N-Europe

Capcom Studio Head Talks Mature Titles, Reusing Engines

Dante

Imagine a free-roaming Mega Man game with the RE4 engine. Wouldn't that be something?? *dreams*

:smile:

Well they did a free roaming Megaman game on N64. Hoping for a sequel. I really want them to release one with Megaman NT characters fighting in the virtual world

I'd like to see them try Okami on Wii. With the current fanbase of the Wii, which are mainly Nintendo fans, it might actually work out. Nintendo fans usually have more appreciation for obscure games if they're good enough.

I'd buy it, anyway :smile:

31713_fbdd0373.jpg

This with more polygons. Please!

Is this that PN03 (or something like that) game?

I think Lost Planet Wii would atualy work really well! I don't think it could handle something like Dead Rising, I would love to see Okami!!

Is this that PN03 (or something like that) game?
Yes :)
I think Lost Planet Wii would atualy work really well! I don't think it could handle something like Dead Rising, I would love to see Okami!!
Thing is... I'd guess when they talk about not porting these engines they are reffering to the very same engine basis, and it's really not worth it, if you ask me.

This should not be about GPU, but CPU; since other next gen consoles are using multi-core CPU's, Capcom had to make these engine's in order to support that; for instance... Dead rising was one of the first games using more than one core in Xenon (X360's CPU).

So for both Dead Rising and Lost Planet Wii is not that suitable for porting not because of lack of single core performance, but lack of multi-core altogether.

It's really a matter of... as a single-core engine is improper for X360 (will only use 1/3 of the CPU cores), a multi-core engine is improper for Wii (or any other Single Core CPU, even if it was to be more powerful).

Rather than porting they'd better start over on-spec for the console.

Agree with Dead Rising never making it to the Wii.....I genuinely believe it could be done with some great 'labour of love' style effort on behalf of the development team (with some comprimises of course), but Capcoms exec would never fund it.

I'd like to see them try Okami on Wii. With the current fanbase of the Wii, which are mainly Nintendo fans, it might actually work out. Nintendo fans usually have more appreciation for obscure games if they're good enough.

I'd buy it, anyway :smile:

I wouldn't agree with that. Sure your average FIFA-only PS2 owner probably wouldn't care for things like Ico and Okami, but why are these games so renowned in the first place? Because people played them, appreciated them, and then spread the word to other gamers.

I'm not having a go, I just like to nip these kind of things in the bud.

Anyway, I'm kind of subconsciously putting off buying Okami because it's such a perfect fit for the Wii. Some part of me simply believes it will happen. I hope its faith is well placed.

No, I don't think so. Ico and Okami were so well appreciated because most reviewers are connaisseurs, and gave much appreciation to those titles. Of course, the titles became cult hits on PS2 as well, contributing to their popularity.

What I was trying to say is that Nintendo fans are more used to play games like Okami ("like Okami" meaning no 'realistic' style) because that's what Nintendo offers them. Therefore, I think a Wii Okami would likely sell (much) better than the PS2 version.

That, and the controls are made for the Wii. In a sense, this game seems to have been made for Wii from day one.

Weren't the folks over at iD talking about something similar? Sounds like a great idea, digging up and converting older tech. That would be great, just stick your dev B-team on a project and let em' pump out all the crazy crap they've always wanted to. Good times for all.