NEurope

Volta by Bjork is beautiful... :heart: so many good tracks and really well produced too, my favourite part of the album though has to be Declare Independence...

"Raise your flag! (Higher, higher!)"

I just absolutely love it :) listening to the album again now, just because... :D

I've listened to Daisy at least 5 times now. It's... still growing... but I feel I can comfortably say it's their worst album yet. There's too much weaving of 'symbols' between the songs (boats, beds, fire, stones) that is too obvious and to no gainful end. They rely on repeating choruses/verses more than I'd like, and there's probably only one song where Jesse gets anywhere close to the self-loathing rambling that he ought to be famous for (that "I am the mountain that was moved~" one).

More than any other album (besides arguably YFW and The Smiths,) there seems to be a lot of influences pouring out of these songs. From Modest Mouse and Nirvana to more contemporary Manchester Orchestra and, dare I say, Biffy Clyro and Lost Prophets? Less of the latter, for sure.

I hear that BN wanted to focus on recording more gig-friendly songs (by writing a 1 and a half minute song and then just repeating all the verses at some point), yet tehy also want to tour less (even though tehy've got something like 30 US gigs planned before teh end of this year). Personally I think their best songs are probably the least gig-friendly ones, yet the most emotionally strong ones.

So yeah. Definitely their worst album so far.

Anyone have any favourite mash-ups?

... anything by Legion of Doom, really :) banging bass, and a core that's so hard that diamonds melt within earshot.

Good angry-stare music.

Yes, I basically only ever mention the two above stated bands along with MWY. Shrug :P

Awesome - Undisclosed Desires by Muse is up on their website. Very different to anything else we've heard off the new album from Muse at all, actually, but still has the same Musey feel. Seems like this albums Invincible but without "Instant Radio Hit!" written all over it.

Anyway, I like it. It's a nice song.

Anyone have any favourite mash-ups?

I have many, can't beat a good mash up.

Outkast Vs Rage Against the Machine - Fucking energy bomb

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Motorhead vs Gorillaz - Works rather well

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

White Stripes vs The Prodigy - Bang.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

And I'll throw in the epic Rick Astley vs Nirvana for kicks and giggles

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

So - any thoughts on the Mercury Prize, forum?

Florence looks to take it (which I'd be fine with. Lungs was unexpectedly great) but I'd kinda like to see Friendly Fires pick up the award too. They're refreshingly poppy and exciting at a time when rock is increasingly moribund.

Im rooting for Friendly Fires, although partly because they come from my town and Im biased (When they played Photobooth at their homecoming gig they introduced it with 'this song's about Woolworths :D) But anyways yeah, great album to dance to, and great fun live too.

I agree with Paj and think Fur and Gold is much better than Two Planets, though Id be happy seeing BFL win. She didn't impress me so much live as the other nominees I've seen, although then it is an album prize I suppose.

Florence would deserve it too... that girl can sing!! And Glasvegas would be a nice outside choice, even if the album doesn't live up to the utter brilliance of Daddy's Gone or Cheating Heart...

Loads of good albums up this year anyways, It'll be interesting!

I forgot Glasvegas was nominated, since I got that album a year ago. I like it. If it's a bit samey.

You've heard it all before, but Ys by Joanna Newsom is the most vivid, emotive and sincerely impassioned thing I've ever heard.

"Come on home, the poppies are all grown knee-deep by now

Blossoms all have fallen, and the pollen ruins the plow

Peonies nod in the breeze and while they wetly bow

With hydrocephalitic listlessness ants mop up-a their brow

And everything with wings is restless, aimless, drunk and dour

The butterflies and birds collide at hot, ungodly hours

And my clay-colored motherlessness rangily reclines

Come on home, now! All my bones are dolorous with vines"

I often think that Florence could do with a bit more subtlety in her vocals, actually. It;s very impressive when it works but not that nuanced. Still, she's young and clearly talented.

Great night tonight. My friend Joseph came round mid afternoon and gave me a spare ticket for the Explosions In The Sky gig I thought I'd missed out on. Such a nice surprise. It was a really good set, too. They never stopped playing all night- merely moving from one song to another in a steady stream of sound. Beautiful, beautiful music by brilliant musicians. :)

My friend have told me that she has a version of Umbrella..

And at first i didn't believe in him.. but not after I have actually seen

it's music videos at youtube...

although I do love Rihanna's version.. but she is still great...

Although McFly do a far greater version;

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

(whether you think its still crap is one thing, but its better than the goddamn original :heh:)

I keep meaning to check out Dasiy actually as Ellmeister keeps pestering me. Checked out a bit of Manchester Orchestra yesterday but I was working and needed something a bit more upbeat but like what I heard. Also dabbled in Friendly Fires and would like to check out more :)

I much prefer Umbrella to Pon De Replay, and her other shiter songs.

But with that said... it's still terribly bland :/

------------------------------------------

Hmm I listened to Drawing Restraint 9 by Bjork today, awkward... it's good for a soundtrack but I don't rate it anywhere near as highly as I'd rate her 'proper' albums.

Although McFly do a far greater version;

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

(whether you think its still crap is one thing, but its better than the goddamn original :heh:)

I keep meaning to check out Dasiy actually as Ellmeister keeps pestering me. Checked out a bit of Manchester Orchestra yesterday but I was working and needed something a bit more upbeat but like what I heard. Also dabbled in Friendly Fires and would like to check out more :)

I quite enjoyed that cover. How sickening.

In other news, jsut put a whole £3 on Friendly Fires to win the Mercury prize :D 8 / 1 odds...

GIVE THIS A LISTEN MUSE THE RESISTANCE TRACK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wshYFYSufR4

Now that's more like it! :) heres the embed for anyone who can't be bothered to click the link...

Pretty decent track overall, very enjoyable, I look forward to hearing it as part of the album though.

I was still left cold by that. I can't describe why but its just...so lifeless I suppose. The double singing parts sounded so amateur, it plodded along and that Bellamy kid was quite nasal.

I quite enjoyed that cover. How sickening.

McFly are alright. Under-rated I say :heh:

Other than the brief two seconds that sounded like 'Slow Hands' by Interpol it was rather meh.

Again, its just all over the place and Muse can do so much better than that. What the hell happened? It sounds like a Green Day tribute band.

Other than the brief two seconds that sounded like 'Slow Hands' by Interpol it was rather meh.

Again, its just all over the place and Muse can do so much better than that. What the hell happened? It sounds like a Green Day tribute band.

They can do better... yes... but Green Day tribute band? no... they haven't fallen that far... :heh:

Anywho... *listens to Origin of Symmetry* sigh... oh well there's always the next album >.>

Seriously though, I'm not that bothered... I know that I'll still get some enjoyment out of The Resistance, sure it'll be nowhere near as much as I still get out of listening to OOS but still, it's nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be.

McFly are alright. Under-rated I say :heh:

True. I actually used to love them, but then I think that was because I had a thing for this girl who was a big fan. That and I was like 15.

--

In other news, Unnatural Selection sounds alright, though can't say Im overly impressed thus far...

They can do better... yes... but Green Day tribute band? no... they haven't fallen that far... :heh:

Anywho... *listens to Origin of Symmetry* sigh... oh well there's always the next album >.>

Seriously though, I'm not that bothered... I know that I'll still get some enjoyment out of The Resistance, sure it'll be nowhere near as much as I still get out of listening to OOS but still, it's nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be.

I think it was the uppey-downey-ness, the "totally killer" guitar riffs. It was trying to hard to be something different when Muse weren't really broken before.

And I'm sure it'll be a nice middle of the road album, but when people like Stuwii blindly cream at every second of Museli it makes me even more angry at Muse.

True. I actually used to love them, but then I think that was because I had a thing for this girl who was a big fan. That and I was like 15.

They're my pop silliness band which just makes me happy. Although for what many considered to be a Busted clone they've done alright for themselves and I respect them for that.

I think it was the uppey-downey-ness, the "totally killer" guitar riffs. It was trying to hard to be something different when Muse weren't really broken before.

And I'm sure it'll be a nice middle of the road album, but when people like Stuwii blindly cream at every second of Museli it makes me even more angry at Muse.

No I agree, Muse were far from broken before, during OOS they were firing on all four cylinders, ever since then they've still been pretty decent on the whole but each subsequent album has never lived up to their sophomore effort and probably never will, it's something that happens to a lot of bands but it doesn't stop them from being really enjoyable. :)

Still though, I do have mixed feelings about what I've heard from their latest album, some of it I genuinely like whilst some of it is unfortunately passable because I know they are capable of more but never mind, like I say, I'm just planning on enjoying what I can from The Resistance, it'll have a good few decent moments in it I'm sure. :D

Also lol @ Museli :p it's true though and it annoys me too, seriously Stuwii, we know you love Muse - yet you disregard OOS as being 'shit' for some reason. never could work that one out ::shrug: - but really... there's no need to go quite as overboard as you so frequently do over every new track... some of the tracks are good yes but some are really not so good... therefore it's best not to proclaim "omg this is the best Muse song ever!" so frequently perhaps?

Just a thought... :heh:

I know not many care for them but Paramore have announced dates for their UK tour this winter and I have to say I'm rather disappointed. I've seen them twice, both times being great experiences, but this time round their doing big arenas for their shows in the UK. I can understand wanting to grow and the increased fan base but I much preferred the smaller, more intimate concerts they did that I saw them in previously. The SECC is a hell of a big space to fill, especially for them and trying to keep a crowd that fills that space entertained on their library is not going to be easy, even if they build the stage with an ego ramp. I want to go but I don't, if people understand that. Like I said, I much prefer the smaller gigs they did and hope that they'll do a smaller venue at some point. [/blah]

Erm... have been listening to more of the Smiths today. Think I'll go and get some of their albums. Also, Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap is a great song. Might look into getting their album.

I couldn't agree more.

Yesterday I picked up two albums in HMV's 2 For £10 deal, Lostprophets - Liberation Transmission and Taking Back Sunday - Louder Now.

The Losprophets album pretty much was as expected, I'd enjoyed the previous two albums, and purposely missed this one because I thought their direction wasn't what I was hoping it to be. I was right, whilst slightly enjoyable, I'm glad I only spent a fiver on it.

Louder Now on the other hand is a great album, it was a sheer punt, I'd only heard one song previously. But yeah its a good listen if you're into mediocre alt rock/emo bands. Nothing superb, not anything all that original, but some nice music. Love it when you pick something up on a whim and it works out.

Customary video.