Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Smoking

UK

Just so you know, I'm not being serious. You could say the same for having a bonfire or just driving a car.:blank:

I still think it's a bit negligent to do it while walking down a busy street, though...

Busy streets have cars pouring out fumes too, no way you could blame it on a lone smoker.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

petty crime? comon' its not "petty" is it. People should only smoke in their houses. Other people don't want to smell it or die young because of someone stupid enough to smoke in the first place.

Alright now just start to ban everything people don't like and may cause health issues.

Coal power plants, cars, pesticide (who cares about crop yields anyway).

Alright now just start to ban everything people don't like and may cause health issues.

Coal power plants, cars, pesticide (who cares about crop yields anyway).

You know, I like you, system. So, as my treat, have lung cancer and emphysema

I started smoking about two years ago, basically when i started uni. During college i smoked a hell of a lot of weed and then when i got to uni and my weed ran out i 'needed' something, and cigs seemed to be the answer, it would of probably been easier to be smart then and stop inhaling things altogether but i didnt because im dumb :P so now im on about twenty a day which isnt good but i can see me smoking less with the ban plus i might be able to merge that with quitting altogether! hopefully, hehe

Busy streets have cars pouring out fumes too, no way you could blame it on a lone smoker.

My point before I had even read this far.....

I tend to smoke a lot when ppl are not around me and in my own space, I have been forced to take that pov, I am also making some effort to stop smoking before the ban kicks in...But:

I dont drive (can but dont choose to) but have to inhale several inconsiderate bastards right to pollute the streets with their motor vehicles on a constant and daily basis along with watching it filth up some of our most lovely architecture (Why not quit and get up off their fat arses and walk or get public transport ?).

Just wait till July the 1st when the antismoking nazis complain about the cloud of smoke they have to endure every time they enter a pub or stray into the beer garden on a hot summers day...

Haha very mature of you. How old are you? 10?

Didn't they teach you at school to counter arguments with arguments instead of childish threats?

No, but they did teach me not to smoke...

Ah, but they start because they think it looks cool...

guess you didnt read my whole post, i started from smoking weed, not from "looking cool", and i smoked weed for the feeling not for the look.

No, but they did teach me not to smoke...

Did they also teach you that a coal power plant is much worse? Or that cars actively and passively kill people aswell?

So I let people drive and except in return that I can smoke ... thats a fair deal I guess.

Actually I heard that meat consists of animals ... shouldn't we ban meat eating too? Poor cows and pigs ... they did do nothing wrong.

My point is there are a lot of problems in our society which can't be solved by simply banning the cause.

Did they also teach you that a coal power plant is much worse? Or that cars actively and passively kill people aswell?

So I let people drive and except in return that I can smoke ... thats a fair deal I guess.

Actually I heard that meat consists of animals ... shouldn't we ban meat eating too? Poor cows and pigs ... they did do nothing wrong.

My point is there are a lot of problems in our society which can't be solved by simply banning the cause.

Ah, but you don't have to smoke in public, and no one is blocking you from not smoking.

In the case of power plants, there are alternatives, but coal the cheapest source for this country. As for cars, the oil companies are doing there best to prevent cars from becoming hydrogen powered, and the US government (who are lead by Texas oil barons) aren't doing much in the way of exploring alternative sources.

Actually (not saying everything should be banned btw!) it would effectively stop it if it was banned completely.

But comon, just because there's one problem then you mght aswell add another one by smoking...so what if there's coal pwer planta and the like, it doesn't make smoking any better? Thats like saying "oh global warming, leave it for the next generation, its just another problem"

I know cars and the like arse worse, I get that, but people can't not have cars because it would halt the world, but people can stop smoking. Every little helps (wheres that saying from? Its bugging me!)

All smokers know smoking is bad for people around you and for themsleves so why do you do it? I don't understand it really

Ah, but you don't have to smoke in public, and no one is blocking you from not smoking.

In the case of power plants, there are alternatives, but coal the cheapest source for this country. As for cars, the oil companies are doing there best to prevent cars from becoming hydrogen powered, and the US government (who are lead by Texas oil barons) aren't doing much in the way of exploring alternative sources.

And people don't have to come near me, whilst I'm smoking.

And people don't have to come near me, whilst I'm smoking.

If its in a public space then they most likely have to walk past you.

I'm going to stop posting in these 2 threads now because I'm causing to many arguement's without meaning to :woops:

Actually (not saying everything should be banned btw!) it would effectively stop it if it was banned completely.

But comon, just because there's one problem then you mght aswell add another one by smoking...so what if there's coal pwer planta and the like, it doesn't make smoking any better? Thats like saying "oh global warming, leave it for the next generation, its just another problem"

I know cars and the like arse worse, I get that, but people can't not have cars because it would halt the world, but people can stop smoking. Every little helps (wheres that saying from? Its bugging me!)

All smokers know smoking is bad for people around you and for themsleves so why do you do it? I don't understand it really

That is not my point. But before banning cars because they create heavy pollution I would start working out alternatives and there are alternatives already nobody is interested too.

So why is the big fuss about smoking? Compared to pollution and global warming I think smoking is the least of their problems.

We once visited a rehab clinic with school ... you can't just tell REAL addicts to stop and take away their drug.

That is not my point. But before banning cars because they create heavy pollution I would start working out alternatives and there are alternatives already nobody is interested too.

So why is the big fuss about smoking? Compared to pollution and global warming I think smoking is the least of their problems.

We once visited a rehab clinic with school ... you can't just tell REAL addicts to stop and take away their drug.

I know that, i'm not a total dumbass (hopefully I dont make out to be one) but people that aren't REAL addicts can stop smoking. Its just will power. My dad smoked for 20 years, I asked him to stop because I didn't want to have to go to his funeral in a few years. It took him a couple of tries and it was hard for him, but he did it.

So it can be done....and just because there are bigger problems in the world doesn't mean we can't deal with the smaller ones aswell does it?

Do it in private then.

Well no I should't have to. If I'm on my standing on my own smoking and someone comes up to stand next to me. Then they can't later complain I was standing near them. Twas their own bloody fault.

Of course not but right now smoking can kill me and if I smoke near someone it could cause his death aswell through passive smoking.

So why not just make a law that you are not allowed to smoke in public places? But if you are alone at a bus stop leave it be. And bars, restaurants should decide which sort of customer they want to serve.

Well no I should't have to. If I'm on my standing on my own smoking and someone comes up to stand next to me. Then they can't later complain I was standing near them. Twas their own bloody fault.

Yes, but if you light up in the middle of the street and walk along, you're just being selfish and in no way respecting others.

Yes, but if you light up in the middle of the street and walk along, you're just being selfish and in no way respecting others.

really a question smokers (people who do it outside in public places) should ask themselves is "how many people have I killed?"

53800 a year die because of people smoking outside in public places, more so in offices and work places (687 a day)

there are 11 million smokers in britain

so as a percentage you have a 0.5% chance basically of killing someone the next time you light up in a public place. That might not sound like much to you but i'm sure to the persons family who dies it does.

I'm just saying, smoke inside in your house/garden or whatever. But don't do it anywhere else where there are other people, its just plain unfair.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!