to be online it would be bound to the Nintendo online service, and in the end unacceptable is lag that could hamper the experience, not voice chat that some of us disregard completely; I agree if someone wants it and it's there it's already a bonus, but we've gotta be realistical.

This "GOTY" stuff is bullshit

GOTY by who? Because of the quality? Their awards? Gamerankings? BAFTA?

Seriously that's just a bunch of inconsequential crap. The gaming industry pisses me off more day by day.

I agree if someone wants it and it's there it's already a bonus, but we've gotta be realistical.

I think those wanting voice chat are being realistic, hell talking online has been in gaming for years and its about time Nintendo got their finger out.

Im not really complaining as like you said Pedro I never expected it to be in the game its just that there is no decent excuse ( whole talking to strangers rubbish is nullified with the friendscode system ) why Nintendo cant put it in.

I do agree though that lag is a far more worse problem that really needs to be sorted for when this launches.

Even on the GameCube you could go online and talk via a keyboard and it was fun.

But i'd rather they sort out the lag first then communication. Cause chances are i'll talk to people online with BWii and Brawl using the 360 headset.

But get the lag sorted out for long distance battles on Brawl and i'll be fine.

I think those wanting voice chat are being realistic, hell talking online has been in gaming for years and its about time Nintendo got their finger out.

Im not really complaining as like you said Pedro I never expected it to be in the game its just that there is no decent excuse ( whole talking to strangers rubbish is nullified with the friendscode system ) why Nintendo cant put it in.

I do agree though that lag is a far more worse problem that really needs to be sorted for when this launches.

They're being realistical in the point it's perfectly possible to do... but they're not being realistic to expect that from Nintendo at this time.

Voice chat is totally secondary for me, but I go with the masses with these matters, if they want it, if a single person wants it, it's good that it's in the game... But, it probably won't be, hence why I think these campaigns over it it's like raining where it's wet already; I think it's still worth it with Battalion Wars though, since Nintendo still hasn't said anything "final".

Best thing was if Nintendo somehow allowed voice chat on the OS later on (automatically enabling every game to have voice chat and recieve voice calls when online), but still... I wouldn't use it for most games, I really dislike using stuff like webcams and mics on the pc, let alone games. But this is my own judgement.

Planet Puzzle League DS, MPH and Pokémon P/D for example, have voice chat, not only because it's suitable, but because DS has a mic, but in SSBB? Who the hell cares?