Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mac Thread

Charlie

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this McPhee fella has just let the power go to his head. But I would too if I were a sub-1000 post newbie nobody had heard of, and I was suddenly made a mod.

well one things for certain, he won't open it again now it's closed.

I find the censorship outraggious. There was nothing wrong with the thread except for a few hassles here and there. But the police doesn't break up a group of people when they're having an heated discussion, now do they? And the treat to close down the Mac-thread as wel was just stupid. I'm sorry, if that's politics around here, things apparantly have changed. For the worst.

They've even taken to stealth post deletion in here now. Disgraceful :mad:

They've even taken to stealth post deletion in here now. Disgraceful :mad:

Just wait untill they delete that one because you posted my post, wich was supposed to be forgotten.

The times they're a changing. For the worst.

This place needs a mac thread , especially as there is a multitude of Windows/PC related threads so lets hope that it is not decided that lockage of this is the best option.

The mac vs Windows lock I can kind of understand , so lets hope that mac bashers can stay out of this thread (the reverse is also applicable) * attempts to keep the peace*.

whats stealth post deletion and when did the threaten to close this thread.

i wonder if theres a way to only allow certain members in a thread (like the opposite of banning people from the thread)

He said he was keeping an eye on the mac thread since it might be closed too, but he deleted that hwen he edited his 'PM me'-message.

Nonetheless, this isn't working anymore. I don't get the feeling I'm free to say what I want here, because I might be banned for my opinions upon McPhee, who can do whatever he likes.

McPhee wanted to close down the mac vs. windows thread and wait untill the heat was off to open a new, general OS thread. But he didn't do it and he only made the mob more angry, so he's not sure if he can either unlock the thread (wich would make him look bad) or open a new thread, wich would also make him look like a ridiculous donkey.

I hope he doesn't delete this comment, then. Nothing wrong with telling what we're up to, not fellas?

EDIT:

heh, looks like Jasper posted some of the stuff i PM'd him.

Firstly i never threatened to lock this thread. I did however threaten to ban people from it (although i haven't, yet).

Secondly, from when i locked the Mac vs PC thread i was going to start a new OS thread but i was waiting until all this had died down. I don't want the new thread taking off how the old thread and the recent posts in this one left off

I definitely will not be unlocking the Mac vs Windows thread. I might start a new thread, it all depends now on how things go over the next few days

P.S. Say what you like about me, attack me if you like. I won't ban you or delete you're posts for that. What i do object to is people cluttering up useful threads with this crap. I will ban and delete posts if it keeps the thread from veering wildly off-topic.

I've restored the deleted posts but if this carries on i will start deleting/banning

To be honest, I despised the Pc vs Mac thread. The thread screamed of elitism and fanboyism. If there was a thread which told you directly how this forum should NOT be, that thread was a perfect example. Save it for future use. You'll look back over that thread in a few years time and you'll all be ashamed. :heh:

Guest Jordan

You guys know the rules, no insulting staff first off.

McPhee might just be some "Under 1000 post newbie" to quote Fields, which to be honest, i nearly gave you an infraction for... but he has good judgement and thats exactly why i chose him for this job.

Secondly, the thread was getting stupid. It was just petty insults, stupid judgements and idiocy left and right. You wanna talk about Macs you keep it in here and we'll keep PC stuff seperate. The fact of the matter is, it needed closing.

McPhee might just be some "Under 1000 post newbie" to quote Fields, which to be honest, i nearly gave you an infraction for... but he has good judgement and thats exactly why i chose him for this job.

Fuck off. It was a light hearted comment, said in jest. I can't believe you even considered an infraction. I think that tells us all we need to know about the elitism that's ruining this place.

I agree with McPhee/Switch's decision to let things cool off. Sometimes, it's for the best.

And, since when did post count ever have anything to do with being a mod. Being a mod or admin is about having sound judgement/making good decisions, and so far I think he's done that.

Edit: Fields, to be honest, if you had said that to me, I'd have felt a bit aggrieved or a bit belittled.

That thread WAS getting a bit weirded out, but there was some decent discussion in among the bollocks and misunderstanding etc. It did need a cooldown. I think the post count thing has something more to do with having a good feel for the place-being a regular as opposed to a 'casual' or 'newbie' but i like Switch/McPhee that dude what which did close that there thread.

Quick question: Should ALL things affect Mac users be cast into this thread so that only PC discussions are allowed elsewhere on this board?

Nah Takeo, theres no problem with Mac stuff in other threads. Just use you're judgement. To pull an example out of the hat, there was a thread a while back about Voice Recognition in Windows Vista. Comparing it to Voice Recognition in OS X would be OK, but belittling Vista wouldn't.

I actually think that a discussion about different OS's should happen, it's just there wasn't a lot of real discussion going on. As i've said i'll be making a new thread at some point. I want it to go down the lines of the Browser Guide and other similar threads, comparatively the Mac vs Windows thread was getting out of hand

I'll add seperate threads for iPhone discussion and any others that people want too, some stuff is appealing to too wide an audience to be stuck in this thread.

O'de love to see where exactly this will be in five days. But on the other side, this thread has become the secret meeting place for all those who don't agree with the staff. But like Jordan said, no Staff insulting. Wich would lead to no critisism and therefore to a non-democratic way of lfie with freedom being taken away when the leaders want it.

Ah, I finally get the use of philosophy on school.

O'de love to see where exactly this will be in five days. But on the other side, this thread has become the secret meeting place for all those who don't agree with the staff. But like Jordan said, no Staff insulting. Wich would lead to no critisism and therefore to a non-democratic way of lfie with freedom being taken away when the leaders want it.

Ah, I finally get the use of philosophy on school.

Criticising and insulting are two different things.

Secondly, the thread was getting stupid. It was just petty insults, stupid judgements and idiocy left and right. You wanna talk about Macs you keep it in here and we'll keep PC stuff seperate. The fact of the matter is, it needed closing.

The fact is, people can't seem to discuss Mac vs Windows without having a go at the other side (I include you in this). Personally, I think it's all down to which interface you want to use, and whether you're willing to pay more money for some nice design.

The thread was a bad idea from the start. People with Macs shouldn't act like they're better than PC users, and PC users shouldn't act like pissy little girls when a Mac user is about.

Nah Takeo, theres no problem with Mac stuff in other threads. Just use you're judgement. To pull an example out of the hat, there was a thread a while back about Voice Recognition in Windows Vista. Comparing it to Voice Recognition in OS X would be OK, but belittling Vista wouldn't.

I actually think that a discussion about different OS's should happen, it's just there wasn't a lot of real discussion going on. As i've said i'll be making a new thread at some point. I want it to go down the lines of the Browser Guide and other similar threads, comparatively the Mac vs Windows thread was getting out of hand

I'll add seperate threads for iPhone discussion and any others that people want too, some stuff is appealing to too wide an audience to be stuck in this thread.

I think you made the right decision in locking the thread, and I think another one would be ill advised. Sure, if people have questions regarding each OS then go for it, but I can only see another thread going the same way as the last.

I would like an iPhone thread though.

The fact is, people can't seem to discuss Mac vs Windows without having a go at the other side (I include you in this). Personally, I think it's all down to which interface you want to use, and whether you're willing to pay more money for some nice design.

The thread was a bad idea from the start. People with Macs shouldn't act like they're better than PC users, and PC users shouldn't act like pissy little girls when a Mac user is about./QUOTE]

Mhm ideally it would have lived as a thread which just judges the merits and cons of each option. I use both and I can think of benefits of using my PC and benefits of using my Mac. I don't feel as if one has to be better than the other. But some people eh?

since the iPhone is a mac (it runs a version of leopard) it should be discussed here.

i'm going camping this weekend (obviously with no internet acess) and i hope this thread is still open upon my return.

the easiest solution to this on xsorbit would be to make a child board on tech PC called the Mac Board and ban anyone from it who trys to start a rant.

this thread really isn't the mac thread anymore its the general rant about the forum thread and that wasn't what the thread was originaly intended for.

i don't think we should have anymore threads that have people talking about macs and pcs both.

;474780]
The fact is' date=' people can't seem to discuss Mac vs Windows without having a go at the other side (I include you in this). Personally, I think it's all down to which interface you want to use, and whether you're willing to pay more money for some nice design.

The thread was a bad idea from the start. People with Macs shouldn't act like they're better than PC users, and PC users shouldn't act like pissy little girls when a Mac user is about./QUOTE']

Mhm ideally it would have lived as a thread which just judges the merits and cons of each option. I use both and I can think of benefits of using my PC and benefits of using my Mac. I don't feel as if one has to be better than the other. But some people eh?

Pretty much my thinking (except I only use a PC at work as I'm forced to, I'd much rather use a Mac, nothing against PC, I just enjoy using a Mac)

since the iPhone is a mac (it runs a version of leopard) it should be discussed here.

No it shouldn't, this thread should definitely be for Mac COmputer issues, problems and hardware-y type things general comments about apple maybe. The iPhone should have its own thread as it will have a massive amount of hype around it when it finally comes out here-or a date is announced for that matter.

Can we all just somehow draw a line under all this, decide what threads are used for what (staff peoples should do this) and start discussing things and not making everyone look like 6 year old pillocks.

To try and get this thread back on track.....

Downloaded the free trial of Aperture yesterday, and I think it's really fecking good. I do like photography, and I would like to get this and get more into it. Not sure I can really justify £200 on it though when I'm not a professional or anything. I am interested in buying something a bit different to the usual games I always buy, but meh... not sure.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!