NEurope
Wesley

Does anyone put jokes in their essays?

If it's a personal reflective essay jokes/humour is good.

Discursive - no

Critical - no

That's what we were told. I don't put jokes in any, but only because of the fact that I can't make a decent joke.

If it's a personal reflective essay jokes/humour is good.

Discursive - no

Critical - no

That's what we were told. I don't put jokes in any, but only because of the fact that I can't make a decent joke.

yeah, nobody gets my jokes :(

i just leave it to serious generally. if you are good at making jokes, you should as long as they arent offensive and your essay isnt composed of only jokes. i think that wouldn't go down too well :heh:

My personal statement consists of my best jokes only.

Personal statements are a joke anyway, uselessness.

I once made a joke in an essay about nutrition where I called the school food crap. The teacher pointed it out when he was talking about the biggest mistakes we made. :)

yes i used to do it all the time. But you have to be carefull, because if it's an important essay and the guy who have to judge it is a ****.. your screwd.. on the other hand I have also gotten positiv response on doing it.. if there is one thing i can't stand it's people taking themselves to serious.. i hope it will never happen to me

Not necessarily, in certain circumstances it can be the difference between a definate and a conditional.

Not necessarily, in certain circumstances it can be the difference between a definate and a conditional.

You sound like a teacher :P

And not necessarily, Warwick bumped me up to definate after I put them as my insurance rather than firm.

For medicine, dentistry, Oxbridge apps. and vetinary courses they make all the difference. Afterall, what else is there to distinguish between kids who can all gain AAA at A-Level?

Jokes, jokes, jokes........... Hmmm, well from my experience the won't mark you down for it, but, they also won't give you bonus marks for it.......... You see, they have a certain marking scheme, for every point on this list you fulfil they give you 1 mark...... Every mark you get brings you closer to that grade you want........... I'm pretty sure they don't have a jokes section. :-/

Oh and unless stated you shouldn't get marked down for using them...... Oh and I would watch out with that joke you are thinking of using, you might just get an old lady marking your work and they could take offence meaning they might not treat you fairly. :(

I've done some marking of second year uni students work and it is unbelievably boring, so funny things were always welcome. I didn't mark them down, or up, for it but it made my life nicer.

i like to put jokes in my work - i once did a history essay on custers last stand in the style of 'through the keyhole' and got a very good mark :)