NEurope
ndreamer

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Pretty interesting how they talked about Dragon Warrior and the localisation of the older games (I think google translate's translation is terrible). Has anyone done a good translation of the interview?

Line up for the game starts:

original.jpg

original-1.jpg

original-2.jpg

vOAW4xOm35QZXhidJoQAef2ff1cCMfPG.jpg

vPh9n22yAo3m4bTz9TYL8841dxo3MJt2.jpg

vhDTxU9Ix4fZH4gzVrYjDkh2SefuRHkh.jpg

Edited by Dante

I guess at least with the release falling on a weekend, there won't be a need for a public holiday in the country.

Shame we won't see the same kinds of lines here when Square-Enix release it in English (hurry up SE!), I've played it a little bit and it's excellent.

Looks like the soundtrack is due out in August. Play-asia did originally have it listed for release today but it must've been delayed.

We you wondering how many people in Japan ventured out to pick up Dragon Quest IX on launch day? You've seen the pictures and video footage of the launch lines, but did you have a guestimate as to how many people actually picked up a copy?

Early reports are stating that Dragon Quest IX managed to move 2,877,000 units on day one. Keep in mind, we heard that there were 2 million preorders, and 3 million units sent to stores. If that's the actual day-one total, than Japan has a brand-new first place record holder. The previous day-one top-seller goes to Final Fantasy VIII with 2.5 million units.

Link

Fuck. Me.

How dare it take Final Fantasy VIIIs top spot!

*shakes angry fist*

EDIT: No it hasn't! Yey!

Dragon Quest IX sells 2,343,440 copies in the first two days. This surpasses Pokemon Diamond/Pearl for the best first week DS sales, but falls behind Final Fantasy VIII's 2,504,044 debut. DQVIII debuted at 2,238,000.
Edited by Hero-of-Time

*shakes angry fist*

Boo! It's should have sold more :P

Seems the Japanese don't actually like the game according to Amazon.co.jp user scores:

• 5 stars (80)

• 4 stars (78)

• 3 stars (98)

• 2 stars (122)

• 1 star (290)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/スクウェア・エニックス-13306241-ドラゴンクエストIX-星空の守り人/dp/B000LXD7HO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I was going to say, the funny thing about sales is that they don't actually have much to do with the quality of the game. The quality of Dragon Quest VIII probably sold this more than the actual quality of DQ IX!

I'm still looking forward to it though. Have Famitsu reviewed it yet? I do still trust their opinions a great deal.

*shakes angry fist*

Oh but H-O-T if the trend continues with each installment since DQVI to have better sales in the first two days, and Iwata wanting to push DQX to an even wider audience...expect things to change when a certain game on the Wii comes out :heh:

I was going to say, the funny thing about sales is that they don't actually have much to do with the quality of the game. The quality of Dragon Quest VIII probably sold this more than the actual quality of DQ IX!

I'm still looking forward to it though. Have Famitsu reviewed it yet? I do still trust their opinions a great deal.

The thing is though, they are complaining about stupid things. They don't like the Sandy character (the fairy, I think that's her name) who apparently doesn't show up much, they don't like the "dress up" and because it only has one save slot (bit of a pain but no reason to give it a bad review). They apparently don't like the new battle system, which the exact same system used in DQVIII (and any other DQ for that matter), except they added a combo system and the characters run around a bit more.

I can't find a Famtisu score, so they mustn't have reviewed it yet.

Don't think Famitsu have reviewed DQ 9- probs do it this week.

I think the one save slot is a pain yeah, its gonna take a lot of courage for me to wipe my file and start a new game, lol. Though I have other titles such as Etrian Odyssey which only have one save and I like it just fine.

Oh but H-O-T if the trend continues with each installment since DQVI to have better sales in the first two days, and Iwata wanting to push DQX to an even wider audience...expect things to change when a certain game on the Wii comes out :heh:

True but the fact remains that FFVIII is still the one to beat.

*does happy dance*

I've heard the Amazon users writing the bad reviews were put on there before the game came out and are just bitter it's on a handheld or Nintendo exclusive.

Reading comments from people who actually have the game say they can't stop playing.

So my advice is don't take the Amazon reviews seriously.

Downloadable quests will start 17th July, and one new one will be added every week for a year. That's a lot of new quests.

Famitsu DQIX - 10 10 10 10

First game of the Dragon Quest series to get a perfect score

I approve this score :P

Care to post a link? (It can go up on the main site)

Now that's what I'm talkin about!

Any info on what comments the reviewers made?

Now that's what I'm talkin about!

Any info on what comments the reviewers made?

Ah famistu... I;m sure this is a good game but I wouln't believe their reviews for a second.. nintendogs got a perfect score lol.