NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
MoogleViper

Death

Oh I wasn't saying that you don't - they were seperate points :)

Well... this is the way I've always looked at it. If you consider science as the logic behind our existence, then you're still always left with "why". Not just "why do we exist" but... why do we have personalities? Why do we love music, why does sex feel good? Why does comedy make us laugh, why do tragedies make us cry? Why do bees have flowers to pollenate? They're two seperate species, yet they've evolved to depend on each other as though there was some sort of consciousness linking the two. "Why" is an important question to me, it makes me feel better :)

I know you were saying it to me I just wanted to clear up why I'm not.

I love why.

If there's nothing after death, what was the point in being alive in the first place? That's the kind of question I like to cling to when the thought of non-existence starts to drive me a lil' bit loopy. I'm amazed at the number of people who say they don't fear death, despite lacking in faith. Perhaps they simply haven't thought about the future they'll never see, the end of thought, the lack of choice, the uncertainty of going nowhere - or perhaps they're just putting on a brave facade and trying to sound cool.

Just because I say I dont fear death doesn't mean I have no faith. I was brought up in a Roman Catholic house. I am a Catholic.

Just because I say I dont fear death doesn't mean I have no faith. I was brought up in a Roman Catholic house. I am a Catholic.
Why does everyone think I was talking directly to them :heh: It's the people that don't fear death but do have faith that don't suprise me. What is there to fear if you believe in an afterlife? Even if you leave people behind, you believe you can watch over them, and will see them again.

I've not been afraid of death since my grandfather died. I actually see it as part of life.

I imagine death is like going to sleep and that you'll also wake up. I'm not particularly afraid of it anymore. Sure I don't want to die soon but I see it as an inevitable and necessary part of life.

I'm so agnostic that, if I get stinking rich, I might get cryogenically frozen until they either 100% prove the existence of an afterlife, or cure ageing and death.

Why does everyone think I was talking directly to them :heh: It's the people that don't fear death but do have faith that don't suprise me. What is there to fear if you believe in an afterlife? Even if you leave people behind, you believe you can watch over them, and will see them again.

Apologies! It's the way you worded it!

:heh:

I have absolutely no fear of dying, Life is precious and can be taken away at any moment - so I might as well enjoy it as much as possible. I've lost enough people in my life to understand the pain it causes, I'm more concerned how my family would handle my death than me actually dying.

Weird, me too.

I used to be afraid of death, but then I realised that I was only effectively afriad of dieing without fulfilling what I wanted to do in life, which is to have a family and get a decent job (and rich), so that effectively taught me to life life to it's fullest, I suppose.

As for an afterlife, though, I used to believe that there wasn't, then I did, but now I don't know.

I think that death is one of the most talked about things there is. Nobody knows what there will be, but people have different beliefs, theories, opinions. Maybe people will believe in what they want to happen.

There are endless possibilities of what could happen. I find it hard to understand anyone who says ' I think this will happen '. How do you know? Anything could happen.

There are still things in life that nobody really knows about. Im talking dreams, deja vu. Mostly everyone experiences them but no-one can quite explain it. Deja Vu - you know that youve been through this before but how do you know.

Im fairly scared of death, because you dont know what will happen when it arrives. If at the end of life nothing happened, that would be extremely strange. You have all of these last thoughts about life and then they are instantly erased from your mind once you're dead.

Death is a subject that makes you have so many thoughts, but its just to hard to express them.

i had a near death experience about 5 years ago, since then i havent really feared death or felt like it's unknown. I still want to achieve alot in this life. The only thing that i find scary is the lead up to death, how long or painful it might be.

I used to be afraid of death, but then I realised that I was only effectively afriad of dieing without fulfilling what I wanted to do in life, which is to have a family and get a decent job (and rich), so that effectively taught me to life life to it's fullest, I suppose.

But once you're dead, you're not gonna have to feel as if you missed out on stuf, and you won't have to worry anymore about what others think of you.

But once you're dead, you're not gonna have to feel as if you missed out on stuf, and you won't have to worry anymore about what others think of you.

That isnt fact though! Your theory isnt neccessarily correct. What if after life you were made to experience all shame again and look back on mistakes and regrets you made? It wouldnt be as good then!

Because I could not stop for Death

By Emily Dickinson

Because I could not stop for Death,

He kindly stopped for me;

The carriage held but just ourselves

And Immortality.

We slowly drove, he knew no haste,

And I had put away

My labor, and my leisure too,

For his civility.

We passed the school, where children strove

At recess, in the ring;

We passed the fields of gazing grain,

We passed the setting sun.

Or rather, be passed us;

The dews grew quivering and chill,

For only gossamer my gown,

My tippet only tulle.

We paused before house that seemed

A swelling of the ground;

The roof was scarcely visible,

The cornice but a mound.

Since then 'tis centuries, and yet each

Feels shorter than the day

I first surmised the horses' heads

Were toward eternity

The poem focuses on the concept of life after death. This poem’s setting mirrors the circumstances by which death approaches, and death appears kind and compassionate. It is through the promise of immortality that fear is removed, and death not only becomes acceptable, but welcomed as well.

Sorry for the long read. I really like this poem. I don't fear death. The only thing I fear about death is how painful it might be.

I see death as just another necessary part of life and not really anything to be afraid of. The chances are it'll just be like before being born, so we've all been there already in a way. Plus, everyone else in history has gone and done it so I don't want to miss out, it's one of the things everybody has in common.

Actually, probably the scariest part of life, is life itself. Unlike death it is entirely unpredictable how it will turn out and much of it is your own responsibility, which is frankly a terrifying prospect. No wonder babies cry so much, they're probably worried constantly.

Sign in to follow this