NEurope
DiemetriX

Namco Favours Wii over 360 and PS3

splash_logo_namco.gif

In a move that will be seen as a kick in the teeth to Sony and MS, Japanese developer Namco, have revealed that they plan on releasing 37 games for the Wii, 24 for the 360 but only 23 for the PS3 during the course of the next financial year.

The reason for this? Despite being one of the most loyal supporters of both the PlayStation and PS2, the slow sales of the PS3 have taken their toll on Namco’s own PS3 range, with games such as Gundam falling short of the half a million sales Namco had targetted.

While the fact Namco is getting behind the Wii is no real surprise – it has been flying off the shelves, after all – the fact the 360, a console with no real presence in Namco’s native Japan, will be receiving more games this year than the PS3 will be a bit of a shock.

Source: http://www.360-gamer.com/news.asp?id=889

Yet the other two consoles still get Katamari....

There must be a Tales game on the way then, they better not all be crappy/gimmicky games.

whats a good namco game? i can only think of pacman

Katamari Damacy, SoulCalibur, Tekken, the "Tales of" series, Ridge Racer, Time Crisis, Point Blank, Ace Combat and tons of others?

Of thirty-seven titles a lot of them must be below average, but the same counts for the twentysomething the other two consoles get. The point is that the Wii is Namco's main console at the moment and it's a been long time since a Nintendo home console achieved that.

Even if only five of those titles are gems then I'll be a happy gamer. Hope it includes a new Tales game, and that Soul Calibur adventure game is sounding great too.

Katamari Damacy, SoulCalibur, Tekken, the "Tales of" series, Ridge Racer, Time Crisis, Point Blank, Ace Combat and tons of others?

Too true, let's just hope Time Crisis is in there, or a compilation of the first 2 or 3 :) Wii is really hotting up now!

The thing is, once a console gets such momentum it gets very hard for the others to catch up.

Too true, let's just hope Time Crisis is in there, or a compilation of the first 2 or 3 :) Wii is really hotting up now!

The thing is, once a console gets such momentum it gets very hard for the others to catch up.

They should be porting Time Crisis 4 (but as far as we know they aren't), but... they are porting it for PS3, strange thing is that the original arcade version of it ran on system 256 (a PS2 on steroids).

Looked pretty good though, but definetly easy as hell to put on Wii.

Maybe they're just going along with that since no Time Crisis before came out of Playstation consoles before; same for Tekken (apart from the GBA version) actually. They should, at least, be thinking of it.

whats a good namco game? i can only think of pacman

tekken,pacman(haha) Rage racer(ps1),Soul blade(ps1),Soul calibur(dc) Soul calibur 2(Gamecube etc). Xevious(well ye seem to like it)

there are a lot they are great really but not really fantastic on nintendo consoles i guess. It's not fair to judge them on starfox assault at least they tried to do something different

haha I can't believe i forgot point blank.. All the rest you said too but i don't like any ridge racer bar ridge racer 3(called rage racer)

Ace combat wii and ridge racer have huge potential with the wiis controls

Wasn't the first one called air combat? If so why the name change

Air combat was a launch ps1 game i have it here but it is dated to hell so i don't play it

Klonoa could be an interesting series on Wii too as it had a cool cel shaded style that could look pretty nice on the system, similar to Treasure Island Z.

Wasn't the first one called air combat? If so why the name change

It was only called that in Europe.

If you ask me, it's too many games. Focus on less good games i say.

To be honest, I was kinda surprised by the huge amount of Wii titles Namco-Bandai got planned in their new fiscal year. I mean, when was the last time a Nintendo platform got so much support from a third party developer/publisher? But then again, seeing how well the Wii is selling in comparison to the 360/PS3, combined with the lower dev costs, it's really a no-brainer.

We should not forget this also includes the Bandai games, that means it also includes the Tamagotchi's, most of the anime titles. I'm fine with that as half of those titles are probably not worth mentioning anyway. As long as a few high-profile quality titles show up, Im fine with that.

The new Soul Calibur spin-off and the new Gundam game seems very interesting and hopefully a sign of even better things to come.

If you ask me, it's too many games. Focus on less good games i say.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Also, I realise there are lists here of games that Namco make, but I'm at a loss trying to think what I'd buy. Just any Tales of that we might get. And hey, with such a vast quantity of games announced, there has to be a Tales of game in there, right?!

You people haven't probably noticed word Bandai on the front of Namco. That number naturally contains also all titles that Bandai makes.

You people haven't probably noticed word Bandai on the front of Namco. That number naturally contains also all titles that Bandai makes.
Including Tamagochi Wii :P (but also Gundam)

I'd love to see Bandai bringing a Chibi Robo sequel, or another game made by Studio Skip for the Wii.

Nintendo had a considerable ammount of Bandai stock (~3%?)before the fusion with Namco, they should have a pretty good (and long) relation with them. I don't know how much they own after the merge though.

Another Baten Kaitos would be great, still haven't got the second one, some Xenosaga's, some new Tales iterations. Exciting the possibilities.

Another Baten Kaitos would be great, still haven't got the second one, some Xenosaga's, some new Tales iterations. Exciting the possibilities.

Dude, Baten Kaitos and Xenosaga is Monolith's property and Nintendo bought them.