N-Europe

Harvest Moon Magical Melody

Retro_Link

I never played a Harvest Moon game, and I was looking forward to this as one of my last Cube games, because it looked like a great example of a Harvest Moon game.. I am somewhat glad I still get the chance to get this game (probably?), but while I'm such a difficult person, I hope they'll have "gamecube" editions (packed in black Cube boxes that is) for people who specifically want to add this game to their Cube collection.. There's no way I'm putting this in my Wii.

I might be wrong but they way i have read this story it isnt going to fit in your cube. If its being realease as a wii game then i would expect it going to be dvd sized and you would have to play it on your Wii. or am i missing something.

I might be wrong but they way i have read this story it isnt going to fit in your cube. If its being realease as a wii game then i would expect it going to be dvd sized and you would have to play it on your Wii. or am i missing something.

You may be right, I thought I read it was going to be marketed as a Wii game (pretending to be a Wii game, while actually being a Cube game. Would be the cheapest way to handle this I reckon). Oh well, wishful thinking I guess.

I'm not sure now, I'll probably wait for a "proper" Wii Harvest Moon.

Yeah I think it is - in the cubed interview it said there was a Harvest Moon game called 'Tree of Happiness' or something like that which I presume is the english name for the HM game that came out in Japan??? I also want to go back to a post by Zelda_Rulez earlier today when he said about the release date of 'Magical Melody' being previously listed as Sep 30th. I saw that on Rising Star's website a few weeks ago and it must have been wrong because 30/09 is a Sunday and games never come out on a Sunday (in the UK at least). It was as if they were just picking a date at random. I e-mailed the chief exec of Rising Star back in January about 'Magical Melody' and he was a bit vague then too :)

I also want to go back to a post by Zelda_Rulez earlier today when he said about the release date of 'Magical Melody' being previously listed as Sep 30th. I saw that on Rising Star's website a few weeks ago and it must have been wrong because 30/09 is a Sunday and games never come out on a Sunday (in the UK at least).

They do so when they aren't really sure about the release date, but reckon that they will have released it by the 30:th.

• 6 months later...
Major bumpage I know but seeing as this is finally due for release on Friday (after numerous delays) I am wondering if I am the only one that may be picking this up. It would appear so.

No, i am as well BUT i kinda keep forgetting it's out! I did enjoy the Gamecube version to some extent, but i think it will work much better on the Wii (i'm hoping).

To those that have pre-ordered this at Gameplay , it may be worth checking your invoices when this comes through as they have reduced it to £24.99 on the website.

I have been told but that I should get charged the new lower price but the last couple of times they did this I still got charged the original order price. Not a problem as refunds for the difference are usually easily obtained but still worth keeping an eye on.

And yes , I am watching the pennies :p

Turned up this morning and finally managed to get a bit of time on it , after being seduced by Fire Emblem.

I never got around to importing this on the GC so I can't make relevant comparisions but TBH early signs weren't promising.

The game fails to output in 60hz despite being set as that in the Wii options and as a result it doesn't look as good as it could. There was no option ,that I could find , to adjust the settings in-game either.

Control wise , there is no implementation of the Nunchuk/Wii-mote and the only one mentioned in the manual is shaking the Wiimote to use tools , which doesn't appear to work. Button placement also seems all over the place at first but I think I am getting used to the way things are supposed to be done.

As for the game itself , gameplay wise it seems to be more of a return to the SNES version than that of AWL (it could just be the graphical style that is throwing me out though) , but I am too early in the game to say for sure.

A read through the manual and the apparent depth of the game had me excited to switch on , but so far the game as failed to grab me. I hope that changes as things progress.

I picked it up too yesterday, and it's Harvest Moon as we love/hate it. It's definitely a step back to its roots, which is a good thing in my book. It's as niche as it ever was.

The gripes I have are about the same:

This is more or less the GC-game printed on a Wii-disc: no 16:9, no EHTV, black borders on all sides of the screen measuring a rather weighty 2cm. Still, it looks crisp and clean. Some text hasn't even been updated properly. I was told to do something by 'pressing the X button'. Woops, slip-up. It's very rare, as the correct buttonnames and -pictures are displayed, but the odd GC-reference still slipped through.

The motion-controls work... if you discover how to use it. Every item is used by swinging the remote forward... but not too fast! Do it gently, not 'throwing' like in WiiSport e.g. Just tilt/swing it gently forward (vertical --> horizontal, like using a hoe or axe), and it'll register every time. I use it all the time, but if you don't feel like it, a press on the Z-button will do ya just fine.

The controls do take some getting used to, but you learn. We've come a long wey from the early HM's, where you could only carry a single working item at a time! Basically, for the mayority of the gameplay (= hard work at the ranch)it's:

A - interact/open/talk/... It's for actions that don't require an item

B - Put item Back

Z - Take out item/use item (or swing remote gently forward)

There are more things, ofcourse, but these are the more important ones.

The motion controls are the same for every item, so don't expect a different control method for using the axe, watercan, scythe or planting seeds.

If you loved the first HM's, you'll probably love this. It's very slow-paced, you still get an introductionary sequence that last aaaaages, and it really feels like Harvest Moon, more so than It's a Wonderful Life IMO. And it's sickenly cute at times.

This is definitely not everyones cup of tea. It's is mine, though. :wink:

I wish Wii had demos!!!

Hmm, I'm not sure Harvest Moon is a game that lends itself well to a demo.

Anyway, given the Wii-version is as good as identical to the GC-version, you could always get that one for cheap... if you have a mean to play a NSTC-Gamecube game, that is.

Oh, and the latest word outthere is that Tree of Happiness is expected on European shores around autumn 2008. Don't know if that's old news or not, but here it is anyway.

Oh, and the latest word outthere is that Tree of Happiness is expected on European shores around autumn 2008. Don't know if that's old news or not, but here it is anyway.

Awesome news , let's hope it doesn't suffer any further delays like this game has.

As for this game , despite the largely negative post by me above , after a few more hours with it this really is beginning to win me over. Definately a grower (see what I did there ;) ).

Still struggling to get the motion controls to work effectively , but TBH I am more than happy using the 'Z' button combined with '+' for accuracy , or is it 'R' as Terry keeps telling me :heh: .