NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Atomic Boo

Pets

I really feel in need of a pet. I dont know what to get right now, whether its a fish or a dog or a lizard i dont really mind. Its something that has been missing from our house that many other people have, and id like something to keep me company in my room, something to look at, something to make you smile.

My family isnt keen on getting a dog because youd have to feed it every day, it poops everywhere, it has a doggy smell. But then I say 'but its a dog, and it makes people feel happier when they get home'.

Id like to have a small schnauzer dog, i saw one in Cyprus, fluffy little lad, looked happy and cute and it didnt look like it would be too hard to look after as it isnt an extremely active dog. The beard makes me laugh!

Polo%20(Groomed)%20010%20small-771386.jpg

StandardSchnauzerSpikerelaxing.JPG

My friend has loads of pets, he has a leapord gecho, a dog, 2 tarantulas, loads of stick insects, a praying mantis, a stag beetle, 2 newts, giant snails and a lobster with a couple of other small fish. Its incredible, i dont know how he manages to handle all of it.

Praying%20Mantis.JPG

Anyway, what pets do you have, would you have any recommendations, and what responsibilities do you have to take.

cats ftw. end of :)

we were going to take someones cat because they were going to live in a foreign country but they decided to take it with them in the end. i was upset at that news because cats are great.

but you cant really say they're the best, because there is no best when it comes to owning pets.

Komodo Dragons. Seriously. They rock. and they're low maintenance, they just feed on people, so you don't need to buy him food.

Cats are great. Although do bear in mind that animals live for quite a few years.. be prepared for that commitment!

If you want some pet that will be fun to play with and stuff, you should get a dog. Yeah, you need to take care of them (feed them multiple times a day, let them outside, go for a walk...), but they are a great company.

Cats are okay, but I find they're a bit more smelly and stuff than our dog. Maybe because we have four, but they pee and poop everywhere (reason they're only allowed in the garage anymore). Plus I find cats to not be all that fun to have around you, since they just sit there and stuff. =P

Other pets we have are a bird and fish, but they're like, just there.

Maybe a rabbit or a hamster or something would be something for you?

I have four pets.

2 cats and 2 dogs

In age order:

Poppie, a 5 year old black and white American short haired cat.

DSC00121.jpg

Mollie, a 2 year old ...weird colours shorted haired cat.

DSC00110.jpg

Sophie, a 1 year old Lurcher/boarder collie cross

Sophie2.jpg

Lillie, our newest pet a 4 month old Labrador cross.

DSC00118.jpg

... I don't know which i prefer to be honest. So i can't help with your wants :D

If you want some pet that will be fun to play with and stuff, you should get a dog. Yeah, you need to take care of them (feed them multiple times a day, let them outside, go for a walk...), but they are a great company.

Cats are okay, but I find they're a bit more smelly and stuff than our dog. Maybe because we have four, but they pee and poop everywhere (reason they're only allowed in the garage anymore). Plus I find cats to not be all that fun to have around you, since they just sit there and stuff. =P

Other pets we have are a bird and fish, but they're like, just there.

Maybe a rabbit or a hamster or something would be something for you?

My sister did have a hamster called toffee, which died, and then she got another called sqeaky and that died. But that was when she was 7 and she's older than me now. I thought Hamsters were okay but tbh id prefer something less popular (ok dogs are popular). As for saying fish are 'just there', i can watch fish for ages and its interesting. My friends lobster is great to look at and feeding him was fun.

Nice pets Jordan :D

Picture062.jpg

my dog penny - shes about the size of your fore-arm and shes 4 years old

My sister did have a hamster called toffee, which died, and then she got another called sqeaky and that died. But that was when she was 7 and she's older than me now. I thought Hamsters were okay but tbh id prefer something less popular (ok dogs are popular). As for saying fish are 'just there', i can watch fish for ages and its interesting. My friends lobster is great to look at and feeding him was fun.

Nice pets Jordan :D

Fish can be fun to watch sometimes I guess (I usually do that when we get new fish or when I feed them), but I prefer having a pet you can play with and hold and hug and stuff. =P

Jordan it looks like theres a wierd lump on Lillie's neck in that picure. I am envious that you have so many pets.

We used to have a cat. He was called Tommy and has a piece of his ear missing, thats all I remember of him.

My brother had a hamster which was an awesome pet. Only problem with that was feeding it, and I think it's death was caused by being fed beer by a friends dad.

I had a goldfish I won from a funfair. Lasted me 4 years, got some disease, bloated up lost scales then died. Flushed it down the toilet.

We've replaced Tommy with our neighbours cat whom you know about because of my posting on here about him and his licking his balls all the time.

I've always wanted a dog.

Picture062.jpg

my dog penny - shes about the size of your fore-arm and shes 4 years old

wow, that's a cool dog.

my cousins have alo got a really cool, hyper cute patterdale terrier

item12507.jpg

I have 3 birds and 1 cat, the cat is more low maintenance then the birds and its a better company imo. Get a female cat, they won't pee around the house, they like lots of company and in general their just like persons.

Fish can be fun to watch sometimes I guess (I usually do that when we get new fish or when I feed them), but I prefer having a pet you can play with and hold and hug and stuff. =P

yeah i know what you mean, its good to have both really. But sometimes when you are thinking and concentrating on fish it's very interesting, as they live in a totally different world to ours. I dont know if it's cruel to keep them in a small bowl/tank or not, because they never show much stress or odd signs, they just hold the same face and swim in exactly the same way every day. Maybe they're actually trying to scream out at you but it never shows. You wonder if they have thought processes and if they realise where they are and how long they've been there etc.

hard to explain, but i guess watching fish just makes your mind work, if you are thinking about fish or or other things i guess its a good stimulator.

Jordan it looks like theres a wierd lump on Lillie's neck in that picure. I am envious that you have so many pets.

We used to have a cat. He was called Tommy and has a piece of his ear missing, thats all I remember of him.

My brother had a hamster which was an awesome pet. Only problem with that was feeding it, and I think it's death was caused by being fed beer by a friends dad.

I had a goldfish I won from a funfair. Lasted me 4 years, got some disease, bloated up lost scales then died. Flushed it down the toilet.

We've replaced Tommy with our neighbours cat whom you know about because of my posting on here about him and his licking his balls all the time.

I've always wanted a dog.

Its nice to see owners showing their appreciation of their pets :woops:

i feel sorry for it even though its dead.

i did laugh when i read that though!!!

Hmmm, I've had quite a few pets over the years.

There was Pedrover the duck, he was pretty cool and loved showers, got eaten by a fox unfortunately.

Then there was the chicken, which was really great as every morning you get the gift of an egg from her. You can't keep them in the house though. We eventually gave our chicken to a local farmer as we were leaving the country.

Rabbits are alright, I've had three and in my experience they tend to be quite vicious and bitey though. It might have been because we got them from animal shelters. They also ruin garden lawns.

Leopard Geckos are quite awesome exotic pets as they're quite placid and fun to watch. The downside is that you have to buy a lot of heating equipment and have food in the form of live crickets, which make quite a lot of noise at night. Chameleons have similar issues.

Another good exotic pet are stick insects. There are loads of different varieties and they're really inexpensive as you can feed them on leaves for privet hedges or on bramble leaves. Downsides are that they breed at ridiculous rates, so you may find yourself overrun with them.

Cats are pretty low maintenance and fun. Ours is called the cat, mainly because we could never think up a name for him and I'm convinced he's immortal as he's about 15 years old now yet doesn't look old at all. Thing with cats is that they shed their fur a lot, so you may end up with fur all over your clothes. They also refuse to understand commands and demand affection at the most irritating times, like when your trying to read or trying to eat.

Finally dogs, which are just plain brilliant. They take quite a lot of care what with walks and such like, but they're so much fun it doesn't really matter.

So yeah, there are some of the pros and cons with the pets I've had/have.

I used to have a stick insect..

You dont have to play with them, and they look cool :)

A kitten and a laser pointer would keep me happy for a lifetime....

Back at home I have 5 cats:

Poppy: Black/White Moggie. She's very timid, and never comes into the house because of the other cats. She lives in my sisters playhouse. Because she's so timid, she gets on well with the local wildlife (we have bird feeders, and therefore well over 20 regular birds). How many cats sunbathe with blackbirds?

n61111907_31104722_5347.jpg

All the rest are indoor cats:

Figaro: British Blue British Shorthair Fat and lazy. Although around once a week he has mad spurts and just darts around the house like mad (he's very fast for a fat cat). Spends most of his time sleeping.

n61111907_30946387_550.jpg

Maximus: Blue Spotted British Shorthair. Quite timid, although once he gets to know someone, very cuddly. He doesn't like getting picked up, tho. He also doesn't get on with female cats.

n61111907_30946383_9208.jpg

Sparkle: Silver Tabby British Shorthair. I can easily tell why Bacardi Breezer chose this kind of cat for their adverts. Sparkle is very energetic, very clever, and very expressive. You can tell from the look on her face whether she's looking for trouble, hungry, wants to be stroked, or just wants to be left alone. She also thinks she's the boss of the house - if you ignore her when she gives "suggestive looks" (Its like she's trying to seduce you) when she wants a stoke, she starts meowing in a very demanding way. She's just full of personality.

n61111907_30946381_8509.jpg

n61111907_31104707_8496.jpg

n61111907_31104723_5630.jpg

Nero: Black Tipped British Shorthair. Dumb as hell - he's even lacking basic things like the ability to land on his feet. He also rolls of tables and the like when you stroke him. His fur is very soft, and he's ultra cuddly. He's gorgeous, too.

n61111907_30946382_8888.jpg

n61111907_30946388_880.jpg

n61111907_30946384_9540.jpg

I currently have no pets but in the past have had a dog called Sally, a pond full of different fish, a Canary called Peter, a Cockatiel called Magic (yes after timmy mallets one) and a budgie called Charlie. I also had a hampster called Pheobe but she died after only 2 years :(

Magic was my favourite. He was so tammed it was unreal. Used to fly around the house, sit on my shoulder and walk all over me and just kinda used to hang out with me all day. Soon as I used to come home from school you could hear him whistling like mad then when he saw me used to fly straight to me and nibble on my ear :)

He used to love eating crisps and was very close to speaking!!. Loved that bird, was well upset when he died.

he looked like this:

cockatiel1.jpg

Cute eh? awww Magic I miss you :(

I have 3 birds and 1 cat, the cat is more low maintenance then the birds and its a better company imo. Get a female cat, they won't pee around the house, they like lots of company and in general their just like persons.

All our cats are female and they still pee everywhere. =/

Anyway, we've also had a ton of rabbits as kids, which are fun to cuddle (though we kept them outside). Also had chickens, which are cool for the eggs, and soft to stroke (if you can catch them, which can be a challenge). We had a hamster last year but he died cause of the heat during summer. =(

Also had some waterturtles at one point and a ton of stick insects, which breed like crazy, and it's kinda scary to hear them bite on leaves at night (or hear them drop from their branches, silly creatures).

Dogs all the way though. =D

I've got 2 budgies and a rabbit, I always used to want a dog but I think they're a bit much responsibility for me. The birds are great because they can just play together happily and they're fun to watch. A rabbit is a bit harder to look after with cleaning the hutch out but he's really friendly and never bites. He's started rubbing his chin on everything now, I'm not sure why maybe it's a territory thing.

Sign in to follow this