NEurope
ndreamer

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Now that's what I'm talkin about!

Any info on what comments the reviewers made?

- Dragon Quest IX (10/10/10/10, 40 points): The newest game in Japan's national RPG love affair receives the tenth perfect score Famitsu has given in its 23-year history -- and the fourth they've awarded since the start of 2008.

Famitsu tends to delay their reviews of the really big-name titles -- the DQs and FFs and Marios of the world -- until after they're released into stores. Exactly why is left to speculation, but in this particular case, the editors seemed to wait for a chance to fully try out DQIX's multiplayer mode, which they mostly enjoyed. " Multiplayer can be frustrating given its command-based nature, but the unique suspense it offers is nice," one reviewer wrote. "I'm not going to say I have no complaints, but they're all trivial."

Otherwise, it's all love for this game. "The balance here, keeping the player just a bit anxious while guiding him along, is sublime," one writer said. "You're constantly driven to keep going, and the deeper you get, the more addicted you become." Further shout-outs were given to the "surprisingly severe" battle system and the music, which one reviewer found "hard to believe it was coming from a DS; it's stirring and drives you to adventure."

"Things may look different, but the feel is classic Dragon Quest," Famitsu summed up. "It's an RPG that people from truly any generation can enjoy."

Stolen from 1up.com.

With this + Golden Sun coming out I actually think about buying a DS. I loved DQVIII so I probably will enjoy this one too, to say the least.

With this + Golden Sun coming out I actually think about buying a DS. I loved DQVIII so I probably will enjoy this one too, to say the least.

I reckon you've got plenty of time to make your mind up though anyway.

I reckon you've got plenty of time to make your mind up though anyway.

Don't mind. Need to save money anyway. :D

Ah famistu... I;m sure this is a good game but I wouln't believe their reviews for a second.. nintendogs got a perfect score lol.

Nintendogs was a good game, just not good for some people like us :heh:

Plus I think Nintendogs got good scores as a whole so should we diss all the other reviewers? :heh:

Famitsu Sales: 06/29 - 07/05

01. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (Square Enix) - 2,343,000 / NEW

02. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 93,000 / 600,000

03. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 53,000 / 274,000

04. [PSP] Boku no Natsuyasumi 4: Seitouchi Shounen Tanteidan, Boku to Himitsu no Chizu (SCE) - 22,000 / 79,000

05. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (Sega) - 15,000 / 117,000

06. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, PSP the Best (Capcom) - 12,000 / 819,000

07. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 10,000 / 3,454,000

08. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix) - 8,100 / 485,000

09. [NDS] Sloane to MacHale no Nazo no Monogatari (Level 5) - 6,700 / 156,000

10. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon) - 6,600 / 2,441,000

Ah famistu... I;m sure this is a good game but I wouln't believe their reviews for a second.. nintendogs got a perfect score lol.

My interpretation of Famitsu (and I could be wrong) is that they may try to keep publishers happy, but they still only dish out the 10s if they mean it. If all four of them really think this is a "10", I'm optimistic.

Not sure how three of them could think Phantom Hourglass was a "10", but I agree with their perfect scores for Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker (Twilight Princess was 9, 9, 10, 10 for both formats).

As for Nintendogs, they were probably being a bit too generous in an "It's perfect for its audience" kind of way, which is an issue, I admit, as something like that can never be as good as Zelda or Dragon Quest.

I think Nintendogs is outstanding. :heh: Its one of the games that defines the DS and what its all about!

DLC rumor:

There are 25 treasure map bosses, 12 of which are old dq bosses: all of these bosses start at lv1, and level up as you beat them, making the next encounter harder than the previous one. It is also possible to recreate all of the past game heroes, as well as the main characters in this game with downloadable quests and ultra rare drops.

Sounds amazing if it's true.

Also; it looks like they are re-releasing a load of the soundtracks starting in October, including the DQVIII soundtrack.

I ordered one of these last night. Can't wait for that to arrive.

Edited by Ike

- Square-Enix still believes the game can top 5 million sold in Japan

- people are trading in the game at 1/2 to 1/3 the usual trade-in rate, which Square-Enix believes is due to the downloadable quests

- Square-Enix isn't worried about the negative Amazon reviews: "It's the internet. This is to be expected. I'm telling the creators to ignore it as well. In my experience, there's no relation (between these reviews and sales.)"

- Square-Enix is currently looking into the other countries they plan to release the game in, but that won't happen until after April 2010

:(

They better release DQVI before then! Although I doubt that will happen.

:(

They better release DQVI before then! Although I doubt that will happen.

Aw, I was hoping for this December, but I suppose next year is reasonable. I just hope Europe gets it as soon as the US, because I don't want to be tempted to import. :)

Have the Japanese had Dragon Quest VI on DS yet?

Have the Japanese had Dragon Quest VI on DS yet?

Nope. It's been pretty quiet about DQVI I think they wanted to release DQIX first, but the delay affected both releases. Maybe S-E will be nice and release DQVI in Europe/America before Japan.

Square-Enix did announced DQVI as Dragon Quest: Realms of Reverie way back in May 08.

Square-Enix did announced DQVI as Dragon Quest: Realms of Reverie way back in May 08.

Yeah but that was it. We haven't seen any screen shots or news of it since.

Siliconera : Dragon Quest IX is a mega hit with over 3.5 million copies sold in Japan alone. A blockbuster title like DQIX should get an international release, right?

During a Q&A session Yoichi Wada, CEO of Square Enix, said they “considering” an overseas release and are deciding which territories to release Dragon Quest IX in. However, Dragon Quest IX won’t leave Japan anytime soon. Their plan is to launch Dragon Quest IX after April 2010.

Thought I would mention that Dragon Quest IX sales are now almost > DQVIII and should easily overtake next week in sales.

Now all thats left to beat is DQVII to be the number one Dragon Quest game in the series :D

I know it's been said before, but it's nice that Nintendo want to support the series:

I cannot elaborate on the details, but let me talk about one title with which we have come to a basic agreement. Nintendo will collaborate with Square-Enix on the overseas sales of Dragon Quest IX that they launched in Japan for Nintendo DS in July this year. For the U.S. and European sales, we would like to fully cooperate with them. Nintendo would like to play a key role in expanding the Dragon Quest title in these markets because our preposition is that such quality title could and should sell more in the overseas markets. That is the basic agreement, and we will decide the details from now. - Shinji Hatano (General Manager, Marketing Division)

Shame Square Enix are taking so long getting it translated.

Thought you were bumping the thread with some release info. :(

Would be a laugh if Nintendo succeed in popularising Dragon Quest here in the west, then the series moves to non-Nintendo consoles after DQ X on Wii.

I wish I did.

Would be a laugh if Nintendo succeed in popularising Dragon Quest here in the west, then the series moves to non-Nintendo consoles after DQ X on Wii.

One thing I don't get is why it isnt more popular yet Final Fantasy is...

One thing I don't get is why it isnt more popular yet Final Fantasy is...

Final Fantasy wasn't really that popular in the west until FF VII. Sure, it had its fan following, but nothing like what it has been since VII and beyond. I guess with Dragon Quest games always being more meek in their approach, whereas Final Fantasy is full of pizzazz, DQ hasn't been able to grab the attention of the masses.

*awaits killer kirby's FF bashing, DQ pimpin reply :grin:*

I'm proper stuck on the 1st chapter of chapters of the chosen...bit where you go into the forest and go down a well to a dungeon...I didn't get everything I needed I don't think and when I try to revisit I don't seem to be able to find the well again I just walk aimlessly around the overworld forest and nothing! BOOOOOO!

I'm proper stuck on the 1st chapter of chapters of the chosen...bit where you go into the forest and go down a well to a dungeon...I didn't get everything I needed I don't think and when I try to revisit I don't seem to be able to find the well again I just walk aimlessly around the overworld forest and nothing! BOOOOOO!

Use the flying shoes outside, the ones you find in the well.

Final Fantasy wasn't really that popular in the west until FF VII. Sure, it had its fan following, but nothing like what it has been since VII and beyond. I guess with Dragon Quest games always being more meek in their approach, whereas Final Fantasy is full of pizzazz, DQ hasn't been able to grab the attention of the masses.

*awaits killer kirby's FF bashing, DQ pimpin reply *

Final Fantasy has a shitty ass story ever since Kitase and Nomura got their hands on the series, yet of course, people seem to like nice shiny sparkly objects like Zippers and shit.

It's downright annoying knowing that a game like DQIX will not sell anywhere near the amount to what FFXIII going to sell in the US.

I really hope Nintendo contribute and indeed make it look family friendly type of game (Which it is) a game where people can pick up and play. Iwata loves the series and bought a PS1 just for Dragon Quest VII, so I think he really wants to make Dragon Quest the main RPG in the US rather then Final Fantasy.

It's a hard challenge indeed, but I hope they somehow accomplish it ^^

Use the flying shoes outside, the ones you find in the well.

Final Fantasy has a shitty ass story ever since Kitase and Nomura got their hands on the series, yet of course, people seem to like nice shiny sparkly objects like Zippers and shit.

It's downright annoying knowing that a game like DQIX will not sell anywhere near the amount to what FFXIII going to sell in the US.

I really hope Nintendo contribute and indeed make it look family friendly type of game (Which it is) a game where people can pick up and play. Iwata loves the series and bought a PS1 just for Dragon Quest VII, so I think he really wants to make Dragon Quest the main RPG in the US rather then Final Fantasy.

It's a hard challenge indeed, but I hope they somehow accomplish it ^^

I don't seem to have the flying shoes although I'm pretty sure I picked them up before quick saving and quiting. Going to Angus in jail doesn't result in him retelling me to go to the forest or anything....

The shoes are called Talaria, just in case you were looking for the wrong item name (I've done that before), try checking Rangar and Healies's inventery and the bag if you haven't already.