NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

Wii Shortages 'Could Last Months'

Nintendo says there is no end in sight of retail shortages of its Wii console.

Although the machine launched five months ago units remain scarce at retail. Over 2.5 million units are estimated to have been sold in North America and a further 2 million in Europe.

Speaking to Game Theory Podcast, Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo’s VP of marketing and corporate affairs said, “There is a lot going on behind the scenes in terms of working on what we are producing and the numbers continue to rise but the product is so very popular that we may see a supply / demand situation last for some time.”

She added, “We are at absolute maximum production and doing everything we can. The number of units that we have been able to produce has far exceeded our hardware production in the past and the production levels of a lot of our competitors but demand continues to be really high. People are being really diligent about working with retailers to locate one but we are cognisent of the fact that a lot of fans are not able to get their hands on one yet. We are asking them to be patient and to know that we are working on this as fast as we can.”

Kaplan was asked if, given the high demand, Nintendo could have priced the machine at $50 higher than the $250. She said, “There was definitely that possibility. There are so many people who are very much liking the system and while the price that it’s at is very much mass market we probably could have folded at a higher price but I think that it was always Nintendo’s intent to make it a product that is appealing to the mass market.”

This week’s Game Theory Podcast – co-hosted by Next Generation’s editor-in-chief Colin Campbell and PC Gamer columnist Gary Whitta - also looks at the Game Media Awards, Use Boll’s 9/11 ‘joke’, core console systems, online gaming in China and the Guitar Hero franchise.

NextGen.BIZ

Finding a Wii is still like finding gold in your back garden, ahh the casuals they want their Wii Sports! :)

So, again, why release Mario Galaxy now when people can't get them? When sales slow down throw out a big game and get everyone buying it again. Nows the time to get people buying the crap 3rd party games. Crap for us who have a Wii but good business sense actually.

Most of the shops round here seem to get new stock once a week.. and as soon as they have them there sold.

Nintendo should realy get there arse's in gear and up production.

Jeez, GAME and GAMEPLAY only just got stock in yesterday and it's all gone already.

Maybe the delay is because Nintendo staff dressed as Link are rowing out shipments directly from the factory to their destinations in little King of Red Lions type boats?

Or there are several people with shipments to deliver but they insist on playing the Ocarina to warp to their destinations,and refuse to travel any other way(apart from horse and cart,but when they reach water they shoot an arrow hoping it will freeze a part of the water to travel on).

Nntendo has sold / delivered 6.5 million units in five months, which means roughly 16 million units in a year. If they ramp production up by, say, 50 percent, they are actually manufacturing about same amount Wiis than Sony did manufacture PS2's during its peak time. Good number for first year.

Most of the shops round here seem to get new stock once a week.. and as soon as they have them there sold.

It's not them, the demand is too high.

Bloodey hell, people complained about the Cube not selling and now that the Wii is kicking arse people still moan!

It's not them, the demand is too high.

Bloodey hell, people complained about the Cube not selling and now that the Wii is kicking arse people still moan!

Im not moaning... im just saying it would be for there own good... the more they make the more they can sell. We all know that some people will get sick of waiting!

Im not moaning... im just saying it would be for there own good... the more they make the more they can sell. We all know that some people will get sick of waiting!

They know that, they can only go so fast though.

I think the article mentions that they're already producing as many as they can though? It's not like they can just open up a new factory somewhere out of nowhere and start producing there too...

And boy am I glad I got mine on launch (well, a day earlier even). =O

If any of you guys want one I can sell them to you. For a little profit of course.

I never realised how bad the shortages were, seeing as i have my Wii it never really bothered me. Nintendo are working hard to get the supplys to shops, but when demand is this high, it'd gonna be sold out for ages. I wish they'd make some damn games for it though, i could sell it for quite a bit probably!!

We can only hope it lasts for more months to come. This shows that there is still demand. And to think that only 1 of the biggest games is out yet goes to show you that there is more to come.

Any organised manufacturer really shouldn't be sitting there 5 months down the line with cronic product shortages saying "Gee, we ARE doing the best we can." Somebody somewhere needs to get their arse in gear.

Jeez, GAME and GAMEPLAY only just got stock in yesterday and it's all gone already.

Maybe the delay is because Nintendo staff dressed as Link are rowing out shipments directly from the factory to their destinations in little King of Red Lions type boats?

Too busy having money fights more like LOLZ

Nah, they're probably all to busy posing for "It prints money!" GIFs.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/7273/1/Over_6.5_Million_Wii_Around_the_World!

Nintendo Sales | Over 6.5 Million Wii Around the World!

Quick News - Nintendo of America's Perrin Kaplan has stated more than 2.5 million Wii systems have been sold in the US, 2 million in Europe and Media Create has the Wii at 2 million in Japan. No wonder shortages are likely to not be resolved any time soon!

:shock: :bowdown:

If Nintendo invest in expanding production capacity now they'll have too much when demand starts decreasing... This can take some time.

A price drop is really far off now, by the way.

Sign in to follow this