N-Europe

Retailers on the ripoff trail?

Excelle

Is it me, or is everyone (bar Amazon) cashing in on the Wii shortages by making the Wii available ONLY in bundles? I saw a sign outside Virgin in Telford on Thursday, saying that they had Wii in stock, but only in the bundles listed (you had to buy at least one game with the console, at a premium). Are they taking the piss?

Then I looked on http://www.wii-consoles.co.uk, and it seems that a lot of places - GAME, Gamestation, Dixons, Comet - are only releasing the Wiis they have available if you're prepared to forked out an extra £40-£100 for the privilege, rather than shopping around for cheaper prices for your games.

The cheeky buggers. I'll be buying my console from Amazon when I get one around my birthday, I'm not being railroaded into some corporate blackmail :angry:

just remember the evil dooers and never shop with them ever again. Those that support terrorism or harbour terrorists are likely to be invaded as are those with oil.

We need to sticky this list and shame them FOREVER

The axis of evil:

Game Group (GAME, GAMEPLAY)

Gamestation.co.uk

Dixons Group (Dixons, Currys, PCWorld)

ChoicesUk

ToysRus

Supporters of terrorism:

Ubisoft

The alliance of the willing:

Amazon

Play

The great Satan

NINTENDO

Resist thy marketing of the nintendo.... RESIST

This annoys me quite alot as well but i managed to avoid having to buy a bundle at launch thankfully :)

Blockbuster offered me a preorder for the machine, £180 no harm. However when it got to collecting to the machine on launch day, they told us that we could only have it IF we bought two games as well. Thankfully because of the pre order for the machine beforehand (JUST the machine and nothing else) this made what Blockbuster were doing illegal and once the store manager was told, the Wii was swiftly given over without the purchase of two extra games.

Always nice to feel like you have gotten one over on a greedy business trying to rip you off :)

when went to pre-order my wii a month before launch at zellers (a canadian department store) (and i only pre-ordered there because it was the only place left with availiable pre-orders) i was forced to also pre-order rayman and excite truck. though they were ok games i still felt a little ripped off

I'd say its partially the profit factor, and partially to try and ween (??) off ebayers who are just looking to buy and sell on.

LOL. No way man, this has nothing to do with Ebayers. This just has everything to do with Game using scummy tactics. They're no better than the Ebay scalpers, in fact, I'd say they're WORSE for taking advantage when they can easily afford not to.

I'm actually considering reporting them to trading standards and Nintendo myself even though I have no plans to buy a Wii from Game.

LOL. No way man, this has nothing to do with Ebayers. This just has everything to do with Game using scummy tactics. They're no better than the Ebay scalpers, in fact, I'd say they're WORSE for taking advantage when they can easily afford not to.

I'm actually considering reporting them to trading standards and Nintendo myself even though I have no plans to buy a Wii from Game.

The thing is, they will never force you to buy it in a bundle. They know they can't. They know they can strongly encourage you and maybe even try and pressurise you but they will never give you marching orders if you want it solus.

But look at it from their POV, they have higher management coming down on them saying "why is your attachment rate so low" blah blah blah. At a recent regional meeting the deputy managers were told "if your stores pre-owned doesn't improve either you get fired, or all your staff do". Its a dog eat dog world.

And ebayers have some say in it all. We've had a few people asking if they can return their PS3s just because they didn't sell well on ebay.

Besides, is an extra £20 for a game going to break anyones bank? Why buy just the console? Wheres the fun?

(ps Trading Standards are a blanket company. In other words they're there to make you feel safe but they don't really do anything. At the end of the day most disputes are their words vs yours and theres no way to prove anything)

The thing is, they will never force you to buy it in a bundle. They know they can't. They know they can strongly encourage you and maybe even try and pressurise you but they will never give you marching orders if you want it solus.

But look at it from their POV, they have higher management coming down on them saying "why is your attachment rate so low" blah blah blah. At a recent regional meeting the deputy managers were told "if your stores pre-owned doesn't improve either you get fired, or all your staff do". Its a dog eat dog world.

And ebayers have some say in it all. We've had a few people asking if they can return their PS3s just because they didn't sell well on ebay.

Besides, is an extra £20 for a game going to break anyones bank? Why buy just the console? Wheres the fun?

(ps Trading Standards are a blanket company. In other words they're there to make you feel safe but they don't really do anything. At the end of the day most disputes are their words vs yours and theres no way to prove anything)

If you try and buy from Game's website, they're forcing you. There's no option of just getting one Wii and leaving it at that there. It's not really just my word against theirs either, the proof is on Game's website.

When I bought my 360, I just bought the console, and then I got Graw second hand on the cheap like an hour later from another store.

Game tried to pressure me to buy a bundle at launch, they didn't succeed but 2 weeks later when extra wiimotes and nunchucks were like rockin horse poo i saw 3 wiimotes and 2 chucks behind the counter, i paid by card and didn't realise they'ds charged me £4 extra (above rrp ) each wiimote and £3 extra each chuck. When i went back the manager told me it was because they were scarce and if i didn't like it '' Try E-bay '' I complained to Game head office and to inform Nintendo and never got a reply back from either.

I have never set foot in game since and never will

Yes, when I tried to return a game in perfect condition a few years ago, they had their policy of being able to return it with no fuss. When I tried that, they got really bitchy with me, and I had to bug them about it before I got my money back.

Poor show, Game. Poor show.

If you try and buy from Game's website, they're forcing you.

The website is a different company, so I'll leave it there.

Game tried to pressure me to buy a bundle at launch, they didn't succeed but 2 weeks later when extra wiimotes and nunchucks were like rockin horse poo i saw 3 wiimotes and 2 chucks behind the counter, i paid by card and didn't realise they'ds charged me £4 extra (above rrp ) each wiimote and £3 extra each chuck. When i went back the manager told me it was because they were scarce and if i didn't like it '' Try E-bay '' I complained to Game head office and to inform Nintendo and never got a reply back from either.

I have never set foot in game since and never will

Game charge more than the RRP for the remote and nunchuck. Have done since launch. I know its shit but theres a reason one of the 'R's stands for 'reccomended'

Yes, when I tried to return a game in perfect condition a few years ago, they had their policy of being able to return it with no fuss. When I tried that, they got really bitchy with me, and I had to bug them about it before I got my money back.

Poor show, Game. Poor show.

"When I tried that..." does that relate to "a few years ago" or recently? As the policy has changed.

Game charge more than the RRP for the remote and nunchuck. Have done since launch. I know its shit but theres a reason one of the 'R's stands for 'reccomended'

Yep and the other R stands for '' RIP OFF ''

Yep and the other R stands for '' RIP OFF ''

How can an 'R' stand for two words?

Anyway. If you don't like it go somewhere else. Don't go moaning at the staff (not that I think you were, I just mean in the future) they don't make the prices up.

If you try and buy from Game's website, they're forcing you. There's no option of just getting one Wii and leaving it at that there. It's not really just my word against theirs either, the proof is on Game's website.

When I bought my 360, I just bought the console, and then I got Graw second hand on the cheap like an hour later from another store.

Have you even asked them about it?

Anyway, doesn't it cost £20 to send an 'official' complaint to trading standards?

How can an 'R' stand for two words?

Anyway. If you don't like it go somewhere else. Don't go moaning at the staff (not that I think you were, I just mean in the future) they don't make the prices up.

R can stand for even more than 2 words if you go to game.

If you'd have read my post i said i haven't and never will set foot in game again so how can i moan at the staff in the future ? unless you get touchy Game jobsworths reading a forum like this.

Under the Nazis, a lot of the prison guards said they were just doing their job.

Great answer lol

The website is a different company, so I'll leave it there.

"When I tried that..." does that relate to "a few years ago" or recently? As the policy has changed.

- Yes, they may be a different company, but they're still using the Game brand to sell their goods, and Game aren't exactly forcing them to change it.

- The policy changed since I tried to take it back, but it doesn't matter. It was Game I tried to take it back to, and they kicked up a big fuss about it.

Have you even asked them about it?

Anyway, doesn't it cost £20 to send an 'official' complaint to trading standards?

I don't need to ask about it. If they were offering just the console, they'd have it on the site available for purchase just like the bundles.

As for the official complaint, hmm, I don't know. Either way, Game need to be brought down a peg or two for their scummy tactics. They're on my boycott list anyway.

Under the Nazis, a lot of the prison guards said they were just doing their job.

Hahaha, nice one..

I'm pretty happy with Game Mania - no overpricing, only RRP, product by product policy, refunds or tradings on games not older than a week - if you ask nicely. We've got some good stores, but I seem to get that British complaining a lot lately. All British stores seem to ripp-off their costumers. Wich I find, very, very odd. I'm not from England (sobà but I wouldn't want to be a games buyer over there. We're never required to buy more than we want to. We get pre-orders in the first-come, first serve basis (not on launch day, first preorder, first to receive) and we have nice, friendly guys behind the counter that I know well enough to give me a free memory card 365 (that came with a second-hand GameCube, but was not in the price of the actual GameCube - wich meant it was free for the person buying the GameCube. I just got it).

No, nothing to complain here. Like DCK says, it's a British thing. Odd, odd.