• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Top Posters In This Topic

For me Arctic Monkeys are pretty much the best band of this generation.

Muse i think some individual songs of theirs are pretty decent, but when I've heard an album together in full with all the inbetweeny bits they have I just get bored.

Each to their own and all that but their are plenty of bands that are better than the Artic Monkeys Imo and as for Muse if we are talking about Absolution here - as Stuwii referenced - then it only has one 'inbetweeny bit' that being Interlude which is exactly what it is, apart from that, it's straight into the next track with only the second-long gaps you get with most albums.

-----------------------------

Bjork : I listened to Debut last night in full and I enjoyed it a lot, hearing both Human Behaviour and Violently Happy in album form only endeared them more to me; I also enjoyed There's More To Life Than This due to the different way in which it was recorded and Like Someone In Love which was just a really nice track. :)

Dry gets better and better with each listen. :heart:

Edited by S.C.G

I don't get why Safe Trip Home by Dido was really badly received. It sort of felt it was given the unanimous vote that it wasn't to be spoken about - I've never heard anyone ever talk about it.

I personally think it's OK/good/great. Not as good as her debut No Angel, but still really worth listening to.

---------

I just got Lateralus by Tool.

lateralus.jpg

I love it. Metal that actually sounds dark, but not in a shite way.

I don't get why Safe Trip Home by Dido was really badly received. It sort of felt it was given the unanimous vote that it wasn't to be spoken about - I've never heard anyone ever talk about it.

I personally think it's OK/good/great. Not as good as her debut No Angel, but still really worth listening to.

It just makes me so bored, the second it comes on. I'm uninspired to ever listen to it.

One day I might, but until that day, it will be skipped over. Too many songs that sound the same.

Each to their own and all that but their are plenty of bands that are better than the Artic Monkeys Imo and as for Muse if we are talking about Absolution here - as Stuwii referenced - then it only has one 'inbetweeny bit' that being Interlude which is exactly what it is, apart from that, it's straight into the next track with only the second-long gaps you get with most albums.

Bjork : I listened to Debut last night in full and I enjoyed it a lot, hearing both Human Behaviour and Violently Happy in album form only endeared them more to me; I also enjoyed There's More To Life Than This due to the different way in which it was recorded and Like Someone In Love which was just a really nice track. :)

Dry gets better and better with each listen. :heart:

On a side note, is Interlude not a sort of homage to Adagio For Strings?

I can't listen to Kid A by Radiohead.

I always thought it was my speakers, but on some very bass-heavy songs, a horrid crachling/fuzziness appears. And this basically runs throughout the entirety of Kid A. (the album)

Tried my headphones, same thing. Then I thought it might be the mp3 itself, so I put the Cd into my compute,r and played it from that. Same.

I need to hear it on CD officially, but my walkman has died completely. The fuzziness on every beat can't be on the album. It's awful.

bumholes.

EDIT: Calm down, using my sister's Cd Player is fine. The fuzziness is definitely not meant to be there.

I thought Lungs had maybe lost its charm for me as yesterday I only listened to the tracks I wanted to on my iPod, those were Rabbit Heart - Raise it up!, Howl and Drumming Song.

But today I listened to the album in full through headphones and it rejuvinated my love for it, I think it's much stronger as an album but I'll refrain from listening to it for a little while now as it'll be that much sweeter when I come back to it. :smile:

This is what I've been listening to today:

Found it a really long time ago and completely forgot about it until I remembered it earlier. Love the whole subdued atmosphere that the song exudes. Suits me well at this particular time.

And Paj, I condone your recent listening of Imogen Heap. Really like her. Some great moving songs.

As I said, I've had Speak For Yourself for ages, but only passingly liked it and a few songs off it. This new one is making me revisit her old album(s). :)

Currently working my way through all the albums nominated for the Mercury Award.

I already know and love with all my heart La Roux by La Roux, Lungs by Florence & The Machine and Two Suns by Bat For Lashes. Also got ahold of Sea Sew by Lisa Hannigan, but need to sit down with it properly.

Listening to Speech Therapy by Speech Debelle for the second time, really like it. After her and Lisa another time, I'll concentrate on the other acts like Friendly Fires and Kasabian.

Lungs by Florence + The Machine is one of my musical highlights of the year. Dog Days Are Over and Blinding are so good. As is Rabbit Heart. Oh, and Drumming Song.

Cosmic Love is so incredibly worth it too.

Basically, the whole album is stunning (apart from Kiss With A Fist, which is horribly out of place...)

Lungs by Florence + The Machine is one of my musical highlights of the year. Dog Days Are Over and Blinding are so good. As is Rabbit Heart. Oh, and Drumming Song.

Cosmic Love is so incredibly worth it too.

Basically, the whole album is stunning (apart from Kiss With A Fist, which is horribly out of place...)

Although, technically, it fits perfectly within the album. It's just not as magical and mystical and interesting as the rest.

Although, technically, it fits perfectly within the album. It's just not as magical and mystical and interesting as the rest.

I agree with this tbf... though it's still good as a single though maybe not as representative of the album as say Drumming Song?

-------------------------------

Moar CD's arrived in the post today!

Bjork - Medula, Post and Volta.

Tori - From The Choirgirl Hotel, Strange Little Girls, American Doll Posse and Scarlet's Walk.

Oh and I just got Drawing Restraint 9 for 99p off eBay. :D

It's probably my second favourite album this year. Quicken the Heart by Maximo Park is at the top for me.

It's probably my second favourite album this year. Quicken the Heart by Maximo Park is at the top for me.

I love Quicken the Heart :) but I think for me A Woman A Man Walked By is probably my favourite album this year... though I need to listen to it more to be sure really, Lungs is certainly a strong contender as well

Edited by S.C.G
ninja gender-title reassignment

Great ones. All of them.

---

Been listening to a lot of Emiliana Torrini. She seems to be best known for Jungle Drum, which was used in Grey's Anatomy, and was a really random no.1 around Europe, but never mentioned here. You might know her from Two Towers, in which she performed "Gollum's Song", which was meant to be by Bjork, but she got pregnant, and so gave it up.

----

So yeah. I listened to the album by The Invisible that has been nominated for the Mercury prize, and it was...so...boring. Drab drab dull. I'm sure it's profound if you listen hard enough, but it was uninspiring to say the least. It won't win.

Anyone listened to Jack Penate?

Yeah... I've heard him on the radio, not through choice, had to wikipedia him to be sure of who he is and really... he's ok but mostly forgettable from what I've heard of him. :/

Yeah, I'm just listening to his new album on Spotify since it was mentioned on their blog. You said it, forgettable.

I'm trying to find new music to listen to while at work. Although I keep getting bored and putting Foo Fighters and Mama Cass on. :heh:

Yeah, I'm just listening to his new album on Spotify since it was mentioned on their blog. You said it, forgettable.

I'm trying to find new music to listen to while at work. Although I keep getting bored and putting Foo Fighters and Mama Cass on. :heh:

Exactly... I don't hate him as such, I'll listen to him if he happens to be on the radio but yeah, nothing amazing; hmm when you say you're looking for new music, do you mean recent or music that's new to you? Idm suggesting some stuff if you like...

Either way, as you've discovered, Foo Fighters are a good fall-back plan because you can always rely on their music to be enjoyable Imo. :)

Music that is new to me. I don't mind if it's recent or not. Suggest away, I'm always up for giving stuff a try. (Although I am quite picky :D ) I've only got Spotify at hand.

The problem with the Foo Fighters is that it a) makes me want to rock round the office screaming me head off, and b) makes me want to grow a beard like David Grohl's perfect specimen. :heh:

You should give Fight Like Apes a go. I really can't recommend them enough.

Most of their songs are pretty jokey (eg. The song This is like that time Jody didn't know what Cunnilinugus was), but they have a few really really good songs, like Battlestations, Lumpy Dough and Tie Me Up With Jackets.