NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Gaijin von Snikbah

Japan Wii Launch

I don't know about you guys but the man in the Wii costume looks a little angry but I personally would totally wear the costume:D

wiijapan.jpg

wiijapan2.jpg

wiijapan4.jpg

wiijapan5.jpg

Pretty insane. Many shops were sold out a day before the Wii was actually available.

So I guess that makes Wii the number 1 next gen console in Japan from the first day (unless sony have figured out how to make those diodes for their PS3 :P)

Glad to hear that it's proving so popular in Japan. I prefer the European Zelda boxart though.

I'm assuming you intended this thread to be on the Wii board? Well either way... it ought to be. *moves*

A Wii mod may want to merge it with the other Japanese launch thread.

Good stuff, Japanese launches seem to be much more civilised than in the West.

Very cool.. I'd be a little peaved personally when the US is getting twice as many units.. but never mind. I can't even buy Altoids mints that are made in the UK.

Probably less resellers there too. I'm sure they'll restock by the end of the week.

Il ove that guy in the costume actually put a big A on his face aswell.

Il ove that guy in the costume actually put a big A on his face aswell.

I never noticed that on his face was an A till you mentioned it.I prefer our boxart for TP aswell.

Good stuff, Japanese launches seem to be much more civilised than in the West.

Very cool.. I'd be a little peaved personally when the US is getting twice as many units.. but never mind. I can't even buy Altoids mints that are made in the UK.

Probably less resellers there too. I'm sure they'll restock by the end of the week.

I feel your pain. I've only ever seen the normal altoids here I need that wintergreen goodness.

I never noticed that on his face was an A till you mentioned it.I prefer our boxart for TP aswell.

I thought it was just make up or some guy who paints his face you know like tattoos, but then i saw that line above his lip. And tought it looked like an A :heh:

Wii is almost here guys! Its already hit the 2 main territories with sellouts. We better make sure the same thing happens in Europe.

It already has. Reports predict this to be the fastest selling console in Europe ever, and with 2nd round pre-orders already sold out it'll be impossibi=le to get one.

It already has. Reports predict this to be the fastest selling console in Europe ever, and with 2nd round pre-orders already sold out it'll be impossibi=le to get one.

Lets wait and see if the reports are proved right:laughing: Anyway lets buy up as much Wii related stuff as we need. Console to software ratios need to be very high.

Glad to hear that it's proving so popular in Japan. I prefer the European Zelda boxart though.

You're crazy.

You're crazy.

Haha, I just think the Japanese boxart looks like a quick photoshop job, I much prefer the golden artwork on the European version.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. I guess I just don't like Wolf Link being on the front; and the Jap one has the dark & light sign logo things.

Japanese launch sales report in! Zelda not #1 Wii game!

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/749/749151p1.html

US, December 4, 2006 - Sales totals for the first two days following the Wii's Japanese launch on 12/2 are in. Media Create, by way of Japanese gaming site Game Site EG, reports that the Wii sold 350,358 units over its first two days.

It shouldn't be much of a surprise given the focus of Nintendo's advertising campaign, but Wii Sports was the number one selling game over the two day period, coming in at 176,167 units. Number two was Hajimete no Wii, aka Wii Play. The simple game collection that comes bundled with a second Wiimote sold 175,297 units.

Are you shocked to find that Zelda wasn't the biggest Wii title in Japan? The long awaited revival of realistic Link placed third over the two day period, selling 139,011 units.

Here's how the other launch titles sold:

4. Wario: Smooth Moves (Nintendo, 63,954)

5. Super Swing Golf (Tecmo, 16,908)

6. Ennichi no Tatsujin (Bandai Namco, 10,763)

7. Red Steel (Ubisoft, 9,392)

8. SD Gundam Scad Hammers (Bandai Namco, 9,226)

9. Tamagotchi Pika Pikai Daitouryou (Bandai Namco, 8,042)

10. Elebits (Konami, 5,791)

11. Super Monkey Ball (Sega, 4,423)

12. Crayon Shin Chan (Banpresto, 4,248)

13. Trauma Center (Atlus, 4,107)

14. Kororinpa (Hudson, 2,416)

15. Necro-Nesia (Spike, 1,934)

16. Wing Island (Hudson, 800)

Wii software sold a total of 631,480 units, resulting in a hardware to software tie ratio of 1.80.

While the ratio is much higher than the below 1 ratio that the PS3 faced, Nintendo managed to account of most of the software sales. Heavily advertised titles like Tamagotchi, Elebits and Crayon Shin Chan did not manage to cross the 10,000 mark. For Bandai Namco, this could be a bit disappointing, considering that the first DS Tamagotchi game sold a million units.

Nintendo has promised to ship a million Wii systems to Japan by the end of the year. The Japanese market will also see some big first party titles in a couple of weeks, including Pokemon Battle Revolution. The system and the Nintendo software should sell well, but the big question is how third parties will fare on the typically first party friendly Nintendo hardware.

1.80 attach rate isn't too shabby. :) It is a little worrying some third parties did not do too well, failing to cross even 10,000 units. But Namco and Tecmo didn't do too badly. :)

It's a shock to see Trauma Center placed so low.

There has to be one at every launch, doesn't it. :laughing:

He should've painted his face completely to make it look even more like the A button.

Nice first day sales, very impressive. The fact that Wii Sports was the highest selling game shows just how many people are buying the console that are not traditional gamers.

Sign in to follow this