NEurope

Well the public have to get the ideas from somewhere. If the X-Factor was replaced with something which had a more punk-rock influence, for example, would it still do well. I'd say so. I think you're underestimating the amount of influence that shows like X-Factor have on the public.

oh yeah i've no doubt it does have influence, its on prime time TV. But like if it wasn't there, there would still be some other rubbish covers ripping the complete arse out of the original song.

But people actually like the x-factor songs. We all pride ourselves in this country, by the fact that we have freedom to chose. ^^

I don't mean to bitch, but I don't think its fair to bitch at people for liking what's popular - its not harming anyone.

(flinky that wasn't necessarily aimed at you, just how I feel myself :smile:)

It's also telling people that X-Factor isn't an easy route to the Christmas chart and hence the end of Simon Cowell's big Christmas payday.

But it's clear that you love the show far too much to see it's detrimental effect on what's already a ruined music chart.

"But it's clear I love the show to much".

How about you stop telling me what I do and don't love? I loathed all three of the finalists this year, and I only watch the show to see if I find someone who I feel I would buy an albums worth of music of. Tell me, does that mean I love the show to much? Fuck off being so arrogant, please.

As raining said, if you're that bothered about it getting to number one, then blame the public, not the show. We're the ones that buy it.We don't have to, but we do obviously because we want to listen to it. (We being the general public).

Well the public have to get the ideas from somewhere. If the X-Factor was replaced with something which had a more punk-rock influence, for example, would it still do well. I'd say so. I think you're underestimating the amount of influence that shows like X-Factor have on the public.

I agree.

That's why I loved this year's line-up, especially Diana, Rachel and Ruth.

They all represented something different from the X Factor norm. Diana I was sick of by the end, but she still represented "quirky". Rachel, while potentially just another Winehouse-clone, showed she had a love of music by choosing challenging songs for herself, when she didn't need to. Ruth was feisty/rocky etc.

That said, the final 3 showed that the public still just wants a pleasant distraction in their ears.

I literally don't know why I bother to keep up with this thread.

To be honest, it's pretty lame now. I miss the days we used to talk about...rock, or something.

To be honest, it's pretty lame now. I miss the days we used to talk about...rock, or something.

QFT, I'm always open to listening to something new that I might like but I still know what I love and that's mainly Rock / Indie. ::shrug:

QFT, I'm always open to listening to something new that I might like but I still know what I love and that's mainly Rock / Indie. ::shrug:

Yeees.

And by Indie, or Rock, we do not mean Scouting for Girls.

Or the Ting-Tings.

people on here actually like rock music?

:P

Apparently so. :smile:

What the fuck people?

If you all want to discuss music you love, then you know..discuss it! It's pretty damn simple.

I was thinking the other day how I miss coming in here and reading a post by The Bard where he's completely shat all over my previous post. In an odd way I really liked the heated discussions.

Personally I don't mind the discussion not being about rock, lets face it there's loads of other genres out there. I'm just baffled by some of the discussion.

Half the problem is you post something here and you get battered for liking a certain type of music because... Well you then get a whole bunch of clichés.

Music is personal to people and actually sharing something you enjoy is meant to make you feel better. (IMO)

In here you get spat at in the face for recommending something or saying you enjoyed sommat.

Yeees.

And by Indie, or Rock, we do not mean Scouting for Girls.

Or the Ting-Tings.

Exactly, by Rock I mean Foo's, Biffy Clyro, Metallica, Queens of the stone age etc and by Indie I mean Killers, Silversun Pickups etc.

Half the problem is you post something here and you get battered for liking a certain type of music because... Well you then get a whole bunch of clichés.

Music is personal to people and actually sharing something you enjoy is meant to make you feel better. (IMO)

In here you get spat at in the face for recommending something or saying you enjoyed sommat.

qft.

There isnt a need to call someone a tosser/stupid/brainless/whatever, because they like a genre of music.

If you want to discuss your taste please feel free to do so, I'm pretty sure most of us can be mature and not throw insults at each other :smile:

/hippie

So anyone like Avenged Sevenfold?

Been pretty much listening to Brompton Cocktail all day, fantastic song. What is even more awesome, is that my metal disliking friend actually enjoys them thanks to Rock Band 2. God bless you Harmonix, if that's the only thing you get right.

Hopefully they tour here next year, saw them when they supported Maiden in the summer and they were awesome.

Been pretty much listening to Brompton Cocktail all day, fantastic song. What is even more awesome, is that my metal disliking friend actually enjoys them thanks to Rock Band 2. God bless you Harmonix, if that's the only thing you get right.

Hopefully they tour here next year, saw them when they supported Maiden in the summer and they were awesome.

I remember one of my friends linking me to a YT video of theirs, I cant for the love of me remember what song it was, but it was pretty awesome.

Anyone recommend a good avenged sevenfold album to start with, for a n00b like myself?

I don't mean to bitch, but I don't think its fair to bitch at people for liking what's popular - its not harming anyone.

I agree with this. For example, my mom likes boybands like Take That and Boyzone and stuff I can't stand but if it makes her happy who am I to judge?

But as far as Hallelujah goes; I plan to purchase the Buckley version (because I really should own it anyway) but whatever happens, happens.

Personally I think the self titled album is the best, though City of Evil is also very good.

What is even more awesome, is that my metal disliking friend actually enjoys them thanks to Rock Band 2. God bless you Harmonix, if that's the only thing you get right.

I like them but I must admit I only really started listening to them when I heard their songs in Rock Band and I say listening I mean singing, or trying to >> but yeah I don't mind listening to the odd song or two by them, what's on RB/RB2 is pretty good. :smile:

But... I still enjoy singing along to the Foo's the most, Colour and the Shape, best album Harmonix put up there for download on RB imo. :)

I agree with the sentiment that people should actually discuss the music they like, it doesn't have to be one singular conversation. Some people can be discussing the mertis of The Pussycat Dolls career, while others can be discussing how awesome Bloody Beetroots were last night etc.

It's just a simple case of using the quote button to show what you're referencing in your post.

I think the ironic thing is the ones that discuss people like Britney aren't the ones that throw insults at other people for posting what they like, it's the other way round.

Anyway.

--

I heard Michelle Branch's album has been moved up to spring next year, rather than summer. I'm rather excited, cosidering I love the music she writes. She has a certain charm about her.

I think the ironic thing is the ones that discuss people like Britney aren't the ones that throw insults at other people for posting what they like, it's the other way round.

Anyway.

--

I heard Michelle Branch's album has been moved up to spring next year, rather than summer. I'm rather excited, cosidering I love the music she writes. She has a certain charm about her.

I was about to say that I always liked "1000 Miles", but then realised that's Vanessa Carlton. Who's Michelle Branch again?

I was about to say that I always liked "1000 Miles", but then realised that's Vanessa Carlton. Who's Michelle Branch again?

She did "Goodbye to You", "All I Wanted" etc. The Spirit room had such a charm about it, even though I don't listen to it massively it's probably one of my favourite albums.

Probably a stab in the dark, but you would probably like the second album more than the first. It's a little more...mellow. I love "Breathe" to bits, it's absolutely brilliant.

The main reason I don't really post on here is that I like keeping music I like all to myself.

Yup, I'm selfish like that. :smile:

Anyways, that Top 10 I posted would probably been a bit different if my MacBook hadn't gone all wack. I could have used the 'Date Added' sorting to see what came out this year, otherwise everything just blurs into one.

Just looked at my Last.fm account and apparently I listen to 29 tracks per day. That's 19703 this year. And that doesn't include my new laptop or my CD player. :heh:

The main reason I don't really post on here is that I like keeping music I like all to myself.

Yup, I'm selfish like that. :smile:

Anyways, that Top 10 I posted would probably been a bit different if my MacBook hadn't gone all wack. I could have used the 'Date Added' sorting to see what came out this year, otherwise everything just blurs into one.

Just looked at my Last.fm account and apparently I listen to 29 tracks per day. That's 19703 this year. And that doesn't include my new laptop or my CD player. :heh:

Try 76488 plays, just from iTunes (occasionaly have to use Cd player, but not enough to affect the count massively), in 18 months.

But then my scrobbler has a tendency to scrobble random song twice.

Try 76488 plays, just from iTunes (occasionaly have to use Cd player, but not enough to affect the count massively), in 18 months.

But then my scrobbler has a tendency to scrobble random song twice.

That's obscene. I am stretched for time as it is. Sometimes I get in a sneaky tune at work and there's no point at Uni. Annoyingly my Scrobble feature for my iPod keeps buggering up...although I don't think that would put me even remotely close to your count. :heh: