NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Donkey Kong Country Series

...but can't wait to complete it so I can download that allegedly brillianter DKC2 :D

101% DKC before moving on (if you dare!) It's uber hard due to a stupid secret room which only gives you access to it once ensuring you have to complete it first time.

DKC2 is amazing if you come from DKC as it is familiar yet ramps everything up. Especially the animal buddy moments and the music.

DKC3 is just...IMO, sublime. It takes the best elements from 1 & 2 and goes on to create an amalgamation of both, albeit wrapped in an RPG-lite world (and who doesn't love snowball fights?).

They are all must haves on the VC due to the SNES versions being the best and with the CC you are set for a brilliant 2D adventure spanning so many ideas and experiences.

As a trilogy the variety is astounding.

King K Rool ... ARGH

Though I have to say I absolutely adore the music in the underwater levels. So creepy. Made me think of Resident Evil. Then I remembered this came first, so fell even more in love with the game.

I still can't get past the bloody mine carts.

There a short cut at the beginning, jump over the blast barrel and then fall off the screen hugging the wall ;-)

I bought Donkey Kong Country today, for the Wii.

I got to the Glacier world quite fast, but I'm having difficulty on the first level.

Back in the day, I managed to 101% the game. That was using a strategy guide though, I probably can't do it without.

Just downloaded DKC... ready to join in with the DKC loving! and in preperation for DKC Returns. Plus I've now got a White Classic Controller Pro!

I've never really played the games at all, I remember years back watching a friend play through a few levels on his SNES, so it's about time I gave it a go myself!

Must say I was expecting the graphics to have held up a little better, seeing as they were some of the finest examples of 2D out there, but I guess that's probably a result of it being scaled up to a 28 inch widescreen! I've taken it off smart mode, so it isn't streched wide and it looks a tad better.

Have plowed my way through what I guess is kind of World 1... beating the beaver... and on to World 2, where I must say the mine carts took quite a few goes... and following it up with 'Stop & Go' was a bit mean, because once you start a new world you can't go back to Candy's save hut right?... you've got to keep going to the one in that world. Think I'm down to my last couple of lives as a result!

Anyways, enjoying it, And I'll give it some more play time soon!

DKC3 is just...IMO, sublime. It takes the best elements from 1 & 2 and goes on to create an amalgamation of both, albeit wrapped in an RPG-lite world (and who doesn't love snowball fights?).

As a trilogy the variety is astounding.

Its for reasons like that that DKC 3 is my favourite of the trilogy.

I bought Donkey Kong Country today, for the Wii.

I got to the Glacier world quite fast, but I'm having difficulty on the first level.

Back in the day, I managed to 101% the game. That was using a strategy guide though, I probably can't do it without.

Snowbarrel Blast? If you're still stuck there's a shortcut at the final, lengthy, barrel section.

I've never really played the games at all

...:nono:

Better late than never though! :grin:

Have plowed my way through what I guess is kind of World 1... beating the beaver... and on to World 2, where I must say the mine carts took quite a few goes... and following it up with 'Stop & Go' was a bit mean, because once you start a new world you can't go back to Candy's save hut right?... you've got to keep going to the one in that world. Think I'm down to my last couple of lives as a result!

Anyways, enjoying it, And I'll give it some more play time soon!

When you start the level hold left to exit through the entry.

haha really... classic!

I've done it though, it was just a mean combo of levels!

Edited by Retro_Link

Heh, I discovered that first time. Was a very weird thing to happen across; was half-expecting it to be a feature of every level :p

Anyway, I actually downloaded DKC2 a few weeks back, just been so busy with my backlog of other games to start it yet.

OK the first snow level is seriously pissing me off!!

Snow Barrel Blast?

:weep:

How many lives have you lost exactly?

I can understand your sense of frustration but it's not as difficult as your mind will be telling you it is. When you've done it once, and therefore know you can do it, you'll find it a lot easier.

And as mentioned elsewhere here, after the mid barrel checkpoint when you come across the really long string of Cannon Barrels, there is a shortcut that uses Blast Barrels to take you past the most difficult part.

How many lives have you lost exactly?

I can understand your sense of frustration but it's not as difficult as your mind will be telling you it is. When you've done it once, and therefore know you can do it, you'll find it a lot easier.

And as mentioned elsewhere here, after the mid barrel checkpoint when you come across the really long string of Cannon Barrels, there is a shortcut that uses Blast Barrels to take you past the most difficult part.

Lets just say I've lost ALOT of lives!

Yeah I easily got to the mid save, but it's the crazy barrel section after that!... Especially the part a bit further on where the barrels rotate fast, move up&down/diagonally, AND there's fast moving wasps... plus the white blizzard makes it more difficult to judge the barrel edge! Cruel indeed!!

Ahh I have found that barrel shortcut I think, but the last couple of barrels spin really fast and the few times I tried to get all the way across I mistimed it!

If you do it fast without using the shortcut theres a triple life balloon waiting at the end. Take too long and it floats off. Also, if you need more lives, when you are on the file select screen go down to delete game and press B,A,R,R,A,L and you'll start off with 50 lives! :grin:

Or highlight the erase button and enter: D.A.R.B.Y.D.A.Y

Then use select to cycle through the tracks. I've wasted hours with the DKC jukebox codes.

There are a ton of handy codes in the DKC games. All awesome too :-)

Down Y Down Down Y before you get to the file select screen being my personal least favourite!

Is that the bonus level one?

I wonder if the new DKC will have bonus levels where you collect stars/animal medals or anything similar. Can't remember seeing anything like that. The bonus barrels and DK coins somewhat made the game longer as you had to really explore in a similar vein to Super Mario World to fully complete.

I see the KONG letters are back on the wii version yet they were never really hidden IMO.

Oh...I loved How they did the DK coins in DKC3. Protected and only attainable by defeating that hilarious looking croc. Man some of those were tricky. Rare had so many ideas in that franchise which were fresh with every outing.

Aye, for the bonus levels. So pointless, imo!

I wonder what the save system will be like in Returns. If they don't bung secret areas into levels and collectibles then they have completely missed the point with what DKC embodies.

I wonder if the new DKC will have bonus levels where you collect stars/animal medals or anything similar. Can't remember seeing anything like that. The bonus barrels and DK coins somewhat made the game longer as you had to really explore in a similar vein to Super Mario World to fully complete.

I see the KONG letters are back on the wii version yet they were never really hidden IMO.

I remember watching a gameplay video where they showed a bonus level. Plus, most of the videos available had puzzle pieces scattered throughout the levels, so I think we're safe.

I actually replayed DKC recently. Such a fine game, I love how the final levels are so frantic, there's barely any time to relax!

And Snow Barrel Blast is one of the best levels. Hard, but not too frustrating.

DKC is the best platforming series ever, without a doubt. Simply sublime.

So earlier today, Snow Barrel Blast...

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

And the proper way too! I couldn't find the shortcut.

I found a rhythm with the barrels that made it ALOT easier to get through the stage... basically if you fire your way across the barrels after just two rotations you'll clear the wasps (apart from 2 occasions where you have to wait for 3 rotations). This proved both speedy and incredibly effective!

I'm now up to the Industry Zone's 'Barrel Drum Alley'.

I'm now up to the Industry Zone's 'Barrel Drum Alley'.

"Industry Zone?" This ain't no Sonic game.

"Industry Zone?" This ain't no Sonic game.
Broadcast Yourself
Audio

;)

Edited by Retro_Link

COMPLETED!! :D

Yay!! Glad I've done this classic!

K. Rool's little 'The End?...' surprise got me! Crown throwing bastard!