NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Melainon

Alone in the Dark for Wii

Any movie fans may be interested to know Empire magazine are offering this as their subscription gift thing - I just bagged me a copy (or I will do when its released that is...)

Im impressed. Looks good so far. The video on Jeux France looks a whole lot better than the screenshots, which weren't too shabby to begin with.

PS2/Wii mentioning does bother me too, but then again, if they put effort in it and it looks good, but most of all, it plays good, then Im fine with it. It really does make me think of RE4, so Im keeping an eye on it.

Interview up on IGN too.

Excerpt which has gotten me w00t:

Objects can be manipulated as in real life so you can choose to pick up anything from a chair, globe or rake to hit enemies or break objects such as doors.

Sighs of relief and excitement.

You can break doors too in RE4. Well, certain doors, at least.

Any movie fans may be interested to know Empire magazine are offering this as their subscription gift thing - I just bagged me a copy (or I will do when its released that is...)

yeah i noticed this in the recent issue am tempted.

IGN Preview: http://wii.ign.com/articles/876/876213p1.html

After completing the opening sections of the game, a chapter and scene selection becomes available. Can't beat a tricky part? Pull up the menu and skip to the next. Want to replay a cool moment? No problem.

Steering is done by holding both the Wiimote and nunchuk up as if you were gripping a steering wheel. The B button is used for acceleration while rising and lowering each hand does the steering.

Combat and exploration make full use of the unique controls as well. To open your inventory, you can simply twist both sections of the controller like handles. Want to quickly take out your gun or put it away? Once it is equipped you simply have to flick your wrist to draw it. Do the opposite and it is quickly stowed away for later. Things like jumping can be done with a button press, but if you're in the right place you can simply launch Carnby up with some deft Wiimote flicks. Even the melee attack has multiple ways of swinging depending upon how you move the Wiimote.

This is your inventory.

alone-in-the-dark-20080522042700601-000.jpg

This is a good example of a bad screenshot.

alone-in-the-dark-images-20080403092933161.jpg

Looks pretty cool, actually. I like the look of Game's limited edition set.

I'm thinking about this one a lot but I'm worried that the experience will just be plain better on an HD system. The motion controls do look awesome but will they really make the game? So far it is pleasingly a yes I think...

I'm thinking about this one a lot but I'm worried that the experience will just be plain better on an HD system. The motion controls do look awesome but will they really make the game? So far it is pleasingly a yes I think...

I dunno if you have been reading anything regarding the Wii version? It sounds decent enough in comparison the the other versions- but then I suppose the developer wouldn't be wanting to outright tell us they have made the Wii version rubbish, lol.

GZ: I heard you say something about the Wii’s levels being tighter.

AB: The Wii version contains the same scenarios as the 360 version, so both players are getting the same storyline. It just matters how it’s presented. Whereas the Xbox 360 version has a completely rendered Central Park and wide-open spaces, the Wii version is more contained and streamlined. It gives players the same experience but in a more focused matter.

GZ is Gamezone and AB is Andre Bermudez, Game Analyst at Atari. The full interview can be found here for anyone thats curious:

http://wii.gamezone.com/news/05_22_08_08_05PM.htm

It's effectively the same game with some awesome motion controls.

Well, apart from the step down in graphical quality. Regardless there's plenty of room for titles like this on the Wii. The only thing I'm worried about is the cut-scenes; apparently they are recorded from the HD versions of the game and placed into the Wii and PS2 versions. As a result, it could look a bit cheap and nasty in places - why not create them using the same graphics engine instead?

Well, apart from the step down in graphical quality. Regardless there's plenty of room for titles like this on the Wii. The only thing I'm worried about is the cut-scenes; apparently they are recorded from the HD versions of the game and placed into the Wii and PS2 versions. As a result, it could look a bit cheap and nasty in places - why not create them using the same graphics engine instead?

Although "recorder" cutscenes tend to look bad, considering they pre-rendered with an engine that supposedly looks much better, I don't see much harm apart from lack of consistency.

I dunno if you have been reading anything regarding the Wii version? It sounds decent enough in comparison the the other versions- but then I suppose the developer wouldn't be wanting to outright tell us they have made the Wii version rubbish, lol.

Cheers big D, I'll look into that. I was simply expecting that the lighting and atmospherics would be a whole lot worse. If they are not then this is looking more like a Wii purchase. But then again, I have got a 360 for a reason.

The game is out on Friday.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME

It's awefull. Juck. Tested the wii version today. it's horrible in so many ways.

Gonna test the 360 version tomorrow, hope that's better.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME

It's awefull. Juck. Tested the wii version today. it's horrible in so many ways.

Damn... Another hope down the drain.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME

Damn , my pre-order has already been sent. Sounds like I may be better off not opening the thing , or wait on more opinions before I do.

It arrived this morning , and thought I may as well give it a look.

Played an hour or so and unfortunately I would have to agree that so far it is not good at all.

Too much wrong with it to go into detail and it will need to get a hell of a lot better if I am going to continue with it , which may be a task in itself.

I saw a review of the 360 game. It got 3/10.

So, it sucked across all platforms?

At least we have some consistency then. Still, the wrong kind, but consistency nevertheless.

I'm a bit gutted by this, as this had the potential to be something worth playing. Any chance of a Silent Hill game for the Wii?

I have it on 360 and think it's pretty good! Slightly annoying character movement though..actually the controls kinda let the side-down really..other then that..i'm enjoying it!

So it's a letdown huh? After Gamer TV gave it so much promise to dedicate a whole show special to it.

Playr (gaming TV show on Bravo) gave it an 8/10. The 'William' Fishington is getting the review copy from Atari of the Wii version, so you may want to wait for his opinions too.

Sign in to follow this